WWDC 2023 Thread

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Leaked slide from Tim Cook's WWDC presentation demonstrating the new Apple headgear:

timgoggles.jpg

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Assuming Gurman is "right" and several new Macs appear at WWDC, what are we betting on?

The MacBook Air 15" seems like a certainty.

I will guess an M2 Studio and at least a preview of the Mac Pro. An iMac seems like a long shot...but that's the case for all desktops within Apple's line these days!

EDIT: Just saw the latest Gurman post

Feb 2023: No M2 Studio guys

May 2023: I got a great scoop everyone!

Such a fraud lately. Doesn't even give credit to the guy that first found these model numbers a few weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Assuming Gurman is right and several new Macs appear at WWDC, what are we betting on?

The MacBook Air 15" seems like a certainty.

I will guess an M2 Studio and at least a preview of the Mac Pro. An iMac seems like a long shot...but that's the case for all desktops within Apple's line these days!

m2 max and ultra desktops are coming.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Assuming Gurman is "right" and several new Macs appear at WWDC, what are we betting on?
PowerBook G5.

EDIT: Just saw the latest Gurman post
Bad penny that one, keeps showing up.

I'm tired, just so tired. Please, Apple, finish off the transition. Even if it doesn't ship immediately, announce the Apple Silicon Mac Pro so that I don't have to continue to hear the endless speculation. Which means that they probably won't.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm tired, just so tired. Please, Apple, finish off the transition. Even if it doesn't ship immediately, announce the Apple Silicon Mac Pro so that I don't have to continue to hear the endless speculation. Which means that they probably won't.
Yeah, if it isn’t mentioned now, I can’t imagine when it will be. They can’t just “AirPower“ it.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, if it isn’t mentioned now, I can’t imagine when it will be. They can’t just “AirPower“ it.
More like Duke Nukem Forever: When It's Done™. By the time the Apple Silicon Mac Pro comes out, it'll have gone through multiple overhauls, and everyone will wonder why the long wait for an underwhelming product. These sort of delays don't happen with a healthy product release.

Apple's silence on the issue has allowed imaginations to run wild, and is just one of the many reasons that the MacRumors forum is intolerable. In the past week I had to shutdown one poster's ill-informed belief that Nvidia's old drivers could be hacked to work on the next Mac Pro. He then got upset at me. To paraphrase a very wise man: MacRumors, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

My curiosity is long extinguished, and when I say I'm exhausted over it, I mean exactly that. A year ago it was fun, now it's tedious, bordering on the ridiculous. Please Cook, Srouji, Ternus, Federighi's hair, just end this long technological nightmare.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
More like Duke Nukem Forever: When It's Done™. By the time the Apple Silicon Mac Pro comes out, it'll have gone through multiple overhauls, and everyone will wonder why the long wait for an underwhelming product. These sort of delays don't happen with a healthy product release.

Apple's silence on the issue has allowed imaginations to run wild, and is just one of the many reasons that the MacRumors forum is intolerable. In the past week I had to shutdown one poster's ill-informed belief that Nvidia's old drivers could be hacked to work on the next Mac Pro. He then got upset at me. To paraphrase a very wise man: MacRumors, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

My curiosity is long extinguished, and when I say I'm exhausted over it, I mean exactly that. A year ago it was fun, now it's tedious, bordering on the ridiculous. Please Cook, Srouji, Ternus, Federighi's hair, just end this long technological nightmare.
It'd almost be funny if it wasn't so sad. As we've discussed previously, I am also a desktop user and my next mac will "probably" be an M3 Studio. Lately however, I've been having...thoughts. When I see how regular the laptop cadence is, I think to myself that I should just accept that portables are where Apple's interest and heart lay, and given that, I should just get the next MacBook Pro 16" when it arrives. It would save me the worry of waiting to see when Apple neglects/kills my desktop machine of choice!

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
Guys, macrumours banned me for having 2 accounts. I forgot the password to my old email, so I made a new account with my current email.

Oh well, gonna spend more time here. More technical, less drama and less doom and gloom.
------------
To stay on topic, the only OS's(?) I am excited for is macOS and iOS/tvOS and xrOS Headset looks fun, but looks to be a gen 4 product for me.

iPadOS can go on a hike...

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
If the Studio comes at WWDC then its safe to say that they will be regular M generations. ie M2 Max and M3 Max and so on. So won't skip a Max chip or Ultra chip.
It'd almost be funny if it wasn't so sad. As we've discussed previously, I am also a desktop user and my next mac will "probably" be an M3 Studio. Lately however, I've been having...thoughts. When I see how regular the laptop cadence is, I think to myself that I should just accept that portables are where Apple's interest and heart lay, and given that, I should just get the next MacBook Pro 16" when it arrives. It would save me the worry of waiting to see when Apple neglects/kills my desktop machine of choice!

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
It'd almost be funny if it wasn't so sad. As we've discussed previously, I am also a desktop user and my next mac will "probably" be an M3 Studio.
Mine would be an M(x) Pro Mac mini or M(x) Max Mac Studio with upgraded graphics.

Lately however, I've been having...thoughts.
My thoughts have been more scandalous.

I think to myself that I should just accept that portables are where Apple's interest and heart lay, and given that, I should just get the next MacBook Pro 16" when it arrives. It would save me the worry of waiting to see when Apple neglects/kills my desktop machine of choice!
For those who have followed my endless saga on this forum, I have no use for a portable computer, my heart will always be with desktops. If Apple can't provide performant desktop chips that are more than upscaled laptop silicon, then I'll be forced to consider switching to PC, not by choice, but out of necessity. Oh, the humanity!

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
For those who have followed my endless saga on this forum, I have no use for a portable computer, my heart will always be with desktops. If Apple can't provide performant desktop chips that are more than upscaled laptop silicon, then I'll be forced to consider switching to PC, not by choice, but out of necessity. Oh, the humanity!
Interesting. My attachment to macOS is way too strong to consider switching. What would you use, Windows or Linux?

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Guys, macrumours banned me for having 2 accounts. I forgot the password to my old email, so I made a new account with my current email.

Oh well, gonna spend more time here. More technical, less drama and less doom and gloom.
------------
To stay on topic, the only OS's(?) I am excited for is macOS and iOS/tvOS and xrOS Headset looks fun, but looks to be a gen 4 product for me.

Haha. I'm even more restrictive than you. I really only care about macOS. Actually I kinda like tvOS. I've had most tv streaming boxes, including the shield, and I really like the Apple TV 4k. I use iOS devices, but in truth, I am bored by them. The perils of being out of step with the world as a desktop machine/desktop os user!

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Interesting. My attachment to macOS is way too strong to consider switching.
My philosophy has traditionally been that life is too beautiful for Windows, too short for Linux.

What would you use, Windows or Linux?
It would be for gaming, something I just started doing again in the past few years, after over a decade of ignorance. What I need is GPU grunt, which is currently the land of Windows PCs. As I said, I don't want to do it, but the GPU has been Apple Silicon's weak spot relative to their PC competitors.

I've set a hard deadline of late November to make a decision on this, unpleasant as it may be, but my 2018 Intel Mac mini is quickly aging out. Apple Silicon is amazing, it just may no longer be for me. That's why I want to see what the Mac Pro can offer with the SoC fully unshackled. High-end eventually trickles down to the lower-tier. That's why I care about the Apple Silicon Mac Pro.

The only automatic disqualifier is if Apple crawls back to AMD for their GPU needs if Apple Silicon can't cut it at the high-end. That would perhaps mean that an eGPU would be possible with other Macs, but having experienced the wonders of owning an eGPU, it fits in the "never again" category. Hence, PC wins by default, and I haven't built a computer in over a decade.

Regardless, at the end of the day, a computer is just a tool, and the only constant in life is change.

"My thinking always evolves. Steve taught me well: never to get married to your convictions of yesteryear. To always, if presented with something new that says you were wrong, admit it and go forward instead of continuing to hunker down and say why you're right."
- Tim Cook

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'lll be very interested to see if Apple upgrades these new M2 Macs from LPDDR5 to LPDDR5x and, if so, what that means for RAM capacities.

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...

I think iPadOS needs to become more like a touch-enabled/optimized variant of macOS...

I'lll be very interested to see if Apple upgrades these new M2 Macs from LPDDR5 to LPDDR5x and, if so, what that means for RAM capacities.

Bandwidth speeds will increase slightly, power consumption will decrease slightly, and once the 64GB LPDDR5X chips are available a Mn Extreme (quad SoC configuration) would theoretically support up to 1TB of RAM...

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Apple publicly said they’d complete the transition in about two years, and they’ve already missed that deadline. At this point, they have to announce an M Mac Pro or formally kill it. Apple is in a bind either way. A Mac Pro now has to distinguish itself from the Studio. And if they retire the Pro, or don’t mention it, it’ll look like they can’t execute on desktops.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple publicly said they’d complete the transition in about two years, and they’ve already missed that deadline. At this point, they have to announce an M Mac Pro or formally kill it. Apple is in a bind either way. A Mac Pro now has to distinguish itself from the Studio. And if they retire the Pro, or don’t mention it, it’ll look like they can’t execute on desktops.

They’ll mention it.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'd give you more than one upvote, if I could. Every new Mac Pro model, from 2006 until 2019 was announced at WWDC, and shipped months later, the last two in December. As you say, we're now on year three of the two-year transition. If they don't announce it at this WWDC, then when? September is the iPhone event. The next window for traditional Mac releases doesn't come until October or November, which is when the M3 is expected. The timeline doesn't fit if it's not next week.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
They’ll mention it.
Between Gurman's rabid last-minute reporting, and your subtle hints, I've decided to watch WWDC, since the Mac news sounds more substantial than just a bigger MacBook Air and a macOS bug fix.

That being said, if you're wrong, we're taking your remaining functional limbs.

invincible.gif

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Bandwidth speeds will increase slightly, power consumption will decrease slightly, and once the 64GB LPDDR5X chips are available a Mn Extreme (quad SoC configuration) would theoretically support up to 1TB of RAM...
With 64 GB chips, I calculate up to 2 TB for an Extreme (4x Max):

Currently, the Ultra (2x Max) supports up to 16 chips x 8 GB/chip = 128 GB, so an Extreme (4x Max) would be 32 chips. Thus increasing the chip size to 64 GB should allow the Extreme up to 32 chips x 64 GB/chip = 2 TB RAM.

Top Bottom
1 2