What are you doing today?

I’ve been off since last Thursday so headed down to Tenby to stay in my in-laws caravan. Heading back home tomorrow. We’ve done lots of beach things, visited a zoo, dinosaur park and been bowling. Did a bit of crabbing this morning too which the kids always seem to love. It’s a bit too busy for my liking though but can’t complain as it’s free to stay. Better than being at work at the moment anyway. Heading to my fathers cottage in west Wales in 2 weeks for a stay over the bank holiday, it’s been a month of holidays which is cool.

What type of crabs were you after?

Whew! OK, maybe the robot apocalypse will be postponed till next year ...
Unless that’s what you robots want us to think!

The bloopers could be from before they learned to parkour properly, or even staged as part of a disinformation campaign.

Still, the video makes me think of the Swedish association football club Hammarby and their infamous “Video Yugoslavs”. Way back in 1999 (or thereabouts) the club signed three-year contracts with two players from the Serbian league after having seen them only on a PR video. The players were let go after having played less than 180 minutes combined for the team…

Whenever I see a clip of someone doing something cool, I always wonder what the discarded recordings look like. :ROFLMAO:

I’ve been poring over specs of the various 24” M1 iMacs in preparation for buying one. (I think my 2008 one is ready to bite the dust.)

I think I’d like one with the four ports (two Thunderbolt, two USB). I was going to go for one with 16GB RAM, but everything I’m seeing says that’s only necessary if you’re gonna edit or export 8K video or use it for gaming, which I’m not.

Costco seems to have better prices than most stores and quick delivery times to boot.

I’ve been poring over specs of the various 24” M1 iMacs in preparation for buying one. (I think my 2008 one is ready to bite the dust.)

I think I’d like one with the four ports (two Thunderbolt, two USB). I was going to go for one with 16GB RAM, but everything I’m seeing says that’s only necessary if you’re gonna edit or export 8K video or use it for gaming, which I’m not.

Costco seems to have better prices than most stores and quick delivery times to boot.
Since the RAM cannot be upgraded at a later date, it is my opinion you should get 16GB of RAM. As new apps with new capabilities become available, or you decide later on you want to do something different with your iMac, you will be happy you opted for the extra RAM.

crazy day. I get a check from a company that had two invoices for about 220.00 the check was for 2390.00 I emailed them but have not heard back.I have gotten a few duplicate checks and a few not for me but this one was crazy. I was going to get bbq for lunch and a place two miles away. I have learned to check their website and they run out of merat sometimes. so instead of opening at the usual 11 it was 1:30 so those plants were done for. come back from grabbing lunch somewhere else and this guy was unloading wood in my shop. and I was like huh did I forget about this job? nope he went to the wrong cnc place.

Since the RAM cannot be upgraded at a later date, it is my opinion you should get 16GB of RAM. As new apps with new capabilities become available, or you decide later on you want to do something different with your iMac, you will be happy you opted for the extra RAM.
Anybody else share this opinion (before I order)? :unsure:

Yes. A lot has changed since you bought your 2008, so think what things might be like in 5 or even 10 years. Given how long Mac's can last, it is cheap insurance. I had to buy a new Apple TV because my drone shoots in 4K video and my old one wouldn't play it. 8K video may be standard in 5 years.

Similar to buying a trailer. Always buy the next size up because you never know.

Since the context seems to be replacing a machine from 2008, I'd absolutely agree. If you get the latest Mac every time a new one is released, I'd say no. But if you plan to own it for more than a decade? Absolutely spend the money to future proof.

I'll even take things one step further. I'll offer you a guarantee. If, after owning it for 13 years, you find the extra memory wasn't worth the money, track me down in 2034 and I'll offer up a full apology and buy you lunch.

Actually I did upgrade the RAM in my current model but the performance boost didn’t seem to last long.

Other factors:
  • I need to stay in within a budget, so ponying for the extra ram would mean I’d have to move down to the base, two USB port model
  • Right now the 16GB version is as hard to find as a mermaid. Costco Amazon Best Buy
  • I’d probably end up ordering direct from Apple, and their delivery time is twice as long
  • In the meantime my HD has started clicking, so I’m on borrowed time to transfer over all my apps and data

Edit: I’m also not planning on holding onto the same machine as long this time.

Last edited:
Back