What are you doing today?

Not me. I had shingles once and never want it again, so I'm getting the newer vaccine this fall. I ended up with some attributed eye muscle damage from that bout of shingles (a wall eye that needs correction w/ prismatic lenses). It's annoying because I quickly get vertigo without the glasses, and before that was used to not really needing glasses just to cross a room safely, even though I had some correction of an astigmatism.

I do get you about not looking forward to possibility of throwing up all day after the 2nd shot of the newer vaccine. I can't remember the last time I threw up, I think it was when I ate bad egg foo yung at some takeout joint in the city, maybe 40 years ago? Haven't eaten that stuff again! So yeah. But I don't want another go-around with shingles, for sure.
I had gallbladder full of stones and was basically nauseous for a couple of years before they discovered what it was and removed it, they said I didn't fit the type that would normally have it so it took a while for them to find the problem but I was riddled with them.

I lost around 30 pounds overall and was barely eating but literally the day of the surgery I ate my first real meal in years without pain or fear, it was an amazing feeling. Of course I gained all the weight back but I was no longer sickly all the time.

So for me it's a real problem and if it were for something like COVID I would totally do it but not for shingles, it is miserable, you guys are right about that, fortunately not fatal though.

Week off from work is wrapping up. :( They have a winter and summer "shutdown" where maintenance work is done and employees get to stay home.

A friend of mine convinced me to join her for a church session at her place of worship. It's a non-denominational type of Christian church. Much different than the boring Catholic dumps that my dad forced on me and my brother. Much younger crowd, much better acoustics, no boring choir type singing, and everyone uses a bible app on their phone if they don't have their own physical bible. The people are outgoing and nice, and they have a youth group, so I'll be going back. Obviously I’m not going to magically change my mind from several services or meetings, but I try to keep an open mine.

Never thought I'd be saying that I attended church on my own terms (unless it was for a funeral)

Last edited:
OK, so my last several days of fun:

We traveled from St. Aug, to MCO (Orlando International), flight to PA, back, over to Universal Studios for a few days and home. Though it wasn't quite that simple :D

Wound up staying overnight at the airport, there's a Hyatt in the airport (in, not at ...), and we sprung for a room, a suite, the Presidential suite, hahaha, we don't spend a ton on things like clubs, golfing, etc., so when something like this comes up, we fortunately are able to make a really stupid decision :D

It was silly enormous, several rooms, full kitchen, multiple TVs, dressing areas, lighted spa in a bathroom with a walk in shower and TVs, and yes, I piped in music and danced, the video is available on our OnlyFans page. The balcony overlooked the entire airport, we sat outside watching planes come and go, while a massive storm moved through.

IMG_7984.jpeg IMG_7996.jpeg IMG_7994.jpeg

IMG_7998.jpeg IMG_7999.jpeg

Finally made it to PA, we hit up Kennywood, it's an old school amusement park (as opposed to a theme park), they've recently added a huge coaster, the Steel Curtain, it's 220 ft tall, has the world's highest inversion with __nine__ total, just fantastic, ride it several times, the park was pretty quiet. Hit up a few old school rides like the Old Mill (originally went up in the 1920s), lots of good food and beverages. Really beautiful park up in the hills.

Also visited with family, which was kind of the point, had a great time.

IMG_8001.jpeg IMG_8005.jpeg IMG_8010.jpeg

Got back to MCO, headed over to the Portofino, had a few days at the park, super fun, hit up Hagrids several times with the new "virtual line", got to ride the Velocicoaster a few times, ate and drank ourselves silly, had an amazing dinner with some old friends at Mama Della's.

One nice pic of the Velocicoaster with the Hulk coaster across the lagoon :) That's a part of the ride that's a heartline roll, so amazing.

IMG_8021.jpeg

We found the lower parking, had only like 5 cars, open banks of chargers for EVs, and free charging the Portofino, kind of hard to beat - we drove about 280 miles, and spent about $4.00 on "fuel". This was a our first road trip-ish sort of thing with the Tesla, it was fantastic, quick, quiet, super roomy - the trunk had 3 rollers, a big cooler and dolly, 3 other bags, and extra bag for the return trip.

IMG_8023.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked this up this afternoon, so Six Point makes some spectacular IPA/IIPA, one of the very best is their Resin IIPA, well, this afternoon, we found their new product, the ANTI-RESIN, it's an IIPA with a ZERO IBU. It's filled with hops, but without a hoppy bite, very cool, super unique, kind of an underlying hop, but it's sweet, like hoppy honey, 9.1% ABV, a little malty, a big ... umm, non-hop? Unhop? It's hard to describe :D

IMG_8028.jpeg

I'm on day 2 of my last 4 day weekend of the summer. We've: walked for an hour through the desert, cut an 8"x16' section of limbs from the tree overhanging my yard, gassed up 2 vehicles, kegged 1 cider and started a next, refilled 3 propane tanks installed 2 thermostats and one toilet seat. My wife and son are getting their 6 month dental checkups, and I don't have the wherewithal to go weed since it's 97 F and 45% humidity.

I'm taking it easy.

I've been buying a few software upgrades to finish off my move to Big Sur from Catalina on my MBA2020. So today I was installing them, having spent a few days prowling around to make sure everything else seems ok. I'm always glad to have an OS upgrade and associated app upgrades land nicely in the rear view mirror, with clones to go back to if needed, and lovin' it when I don't need them.

Been working in London the last couple of days. I'm exhausted. I'd have rather had a lie in today, but Mrs AFB needed driving to the supermarket. Anyway I was awake at 5.

Took me three hours to get to London and 4 and a half to get back. Its going to be a quiet weekend. Well except for a load of work I need to catch up on.

Tired.

Awake at 2:40 to watch Armand Duplantis qualify. Fracking broadcaster apparently used a standard feed rather than showing the jumps live. Letting Discovery+ run the show is pretty much a disaster here, doing nothing but the bare minimum required.

Speaking of sins: Managed to ditch two old laser printers today. Heavy bastards. My Apple Watch counted that as 4 minutes of exercise. Double win!

Been working in London the last couple of days. I'm exhausted. I'd have rather had a lie in today, but Mrs AFB needed driving to the supermarket. Anyway I was awake at 5.

Took me three hours to get to London and 4 and a half to get back. Its going to be a quiet weekend. Well except for a load of work I need to catch up on.

I avoid London as much as I can and thankfully haven’t been there with work recently. We’ve got a few friends who live in London and they keep asking us to visit but we really don’t want the hassle. One of our friends has married a very wealthy Frenchman and they’ve bought a house in Finsbury Park and she just wants to show it off to us. I am running out of excuses to go lol. I think when you’ve grown up going to London a lot, the appeal wears off eventually. My girls want to do the sights too, ahhhh! [emoji2957]

Enjoy a chilled day [emoji482]

OK, so my last several days of fun:

We traveled from St. Aug, to MCO (Orlando International), flight to PA, back, over to Universal Studios for a few days and home. Though it wasn't quite that simple :D

Wound up staying overnight at the airport, there's a Hyatt in the airport (in, not at ...), and we sprung for a room, a suite, the Presidential suite, hahaha, we don't spend a ton on things like clubs, golfing, etc., so when something like this comes up, we fortunately are able to make a really stupid decision :D
Umm. Do you not cringe a little, booking the Presidential Suite...."I wonder if there's Trump hooker pee in this mattress?"

I'm sure he mostly stays in Trump branded hotels...but...

Sorry, struck my coffee-deprived mind as a funny thought this am. :D

Edit: Ok, and on-topic - I'll likely hit my favourite breakfast joint for their breakfast hash (potatoes, ham, bacon, sausage, onions, peppers, grated cheddar cheese, 3 over easy eggs on top), then go paddleboarding at one of our lakes. :D

Umm. Do you not cringe a little, booking the Presidential Suite...."I wonder if there's Trump hooker pee in this mattress?"

I'm sure he mostly stays in Trump branded hotels...but...

Sorry, struck my coffee-deprived mind as a funny thought this am. :D

Edit: Ok, and on-topic - I'll likely hit my favourite breakfast joint for their breakfast hash (potatoes, ham, bacon, sausage, onions, peppers, grated cheddar cheese, 3 over easy eggs on top), then go paddleboarding at one of our lakes. :D

Hahaha, we just cringed a bit in general, but now I have to pass this on to the wife :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Next week she's going to go full terminator mode on the airline, the hotel, it was a horrific comedy of errors (none of which was our fault, even though we got the brunt of the hassle and cost ...)

We were also planning on a little SUP run down to the point, however ... see next post!

I avoid London as much as I can and thankfully haven’t been there with work recently. We’ve got a few friends who live in London and they keep asking us to visit but we really don’t want the hassle. One of our friends has married a very wealthy Frenchman and they’ve bought a house in Finsbury Park and she just wants to show it off to us. I am running out of excuses to go lol. I think when you’ve grown up going to London a lot, the appeal wears off eventually. My girls want to do the sights too, ahhhh! [emoji2957]

Enjoy a chilled day [emoji482]
The sites I saw were the London office. The hotel. Left home Thursday morning at 6 am. Got to the office around 9. Worked until 6 that night. Then went to the hotel. Had dinner in the hotel. Went to bed. Was back in the office at 7am and left at 3:30. Got home around 8pm. It was not a fun couple of days. But there was an issue that needed sorting and no-one else in the company has the brains/work ethic/ability to do it instead. Was it my job? No. But someone had to do it.

Ah the Shingrix vaccine. Like with the Covid jabs, it’s the second dose that gets you. My arm was sore after the first one, but after the second one I threw up all day….
You’re not helping to sell me on the idea of that second shot. 😄

Yeah, so the little G has been really wanting another kitty since we lost the previous one a couple of years ago. I'm not a big "animal person", though they seem to just love me for some reason, hahaha, maybe we have similar scents ...

The previous two had been older-ish, outside strays - we had some rules for a new one (including some things to minimize the issues from the aforementioned):

1) Wait till after all our travel plans were over, so it would have a nice long time without us being gone

2) Her pet, so all pet related chores, including lots of extra care on the litter

3) Get a very young kitty/kitten, that's been raised indoors, and keep it indoors, the biggest problem with an outside stray is they want to go outside, then it's all about tracking them down, worrying if they're coming home, etc.

I mean, that's it, pretty simple, we have a nice indoor washroom/utility area for supplies, litter and whatnot (that can also be closed off if needed, however, she can roam the house freely like our other cats. We were just at the ILs and they have a great cat that just shows up for a little love every so often, then finds a high perch to peer down at their people :D

Hahaha, I actually took a pic of him ...

IMG_8017.jpeg

Unlike cricket, baseball games are usually over in 3 hours instead of 3 days. We like our boredom in smaller doses.

Cleveland (Indians now, Guardians from 2022) will be angling for boredom interspersed with the thrill of more stolen base attempts, albeit probably laced with a heftier pile of called strikes. One may deduce this from the fact that they finally landed Myles Straw yesterday, acqiuring him from the Houston Astros just before the end of trading.

When Straw does connect with a pitch he likes, he can surprise any half-dozing outfielder, since his hits historically have divided up pretty much evenly to left, center and right. He learned upon reaching the majors that it's more challenging to steal a base there than back in Class A ball, but he did steal in the minors at a very high clip, assisted not just by judgment and nerve but through amazing speed on the base paths.

This season with the Astros, Straw ranks 23rd in Baseball Savant’s sprint speed metric, which measures the feet per second a player travels in their fastest second in very specific instances. Straw traveled at 29.2 feet per second on average. He will instantly be third on the Guardians behind Amed Rosario (29.6, 13th overall) and Bradley Zimmer (29.3, 19th overall). He’s already swiped 17 bases this season, which puts him in a tie for sixth overall in baseball and the most in Cleveland.

Well I haven't saved up enough for a Guardians hat yet but it looks like I won't have to burn it any time soon in 2022 just on account of their new center fielder.

Back