USA Election 2024

He’s ramping up his “I win or it was rigged” rhetoric. I can’t believe the republican party sanctioned having this guy for another election and is putting the country through this again. He will not concede if he loses, and everyone knows it. And people think that’s ok and will vote for him anyways, smh.

What's interesting is that it's extremely clear to me that he is not the author of this post. I mean, "skullduggery"? Words in all caps when and where it's appropriate for them to be all caps? A coherent message? Properly punctuated? It's rather obvious this isn't him.

So was it written by one of his handlers to match his style, or did he figure out how to get AI to re-write his posts for him?

Also, you're correct. It's even more obvious than it was last time that he's setting himself up again for another attempt to steal things. Plan A - win it, plan b - steal it. He's not a bright man so it's not surprising that he's using the same moves he's used in the past.

I think she is wanting to be able to use her "I'm Speaking" line like she did against Pence. If mics are muted, she won't have that chance.
The other thing, however, is that she will be able to hear him. If she is talking, he will blort his objections at her, and it will distract her, but if the mics are off, the audience will not pick up on his noises, so it will make her look like she is off-balance.

The other thing, however, is that she will be able to hear him. If she is talking, he will blort his objections at her, and it will distract her, but if the mics are off, the audience will not pick up on his noises, so it will make her look like she is off-balance.
I think Harris is savvy enough to deal with Trump's inevitable blortation. She can ignore it or call attention to it once - not by responding to Trump's off-mike blathering, but by letting the audience know what he's up to and what that means about his lack of character. And, if she wants to fight fire with fire, she can do the same back to Trump, though I doubt she'd take that approach.​
If Trump says something that's obviously false or doesn't answer a question, as he did in the first debate when asked about climate change, the moderators should step in. But it will be important for Harris not to take too much time rebutting all Trump's lies and evasions one-by-one. She can quickly state that Trump just lied or didn't respond and quickly pivot to saying what her administration will do about the issue at hand.​

I remember the 2016 election debates with Clinton and trump. With trump acting like a stalker creeping around Clinton as she spoke. Hopefully that won't be tolerated this time.

I remember the 2016 election debates with Clinton and trump. With trump acting like a stalker creeping around Clinton as she spoke. Hopefully that won't be tolerated this time.
That one was a town hall format, with the two of them walking amongst the audience. This one is like the June one, with separate podia that they will be standing at.

Surely a political press corps that spent months arguing that President Biden’s age rendered him mentally unfit, wouldn’t look the other way when the Republican candidate, the oldest person to run for president in American history, is not only old but decompensating before our very eyes. The difference of course is that Biden is aging while Donald is dementing.

American democracy depends upon a thriving fourth estate to function optimally. That’s not what we have right now. Not even close. Independent media is doing its best to step up, but there is still a void left by the failures of those traditional outlets people have been relying on for decades. They are failing us, settling for “both-sides” laziness at the expense of objective facts and, ultimately, democracy. The American people deserve to know what we’re up against. We deserve to be told that there’s a maniac on the loose.

The both-sides part is essential. If Trump and by extension the Republicans have gone off the cliff edge of sanity then the media have to pretend otherwise in order to maintain their position not as arbiters of truth but of neutrality.

If they split screen them like they did in the Biden debate, the audience will see him.

A comparsion of how the press handled leaked e-mails from Ms Clinton's campaign in '16 vs how they reacted to such a gift from inside Individual-ONE's campaign in '24 is an image of stark contrasts. Hers, it was all kinds of fun to talk about, but his, well, it would be totally wrong to even acknowledge their existence.

Because, deranged Nazi millionaires need to be protected, especially when the press is inside the circle of wagons that is being attacked by an Indian.

Vicious attack:

Sources within the (Individual-ONE) campaign reported that the former president and his team are seemingly overwhelmed with despair after pollsters found a group of teenage girls responded “ew” when asked about a second (ShitGibbon) term.

“This is an attack beyond anything I’ve ever seen,” said … Chris LaCivita, a political veteran of twenty years. “We can handle personal attacks and policy attacks, but ‘ew?’ That’s beyond the pale. We’re trying to have a discourse with the voters and these teenage girl critics are out for blood. We’re actually working on several lawsuits at the moment claiming that phrases such as ‘ew’ and ‘weird’ are defamatory and worthy of jail time. It’s the only hope we’ve got against these illegal maneuvers.”

(satire, but still)

Vicious attack:

Sources within the (Individual-ONE) campaign reported that the former president and his team are seemingly overwhelmed with despair after pollsters found a group of teenage girls responded “ew” when asked about a second (ShitGibbon) term.
“This is an attack beyond anything I’ve ever seen,” said … Chris LaCivita, a political veteran of twenty years. “We can handle personal attacks and policy attacks, but ‘ew?’ That’s beyond the pale. We’re trying to have a discourse with the voters and these teenage girl critics are out for blood. We’re actually working on several lawsuits at the moment claiming that phrases such as ‘ew’ and ‘weird’ are defamatory and worthy of jail time. It’s the only hope we’ve got against these illegal maneuvers.”

(satire, but still)
We're increasingly in a state where it's difficult to distinguish satire from reality.

Lawrence O’Donnell opened his show calling out the media’s “sane-washing” of Trump, and mentioned this article in the NYT, where they posted Trump’s full rant on childcare. Not a perfect article but at least a start…

The issue has been propelled back into the campaign by some of Mr. Trump’s recent public performances, most notably a meandering, hard-to-follow answer to a question on child care at the Economic Club of New York last week. Asked how he would help American working families stressed by the cost of taking care of children, Mr. Trump wandered through a thicket of unfinished sentences, non sequitur clauses and confusing logic that tied the answer to tariffs on imports.

“If you win in November, can you commit to prioritizing legislation to make child care affordable? And if so, what specific piece of legislation will you advance?” “Well, I would do that. And we’re sitting down, you know, I was — somebody, we had Senator Marco Rubio and my daughter, Ivanka, was so impactful on that issue. It’s a very important issue. But I think when you talk about the kind of numbers that I’m talking about that — because, look, child care is child care. It couldn’t, you know, there’s something — you have to have it in this country. You have to have it. But when you talk about those numbers compared to the kind of numbers that I’m talking about, by taxing foreign nations at levels that they’re not used to, but they’ll get used to it very quickly. And it’s not going to stop them from doing business with us. But they’ll have a very substantial tax when they send product into our country. Those numbers are so much bigger than any numbers that we’re talking about, including child care, that it’s going to take care. We’re going to have — I look forward to having no deficits within a fairly short period of time, coupled with the reductions that I told you about on waste and fraud and all of the other things that are going on in our country because I have to stay with child care. I want to stay with child care. But those numbers are small relative to the kind of economic numbers that I’m talking about.”

Lawrence O’Donnell opened his show calling out the media’s “sane-washing” of Trump, and mentioned this article in the NYT, where they posted Trump’s full rant on childcare. Not a perfect article but at least a start…

The issue has been propelled back into the campaign by some of Mr. Trump’s recent public performances, most notably a meandering, hard-to-follow answer to a question on child care at the Economic Club of New York last week. Asked how he would help American working families stressed by the cost of taking care of children, Mr. Trump wandered through a thicket of unfinished sentences, non sequitur clauses and confusing logic that tied the answer to tariffs on imports.

“If you win in November, can you commit to prioritizing legislation to make child care affordable? And if so, what specific piece of legislation will you advance?” “Well, I would do that. And we’re sitting down, you know, I was — somebody, we had Senator Marco Rubio and my daughter, Ivanka, was so impactful on that issue. It’s a very important issue. But I think when you talk about the kind of numbers that I’m talking about that — because, look, child care is child care. It couldn’t, you know, there’s something — you have to have it in this country. You have to have it. But when you talk about those numbers compared to the kind of numbers that I’m talking about, by taxing foreign nations at levels that they’re not used to, but they’ll get used to it very quickly. And it’s not going to stop them from doing business with us. But they’ll have a very substantial tax when they send product into our country. Those numbers are so much bigger than any numbers that we’re talking about, including child care, that it’s going to take care. We’re going to have — I look forward to having no deficits within a fairly short period of time, coupled with the reductions that I told you about on waste and fraud and all of the other things that are going on in our country because I have to stay with child care. I want to stay with child care. But those numbers are small relative to the kind of economic numbers that I’m talking about.”
Yeah a lot of comments along the lines of "how nice for the NYT to finally notice".

Back