What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting HBO is bothering to move the time slot. So many people watch it on-demand it’s hard to believe there would be a meaningful difference in ratings.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Interesting HBO is bothering to move the time slot. So many people watch it on-demand it’s hard to believe there would be a meaningful difference in ratings.
IDK. Maybe it's for folks like me who watch it as soon as it's released. Which means at 6P on the West coast, lol.
But then again, I don't watch the Super Bowl so who knows?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
So I agree with most that EP 3 of the Last of Us was emotional and groundbreaking, but there was one part that annoyed the shit out of me and continues to bother me. The scene where their compound is getting raided and at one point he just goes out in the completely exposed open to fire his gun off in random directions. At night. With no idea how many people there were or where they were. It served no purpose and was completely idiotic and unrealistic which I could forgive if the show was littered with that type thing, but its not (for the most part). -50 social credits.

And then EP 4. No real issue other than I already forgot it which is a huge drop from EP 3.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Am I the only one here watching this? Great news for me.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Finished Tehran Season 2, outstanding season final, wow. Some things are resolved, others blew up, can’t wait for season 3! The story is not over by a long shot. :)

Apple just announced renewal for season 3 yesterday, with the addition of Hugh Laurie to the cast.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Finished Tehran Season 2, outstanding season final, wow. Some things are resolved, others blew up, can’t wait for season 3! The story is not over by a long shot. :)

Is it pretty well rounded or would you say it qualifies as pro-Isreal propaganda?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is it pretty well rounded or would you say it qualifies as pro-Isreal propaganda?
Well, I'm going to say rounded. Although there are good and sympathetic people on the Iran side, the regime is cast as evil. The Israelis not cast as good, but as lethal, pushing their interests in Iran by whatever force is necessary. It's unlikely you'd be rooting for the Iranians, but I would not describe the Israelis as wholesome.

One of the prominent Iranian characters is a patriotic police supervisor who is looking for the "Israeli terrorists" (Mossad) (for perspective one person's terrorist in another person's freedom fighter) and the Mossad makes choices that are not how I would describe as moral. They kill anyone who gets in their way. Their goal at the beginning of S1 is through espionage, to assist in facilitating the destruction of a nuclear reactor. "We can't tolerate a nuclear Iran."

Something signifiant happens during the second half of Season 2 that I won't mention other than to say it changes the character dynamics of at least 2 prominent characters.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to say rounded. Although there are good and sympathetic people on the Iran side, the regime is cast as evil. The Israelis not cast a good, but as lethal, pushing their interests in Iran by whatever force is necessary. It's unlikely you'd be rooting for the Iranians, but I would not describe the Israelis as wholesome.

One of the prominent Iranian characters is a patriotic police supervisor who is looking for the "Israeli terrorists" (Mossad) (for perspective one person's terrorist in another person's freedom fighter) and the Mossad makes choices that are not how I would describe as moral. They kill anyone who gets in their way. Their goal at the beginning of S1 is through espionage, to assist in facilitating the destruction of a nuclear reactor. "We can't tolerate a nuclear Iran."

Something signifiant happens during the second half of Season 2 that I won't mention other than to say it changes the character dynamics of at least 2 prominent characters.

Cool. Sounds interesting. I’ll have to check it out. I think sometimes in this genre people in a country are all painted as either tools of the evil government or terrorists as if the vast majority of the population isn’t trying to just live their lives by honest means.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Last night's episode of The Last Of Us . That was intense. I'm still recovering. Made me look at my cordyceps coffee powder a wee bit differently this morning. 😬
It was, but...
I've never played the video game. so I don't know where the story is going, assuming the showrunners follow that tack.

The most compelling storylines have focused on human relationships, not the havoc caused by the Infected. They can be zombies, guys whose heads look like genital warts (to use the line from Pedro Pascal's SNL monologue), or demogorgons. Sure, they're scary, and the hordes who escaped from underground in the last episode were fun for awhile. But watching Bill and Frank, seeing Henry interact with Sam, observing Joel becoming more like a father to Ellie, and even appreciating what caused Kathleen to pursue Henry so relentlessly, has been far more interesting and entertaining. I hope the writers can keep this up. I'd be disappointed if The Last of Us turns into one perilous situation after another, where Joel and Ellie are saved from oblivion each time.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
EA7D0C1E-0728-4C26-85D8-375D40BEBD2A.jpeg

Mosquito Coast (Apple+ 2021-2023)- Walked into this blind, watched the first 2 episodes and I start out by wondering, why am I watching this family (2 adults, 2 children)? However, I quickly picked up that they are living off the grid in California’s Central Valley near Stockton, the father is technically brilliant, kids don’t watch TV, they get in trouble for using the phone, but then you hear about 9 identities. The NSA appears, and soon after that, there is what quickly turns into a dangerous road trip. Thumbs up so far. :D
…There is a movie too that came before this, did not watch.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mosquito Coast- 2 Seasons finished the series, thumbs up with caveats.
  • Some call it slow, at times it falls into a family drama/character development mode. Season 1 moves well, Season 2 builds and you realize the safe haven Alli hopes to find for his family is not what he hoped for.
  • The reason they find themselves on the run is revealed at the start of Season 2
  • What happens is explosive, some might say narratively convenient, even far fetched, but I could buy it. :D
Invasion (Apple TV 2022)- 5 episodes in, slow but well done, lots of character development. It tells the story from 5 personal perspectives around the world (Oklahoma, Long Island, UK possibly Scotland, Tokyo, and a US soldier and his unit in Afghanistan, hence it’s slowness. It takes 5 out of 10 episodes for an official announcement abiut “them” to be made. What I’ve see of the aliens so far is riveting. Apple has renewed the series.

As I’ve said, in any alien invasion story 3 possibilities:
  • Be our friends
  • Make us their slave,
  • Eat us or wipe us out. 🤔

Top Bottom
1 2