43fqu1e0reya1.jpg

Another day, another acceptable consequence of gun ownership. :(

Yoused

up
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Greg Abbott:
One thing that we can observe very easily and that has there has been a dramatic increase in the amount of anger and violence that's taking place in America.

I see nothing at all wrong with making sure there is a sea of firearms to support America's rising tide of anger and violence. Not a thing.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What’s the odds of a group of migrants being hit in a border town being accidental after Fox News has been beating the drum of an incoming migrant surge, I wonder?
FWIW, the guy driving the Range Rover was Hispanic.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's perfectly fathomable: too many guns, especially ones like the one the shooter used. I don't know this man's views on gun control, but he also said "It's tough when you see a family that's out shopping, having fun, get wiped off the face of the earth because somebody with a gun has some other type of issue." Some other type of issue? If he didn't have the gun, he wouldn't have been able to kill as many people as he did.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's perfectly fathomable: too many guns, especially ones like the one the shooter used. I don't know this man's views on gun control, but he also said "It's tough when you see a family that's out shopping, having fun, get wiped off the face of the earth because somebody with a gun has some other type of issue." Some other type of issue? If he didn't have the gun, he wouldn't have been able to kill as many people as he did.
Exactly, it enables cowards to easily kill as many as possible from a distance.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the guy driving the Range Rover was Hispanic.

Without further detail, I’m not sure what you are trying to get at with this comment. Racial groups are not monoliths, and the motive I suggested was more of a nationalist motive, rather than a racial one.

Throw in the complexities of self-identification, the fact that ”hispanic” refers to multiple ethnic groups, and the fact that those born in different countries than their parents tend to identify with the new country rather than the old, and I don’t see how this conflicts with my speculation.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Some other type of issue? If he didn't have the gun, he wouldn't have been able to kill as many people as he did.

That is unknowable. I mean on the same day? someone drove an SUV into a crowd. People with issues will find an outlet.

Also, why is the argument "if he didn't have a gun" valid when it comes to a shooting, but when it comes to illegal aliens committing crimes, why isn't "if he weren't in the country" valid as well?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Without further detail, I’m not sure what you are trying to get at with this comment. Racial groups are not monoliths, and the motive I suggested was more of a nationalist motive, rather than a racial one.

Throw in the complexities of self-identification, the fact that ”hispanic” refers to multiple ethnic groups, and the fact that those born in different countries than their parents tend to identify with the new country rather than the old, and I don’t see how this conflicts with my speculation.
All that is true. That’s what the “FWIW” was about. It just made it a little less likely.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
A practical and relevant subject for the times. A very Texas alternative to history class.

Texas Bill Would Train Third Graders to Use 'Battlefield' Tourniquets​

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
A practical and relevant subject for the times. A very Texas alternative to history class.

Texas Bill Would Train Third Graders to Use 'Battlefield' Tourniquets​

There needs to be a “gibbering” emoji reaction to stuff like this.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
8 dead, 9 including the shooter.

Once again the good guy with a gun has failed to rise to the occasion. The odds of a good guy with a gun being at a mall in TX are staggeringly high.

This will just continue the gun ownership death spiral mentality. Each incident is just more proof to them that they need guns. Which, again, they will fail to use when the situation calls for it, unlike the code red scenario of somebody ringing their doorbell or driving onto their property.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
That is unknowable. I mean on the same day? someone drove an SUV into a crowd. People with issues will find an outlet.

Also, why is the argument "if he didn't have a gun" valid when it comes to a shooting, but when it comes to illegal aliens committing crimes, why isn't "if he weren't in the country" valid as well?
And if the American citizens who've committed mass shootings in the past hadn't been born, their victims would probably still be alive.

Whether it's people here illegally, folks with mental issues, or whatever, the common denominator is access to guns. The same is true for otherwise peaceful individuals who lack the training and discipline to use firearms responsibly and end up killing someone in the heat of the moment. We don't hear about those incidents as much, but they're a problem too.

Kudos to Steven Spainhouer, the man I commented about earlier, who now says it's time for change:

As in @Eric's post, other countries like Japan have this figured out. And, until we do, gun violence will continue to increase and more children won't live to adulthood because of it.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think making this about race is and has long been beside the point. A number of recent mass shootings have been committed by people of races/ethnicities other than white men. Right wing extremism certainly may be a component in some of these cases (and it’s news to me that there are Hispanic people who identify as Nazis), but that’s only part of the issue. It seems increasingly we are seeing these public mass killings committed by individuals of minority backgrounds. And I think we can agree that regardless of what motive someone might have for committing such a crime, none is justified.

Without addressing the ease of access to extremely deeply weapons and the broken mental health system in this country- including resources/access and involuntary commitment laws, etc- this will only continue to happen and likely at an increasing rate.

Texas is apparently talking about raising the age minimum for assault rifles from 18 to 21. While I don’t think this goes nearly far enough, I fully support this measure. While it wouldn’t have helped in this case, statistically such a law may have prevented a a number of school shootings.

One of my best friends lives in TX with his wife. His wife is very liberal while he is pretty moderate/center-left. He grew up in NY but moved to Texas for his job and they have never really enjoyed having to live there. Despite being a gun owner himself and living in an upscale area, with all these shootings in TX, he and his wife just do not feel safe. They are planning on having kids but are terrified of having raising them there. I’m not sure anywhere is “safe” but it’s pretty disconcerting when tragedy after tragedy occurs and the state government shrugs their shoulders (and then ie after Uvalde reduces restrictions).

Top Bottom
1 2