What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Episode 4 packs a wallop. The way it ends leaves one very disturbed.

Holy hell, that's was shocking and fantastic.

S01EP05, was great, with the 3 different stories, having a little more fun for the Halloween episode. We're through S01E07, "Vatican III"

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Holy hell, that's was shocking and fantastic.
It was, wasn't it? That ending remained in my thoughts for many days after. It's still disturbing to think about.

S01EP05, was great, with the 3 different stories, having a little more fun for the Halloween episode. We're through S01E07, "Vatican III"
I loved the Halloween episode. The part about the little girl was very much a traditional ghost story!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I loved the Halloween episode. The part about the little girl was very much a traditional ghost story!

They've done a great job establishing a universe where they can easily go from a short one off type story to pivoting back into the long story arc. I love what they've done with Ben, he could've just been the "sceptic tech guy", but he has an interesting backstory they're slowly revealing.

It also has a good Dan Brown (Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code) vibe too, with the puzzle solving, and the sort of "secret society" in the Catholic Church.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
MV5BODAzZjI5NGItNGNlYS00NWU1LTgwNjUtOGQwNWJiMWQwMDg1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I saw an interview with Martin and Short recently, and it made me want to catch this series. My wife and I watched the first episode and enjoyed it immensely.

Only Murders In the Building (Hulu) is about these three busybodies who live in the same apartment building in New York and are all fans of the same real-life mystery podcast. When an actual murder occurs in their building, they decide to investigate including, you guessed it, making a podcast out of it. It's part old guy comedy, and part mystery show parody. (It's drawn a comparison to "Galaxy Quest" in the sense that it obviously loves the genre it's parodying.)

Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez are highly likable in this, and there's an actual mystery taking place among the whimsical humor. I'm looking forward to more.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
What we have started watching Evil, only the first two EPs, and it's as good as people say / as we'd hoped. Apparently S02 is even better, S01was on CBS (like broadcast network), then for S02, moved to Paramount+ which has apparently afforded them some additional creative opportunities :)

Very compelling from the first few minutes - with a stellar cast, nicely balanced between drama/thriller, love the tone, it's "supernatural", quotes by design.

I'll update after we finished Season 1.
Based on your tip we watched the first 3 episodes of S1 and (y). If you told me there was a show called Evil about demonic possessions I would of had a negative attitude going in (I did), but the characters grabbed me and at least it is is not one of those perpetually dark shows. I loved the head priest attitude.
Investigator: Look here I’ve got a picture of a spirt.
Priest: Does it have anything to do with the miracle?
Investigator: Well, no.
Priest: Ehh.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
MV5BODAzZjI5NGItNGNlYS00NWU1LTgwNjUtOGQwNWJiMWQwMDg1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I saw an interview with Martin and Short recently, and it made me want to catch this series. My wife and I watched the first episode and enjoyed it immensely.

Only Murders In the Building (Hulu) is about these three busybodies who live in the same apartment building in New York and are all fans of the same real-life mystery podcast. When an actual murder occurs in their building, they decide to investigate including, you guessed it, making a podcast out of it. It's part old guy comedy, and part mystery show parody. (It's drawn a comparison to "Galaxy Quest" in the sense that it obviously loves the genre it's parodying.)

Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez are highly likable in this, and there's an actual mystery taking place among the whimsical humor. I'm looking forward to more.
We watched the first two episodes yesterday. It’s delightful. Of course, Martin and Short are such a perfect pairing it can’t possibly go wrong.
Wait’ll you guys get to the episode where Santa gets high.
It’s now been, what, two years since that originally ran and I can still hum that damn tune!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wait’ll you guys get to the episode where Santa gets high.

It’s now been, what, two years since that originally ran and I can still hum that damn tune!

Hahaha, OMG, that was pretty fantastic, and yeah, the episode had this whole meta-effect, we ... can't ... stop ...

Good call, thanks @Thomas Veil :cool:

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Based on your tip we watched the first 3 episodes of S1 and (y). If you told me there was a show called Evil about demonic possessions I would of had a negative attitude going in (I did), but the characters grabbed me and at least it is is not one of those perpetually dark shows. I loved the head priest attitude.
Investigator: Look here I’ve got a picture of a spirt.
Priest: Does it have anything to do with the miracle?
Investigator: Well, no.
Priest: Ehh.
I've been cheerleading for Evil since it began. Nice to see more people catching up to it. (Some of you will surpass me as I'm waiting for the Paramount+ season to finish before I watch it.)

I think what makes this show great is that even working within the constraints of network TV, without the benefits of a lot of gore and special effects, it still manages to scare the crap out of me.

And you know, if I ever met Michael Emerson on the street, I'm sure I'd have the urge to punch him out. That's how good he is at playing that smug, scheming bastard Leland. I really wanna deck Leland.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
BTW, @Thomas Veil @Alli ...

Are you aware of the puzzle piece subliminals? They're kind of out-LOST-ing, LOST :D

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been cheerleading for Evil since it began. Nice to see more people catching up to it. (Some of you will surpass me as I'm waiting for the Paramount+ season to finish before I watch it.)

I think what makes this show great is that even working within the constraints of network TV, without the benefits of a lot of gore and special effects, it still manages to scare the crap out of me.

And you know, if I ever met Michael Emerson on the street, I'm sure I'd have the urge to punch him out. That's how good he is at playing that smug, scheming bastard Leland. I really wanna deck Leland.
Sorry I guess this should have been your tip. :oops: Michael Emerson, hated sine Lost. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Finished Evil S01 last night ...

Hahahaha, wow! It's that? And there? And her? And him? And what_in_the_fuck_is_that ... ?

I was reading a blog where the writer called it X-Files meets David Lynch. Not a bad take, it really reminds me of a lot of this sort of genre as written by Neil Gaiman - his stuff is dark, horrific, while being funny, and comically absurd. I mean, why do the forces of darkness have to be dour :D

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I hated his character Ben in Lost. And then I loved his character in Person of Interest. You never know what you’re going to get with him. He may just be one of the greatest actors around.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Finished Evil S01 last night ...

Hahahaha, wow! It's that? And there? And her? And him? And what_in_the_fuck_is_that ... ?

I was reading a blog where the writer called it X-Files meets David Lynch. Not a bad take, it really reminds me of a lot of this sort of genre as written by Neil Gaiman - his stuff is dark, horrific, while being funny, and comically absurd. I mean, why do the forces of darkness have to be dour :D
Wow, this is good, just finished S1E5- Halloween, Exorcism and a very bad man digging his way into the life of his opponent, one of the primary good characters.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Heads up! Lots of new stuff coming at the end of this month, including a few reboots:

Live-action Cowboy Bebop? I should be excited because I love the show and have re-watching it the last few weeks. However, I have a feeling the Netflix version will be disappointing. I hope they prove me wrong!

Top Bottom
1 2