What are you doing today?

Actually I did upgrade the RAM in my current model but the performance boost didn’t seem to last long.

Other factors:
  • I need to stay in within a budget, so ponying for the extra ram would mean I’d have to move down to the base, two USB port model
  • Right now the 16GB version is as hard to find as a mermaid. Costco Amazon Best Buy
  • I’d probably end up ordering direct from Apple, and their delivery time is twice as long
  • In the meantime my HD has started clicking, so I’m on borrowed time to transfer over all my apps and data

Edit: I’m also not planning on holding onto the same machine as long this time.
If it’s an affordability issue, get what you can afford. Even the 8GB model will be far superior to your current machine.

I haven't done it yet, but today I am going to wash my truck. It has been almost 2 weeks since it was washed because it had rained nearly every day. I thought something was wrong with my weather app this morning because the radar didn't have any green on it. :ROFLMAO:

Yes.

I always order as much RAM as possible, but then, these days, I tend to hold onto my computers (in common with @Pumbaa, quoted below) for years and years.

Exactly.

I didn't used to, but with Mac's, they just don't need replaced like a cheap Windows machine. My first one was a 2011 iMac and I might still have it, but when the video card failed for a second time I got a Late 2015 refurb and it has been running great, but I want an iMac Pro so sometime this fall I will find a nice refurb and bit the bullet. I will move my current iMac down to the wife who is still running a 2013 ish Mini.

I haven't done it yet, but today I am going to wash my truck. It has been almost 2 weeks since it was washed because it had rained nearly every day. I thought something was wrong with my weather app this morning because the radar didn't have any green on it. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah I sure get that. Can't believe we dodged the flooded cellars bullet around here this week. Think it came close though. The water table's pretty much topped off from unseasonable inputs during both July and August. I'll paint the devil on the wall by noting that September and November are our more usual fill-the-cellar culprits. We need a sun-bake for the rest of August!

Yeah I sure get that. Can't believe we dodged the flooded cellars bullet around here this week. Think it came close though. The water table's pretty much topped off from unseasonable inputs during both July and August. I'll paint the devil on the wall by noting that September and November are our more usual fill-the-cellar culprits. We need a sun-bake for the rest of August!
May, June & July are our wettest. But I guess we are getting July's rain now. The one good thing I guess is that the forecast doesn't call for any more days in in the 90's. :)

we bought a weehoo to haul our granddaughter around with. she can peddle so she will enjoy it more then the trailer I think. got it used for 200 it came with the canopy new that would be 550.00 hard to do a 20 mile round trip to grab it. the first ride with her caused issues as it was hitting the fender ( I had to take the back rack off) so the wife lost her suspension seat post. Hopefully she still does nto need it or I will buy another seat so. I can swap them.
IMG_3213.jpeg
IMG_3209.jpeg
IMG_3208.jpeg

we bought a weehoo to haul our granddaughter around with. she can peddle so she will enjoy it more then the trailer I think. got it used for 200 it came with the canopy new that would be 550.00 hard to do a 20 mile round trip to grab it. the first ride with her caused issues as it was hitting the fender ( I had to take the back rack off) so the wife lost her suspension seat post. Hopefully she still does nto need it or I will buy another seat so. I can swap them.

Dude, you are one of the most the most badass grandpas I know :D

OK, so this is fun, a little setup ...

There's a style of bike (that came from motorcycles) riding called Trials. It's about traversing a course, that most people would look at and go, "Oh, you can't ride a bike across that". From Wikipedia:

Mountain bike trials, also known as observed trials, is a discipline of mountain biking in which the rider attempts to pass through an obstacle course without setting foot to ground. Derived from motorcycle trials, it originated in Catalonia, Spain as trialsín (from trial sin motor, "motorcycle trials without an engine") and is said to have been invented by Pere Pi, the father of Ot Pi, a world champion motorcycle trials rider. Pi's father had wanted his son to learn motorcycle trials by practicing on an ordinary bicycle.

My Dad used to do this on a motorcycle.

One of the masters of the sport, is a nice Scottish lad named Danny MacAskill, not only does he complete, but he makes amazing videos that feature trials type riding, and are often produced with super fun music, and a whole sort of theme. How is this relevant? Well, one of his videos is titled Danny Daycare, where he picks up his niece and takes her for a ride in a child bike trailer kind of like you posted - it's amazing, cute, and for anyone who might grab their pearls - clearly, some of this doesn't involve an actual child :)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
I’ve been poring over specs of the various 24” M1 iMacs in preparation for buying one. (I think my 2008 one is ready to bite the dust.)

I think I’d like one with the four ports (two Thunderbolt, two USB). I was going to go for one with 16GB RAM, but everything I’m seeing says that’s only necessary if you’re gonna edit or export 8K video or use it for gaming, which I’m not.

Costco seems to have better prices than most stores and quick delivery times to boot.
I’m awaiting delivery of my blue M1 iMac this week. I ordered it from Apple with 16 GB RAM if for no other reason than futureproofing and because that’s what my current iMac has. My current iMac is working fine (fan’s starting to act up, though) so I didn’t mind to wait a couple weeks.

Upgrading from a base-model 2014 5K iMac with 16 GB RAM to the maxed-out M1 iMac seems like a lateral move on paper, but the cores are so much faster that it benchmarks 2–3× higher on CPU performance which kind of boggles my mind.

I get the impression that most users should be fine on 8 GB RAM if you can’t hold out another couple weeks for shipment, though.

Last edited:
As for what I’m doing today, I’m just relaxing for my last day of freedom before starting a new job tomorrow. Also donated blood this morning which went smoothly, something I’m grateful for because it was very spur-of-the-moment and I did so on an empty stomach.

As for what I’m doing today, I’m just relaxing for my last day of freedom before starting a new job tomorrow. Also donated blood this morning which went smoothly, something I’m grateful for because it was very spur-of-the-moment and I did so on an empty stomach.

Good luck. Hope it goes well. :)

@theSeb

Where is that? (If you don't mind sharing)

Last edited:
So what’s the new job?

I can’t donate on an empty stomach. Not that I’ll get sick, but I’m iron deficient so I have to trick my body into a high enough level to be eligible to donate.
It is Sandbanks, Poole.
When I went down to Sandbanks, Sandbanks, Sandbanks. When I went down to Sandbanks I heard a lady sing!

Back