What are you doing today?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Watching Sweden-USA (Bronze medal game, IIHF World Junior Championship).

Got delayed outside while taking out the trash due to a frozen lock and missed like five goals. Insane second period.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
i was really productive for once. walked the dog, met my son for a telemed appointment we did in the car, and then took him to lunch since he missed lunch for the appt. then two amazon returns to the UPS store, one international return to the post office, picked up one Rx for my husband and another for my dog (who needs a sedative to go to the vet next week 🙄), and then planted all the bulbs i bought in the fall that i forgot to plant in november. our warm stretch the past few days made planting quick work, and i think they'll all be okay, just probably bloom a bit later than they would have if i'd put them in when i was supposed to. the bags just said to plant before the ground froze. it did freeze a couple of days over christmas, but the bulbs don't know that. 😉

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Adjusting to San Francisco. Got up super early as we're still on NYC time: before 6am here. Yesterday we spent a great deal of walking to a couple places that closed early or didn't open at all due to the storms. Then got drenched today after checking out the Museum of the African Diaspora (MoAD). Enjoyed the exhibit "The New Vanguard" then had an early lunch at The Bird nearby where we enjoyed very good chicken sandwiches.

Hubby was trying to buy a pair of rain boots as the weekend forecast calls for another soaker. No luck at a local mall or searching for buy online, pick up in store options. Ran into a couple of his Academic friends and gossiped on the street for a bit.

We're heading out to dinner with another couple later tonight. I'm spending most of my time tomorrow exploring and possibly meeting up with a friend or two (no pressure on their part as I know how it can be with out-of-town friends visiting your major/touristy city).

So far closed all three of my Apple Watch rings while in San Francisco. Thought I would fail on all three daily goals while here.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Adjusting to San Francisco. Got up super early as we're still on NYC time: before 6am here. Yesterday we spent a great deal of walking to a couple places that closed early or didn't open at all due to the storms. Then got drenched today after checking out the Museum of the African Diaspora (MoAD). Enjoyed the exhibit "The New Vanguard" then had an early lunch at The Bird nearby where we enjoyed very good chicken sandwiches.

Hubby was trying to buy a pair of rain boots as the weekend forecast calls for another soaker. No luck at a local mall or searching for buy online, pick up in store options. Ran into a couple of his Academic friends and gossiped on the street for a bit.

We're heading out to dinner with another couple later tonight. I'm spending most of my time tomorrow exploring and possibly meeting up with a friend or two (no pressure on their part as I know how it can be with out-of-town friends visiting your major/touristy city).

So far closed all three of my Apple Watch rings while in San Francisco. Thought I would fail on all three daily goals while here.
We visited family in CA this winter break, just missing most of the really bad weather, but getting just enough of a taste. It rained just about every day, but I really feel for the folks caught in the worst of it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
My goal for something to do every day is to list 5 things for sale on eBay. Need to get rid of stuff before we move. Should have been doing this all along, but better late than never I guess.

Moving is a pain in the neck that way. I began to see the wisdom in some city friends' insistence on moving apartments every five or six years just to force themselves to declutter. I was in a rent-controlled place with a doorman, so no way in hell was I going to follow their path. However --and therefore-- it was hell getting ready to give up my pied-a-terre in NYC after 20 years of living in the city full time and 10 more splitting the time between there and the house I had bought up here.

I resorted to cutting deals with the porter, who over the years had proven very trustworthy. So I just put a bedsheet in the corner of the living room and put things on it that he could take and sell if he wanted, else just remove them from my place and discard them. Once a week or so, when I was down in the laundry facility, I'd stop by his rooms and leave a note that I had another "selection" ready at the home-brew bazaar. He'd get the key from the super or stop by on the weekend and spend half a day clearing out the latest take.

When in my view most of what I had set on that bedsheet was pretty much worthless, I'd also leave him a cash tip for his troubles. But some of what I was ditching was entirely marketable, e.g. small appliances that I had got tired of lugging back and forth to the boondocks and so had bought duplicates for upstate. When I left for good I stopped by and gave him a parting cash gift for all the help he was during that time and on the day the movers I'd hired from up here came downstate for the piano, furniture and bins of stuff I was keeping.

I have to laugh at myself now though. I was focused on getting rid of things and packing what I wanted to keep. Nowadays I see stuff on eBay like "vintage" (1980s) Bloomingdale's shopping bags (back then they had all these designer ones) going for totally outrageous prices. Hah. When I was getting ready to move I used Bloomingdale's shopping bags from the 1960s (!) just like trashbags, i.e., to encase airport-terminal paperbacks and old New Yorkers that were destined to land on that bedsheet for the porter to deal with... and I'm pretty sure he too was inclined to pitch stuff like that into the recycle rather than trudge up to the used booksellers near Columbia University.

Between the two of us we probably threw out thousands of dollars' worth of resalable stuff we both figured wasn't worth the hassle to sell, and there were better things to do with the time in any given day.

So yeah, timing is everything. Time itself is everything! It's very hard to make time to declutter for profit because it's basically a big pain in the neck to sell stuff at yard sales or online... unless you really get into it. I could never quite get there and as far as I know, my porter wasn't a connoisseur of resale and flea markets in the city either. A few boxes of books he did take up to the resellers. He mostly sold the little appliances to friends and kin and may have kept a few to replace his own equivalents. I haven't missed a single thing I parted with from those days and in fact wished I'd left even more behind since had to ditch them from here!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Yeah, I am just ebaying stuff I know will bring in a few $. All of it is going into the "buy new stuff" fund which kind of tosses cold water on the whole idea of downsizing. :oops:

Once we take the first main load out, we are having the lady who did my mom's estate sale come in and do a moving sale for everything else. She sells everything. And I mean everything.

lizkat

Reaction score
Thank you all! I am celebrating with an unusually summery evening meal --an elaborate dinner salad-- for this time of year, thanks to the mini heat wave we've been having. That weather pattern is taking a hike in the next few days, but for once I'm not fishing birthday cards out of a mailbox buried in a snowbank!

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Thank you all! I am celebrating with an unusually summery evening meal --an elaborate dinner salad-- for this time of year, thanks to the mini heat wave we've been having. That weather pattern is taking a hike in the next few days, but for once I'm not fishing birthday cards out of a mailbox buried in a snowbank!
Happy, Happy Birthday! 🎈

lizkat

Reaction score
Thanks to you all! I do love birthdays. It's not great to have mine more or less buried in the winter holidays, or at least it wasn't great when I was a kid. Now I don't mind but back then, wow... I envied one brother with a midsummer birthday: out of the blue would come his special day with special food and a party and a bike or a baseball glove and this and that... and I'd be remembering back to winter post-Xmas with exhausted parents glad the holidays were over, and a pile of kindly old aunts each having provided one nice gift with a tag that always said Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday!

And it's not like that bro didn't get Xmas gifts, so... 🔥

So yeah my materialistic nose was out of joint for most of July every year when I was a kid. It was about quantity not quality of gifts at that age. A pox on that one nice dress or one expensive book! My gratitude was paper-thin and drummed into me by a grandmother who kept saying it was the thought that counted, and always gave me a little box of cards to write thank-you notes on. But I wanted lots of stuff on my very own day and usually what I most memorably ended up with was a request to please help take down the Christmas tree before the needles made a mess departing the house. Ah the injustice of it all... :ROFLMAO:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Driving the offspring to the airport. For the second time in 2 days.

Yesterday we were on our way to CMH and just past Chilicothe, she gets an alert that her flight is delayed. So she checks the new arrival time and it is after her connection takes off. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal. She would just get the airline to get her a room in Denver and go in the next morning. But she has her cat. So trying to make a box for him in a hotel would be too much trouble. And another flight they could have put her on would have gotten her into Burbank way to late for her to be comfortable finding an Uber.

So after driving 4 hours yesterday, we get to do the do the full 6 today. Hopefully.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Today I'm noodling how I want to mount this little feller on our guest bathroom wall.

Bear roll holder.jpg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Today I'm noodling how I want to mount this little feller on our guest bathroom wall.

Do you have, or have access to, a router?

If so, get a small T-shank, AKA keyhole shank or T-slot, bit. That will allow you to cut slots in the back to hang on screws.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Do you have, or have access to, a router?

If so, get a small T-shank, AKA keyhole shank or T-slot, bit. That will allow you to cut slots in the back to hang on screws.

Thanks...I have a few routers messing around with woodworking. The back has a small metal plate with three T-slots in a triangle formation (two high and one low). But the plate is rotated around ten degrees and would need to compensate for that. And the screws that hold the plate into a recessed area in the back are tiny - around 0.07" in diameter - already broke the head off one unscrewing the plate. :( I don't trust them to last.

What I want to do is mount the bear on a 3/8" thick piece of hardwood (screwed from the back); maybe Sapele or Cherry, which I would then mount to the wall - with Ebony plugs (I have a plug-cutter bit) hiding the mounting screws. Another option is to use a piece of 3/8" Baltic Birch painted a dark reddish brown.

Bear holder mounting.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2