WWDC 2023 Thread

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Right? My first impression is exactly the same.

But damn that’s impressive engineering. That UI is slick!

It almost feels like they decided that going full-bore with their own smart TV was better served with something that was more portable and usable in more situations, which isn't exactly a bad call.

But it also feels even more isolating than everyone being on a smartphone, and akin to some of those personal entertainment devices you'd see plastered in movies of the Fahrenheit 451 and Logan's Run era (the originals, not the modern remakes).

EDIT: Oh dear lord, the explosion of visual noise in the ESPN demo.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
They say it's "prefect for the office", but I think they're overselling that, as pretty much everything they're showing is content consumption. A lot of office work is about data entry and manipulation. So suppose you're someone who is working on multiple large spreadsheets that currently require 4 x 27" 5k to display. Does this have the resolution so you can clearly see each spreadsheet, as you turn your head, with the same detail as on a 27"5k monitor, and does it allow you to seamlessly switch from doing input into one spreadsheet to another?

I'm curious what is the limit on how many virtual displays you can put up.

And does it have a little fan inside so you don't get sweaty after wearing it for a few hours?

Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Especially since they said that 30% of the population is near-sighted earlier in the presentation, IIRC.
Global population, post industrial society population that would be buying this is already higher. Like @Roller said, I’ve heard you have to buy lenses.

Edit: yup, additional lenses that can be snapped in magnetically, does allow multiple users to use the same glass, so that’s good

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’m super impressed by the Apple Vision Pro, looks like it’s next level and I’ll be first in line to get this thing.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Continuing with the "Mac gaming is dead theme", a new Game Mode was announced for macOS Sonoma, along with new developer tools for porting games to Mac. Also, Death Stranding announced for Mac by Hideo Kojima, who confirmed he has been a Mac user since 1994, and plans to "bring our catalogue" of games to the Mac. Also notable were all of the game titles that were announced over the past month were in the slide presented in Apple's Sonoma presentation. It's almost as if these were staggered announcements to build excitement for the keynote.
Incredibly tired of supposedly Mac supporting podcasters and their “Death Stranding, this is embarrassing“ and “they just listed all the Mac games lol”. It’s no ”accident” that so much of their schtick is “hypercritical”. Boring and out of date.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not even enough battery to make it through a longer film on a plane flight. Oof.

So duplicate lenses for us glasses wearers. I had hoped that with the electronic display they could in essence handle prescriptions as software.

That would be a real science paper moment to pull that off, to be honest.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
It almost feels like they decided that going full-bore with their own smart TV was better served with something that was more portable and usable in more situations, which isn't exactly a bad call.

But it also feels even more isolating than everyone being on a smartphone, and akin to some of those personal entertainment devices you'd see plastered in movies of the Fahrenheit 451 and Logan's Run era (the originals, not the modern remakes).

EDIT: Oh dear lord, the explosion of visual noise in the ESPN demo.
I think they’re trying to make it less isolating in some ways by allowing you to look through it to the person and they can see your eyes. In contrast people looking down at their phones … but we’ll have to see how it behaves in the real world

Top Bottom
1 2