YouTube content

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I haven't counted the time units per larger time unit, but I'd wager I probably watch more content on YouTube than I do on any other service (Netflix, Hulu, OTA broadcast, etc.). There is some really, really good stuff, no matter what you're in to. What are some of your favorites? Do you have a particular video you've watched a hundred times? A creator you subscribe to whose content you never miss? Or, do you just not get this whole "content creator" fad and think it'll go away? :)

U

User 189

I haven't counted the time units per larger time unit, but I'd wager I probably watch more content on YouTube than I do on any other service (Netflix, Hulu, OTA broadcast, etc.). There is some really, really good stuff, no matter what you're in to. What are some of your favorites? Do you have a particular video you've watched a hundred times? A creator you subscribe to whose content you never miss? Or, do you just not get this whole "content creator" fad and think it'll go away? :)
I think I might pay for YouTube Premium at this rate. I watch way too much of it!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My husband is a YouTube junkie. He got Premium. My nephews have never watched television - only YouTube.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I don't follow too many channels, the little G, being 13, of course doesn't watch hardly anything long form, it's all about YT. Though she loves cooking shows, like competition type formats, so Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef and we're doing a first time watch of Top Chef, 16 seasons!

Oh yeah, so I like food videos, especially things like Korean street food, and love the Kimagure Cook. Don't sub, but YT already tracks my viewing patterns and recommends the right stuff :)

I like Doug DeMuro, he does car reviews, he's really quirky, but really deep dives into all the weird little details, and is a real enthusiast.

I do a lot of one off type YT research for fixing things / around the house "how tos".

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I don't follow too many channels, the little G, being 13, of course doesn't watch hardly anything long form, it's all about YT. Though she loves cooking shows, like competition type formats, so Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef and we're doing a first time watch of Top Chef, 16 seasons!

Oh yeah, so I like food videos, especially things like Korean street food, and love the Kimagure Cook. Don't sub, but YT already tracks my viewing patterns and recommends the right stuff :)

I like Doug DeMuro, he does car reviews, he's really quirky, but really deep dives into all the weird little details, and is a real enthusiast.

I do a lot of one off type YT research for fixing things / around the house "how tos".
Doug Demuro is great. You can tell he just loves automobiles, lives and breathes them. I like that he can appreciate a $10,000 car as much or more than a $100,000 car.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah, Engineering Explained is fun, Carwow too.

I guess my viewing usually comes from following a link from a blog, forum, etc., then going down the rabbit hole :D

U

User.191

I CA t justify the ridiculously high price of YouTube Premium. It's not like they've got sky high licensing fees to pay for unlike the mainstream providers do.

Sure they pay out in some of the videos based upon monetization, but I cannot bring my head around the fact you can't share this cost in the family and that each user has to pay separately.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I CA t justify the ridiculously high price of YouTube Premium. It's not like they've got sky high licensing fees to pay for unlike the mainstream providers do.

Sure they pay out in some of the videos based upon monetization, but I cannot bring my head around the fact you can't share this cost in the family and that each user has to pay separately.
They do have a family plan that allows up to 5 accounts for $18/month. My sister and I share one of these, so we each pay $9/month. I do know what you mean, though. They got the "premium" part right...it is expensive.

U

User.191

They do have a family plan that allows up to 5 accounts for $18/month. My sister and I share one of these, so we each pay $9/month. I do know what you mean, though. They got the "premium" part right...it is expensive.

Meanwhile I pay less for pretty much every other streaming service AND get shared usage with the wife and myself.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I guess my viewing usually comes from following a link from a blog, forum, etc., then going down the rabbit hole

Me too, and so I'm pretty hit or miss with YouTube and not likely a candidate for a premium setup. Mostly I just do look-ups of certain musical performances or else I'm pursuing links sent to me by pals or that I encounter in reading social media or news sites.

Aside from music, or sometimes dance, I still have this thing re video (news and politics podcasts, vlogs etc) that it takes too long to acquire the amount of info on offer, and while I'm watching, I'm distracted by thinking "geez I could read 10,000 words on this and have time left to make a better lunch..."

One exception has been if I'm looking for "how-to" videos when it comes to using sewing machine accessory attachments that I rarely use and end up finding the manual not helpful enough. It's sometimes a toss-up whether I lose more time just futzing around with my gear and some practice-worthy fabrics, or sort through a couple dozen YT offerings. But I've occasionally found the videos really useful on stuff like shortcuts in piecing or cutting fabrics for complex quilt blocks.

I also watch quite a few other tools, mechanic, car and pickup related channels, but it's hard for me to recommend them, because youtube will believe that you are also into guns and love your cousins and 1st and 2 amendments with all of your heart, no matter how often you click "Not interested"

Yah, I noticed that when pursuing performances on YT by a few lesser-known blues or country musicians, especially if clicking on another video of a particular performer after watching the one I originally went to view. Talk about rabbit holes.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I've just recently gotten into YouTube myself. I never realized what great content was out there.

Just a few of my favorites...

Common Man Show - This is Indian villagers reactions to things. Seeing the old dude crying after getting to see the world in VR was kind of cool. Their outlook on things is fascinating. And amusing of course.

Caught in Providence - He might just be a traffic court judge, but he's a fair judge and soft hearted as well (for those deserving of it). Very uplifting to see the other side of the justice system working very well. And there's some humor too.

Last week I came across Xiaomanyc who is a polyglot. He learned enough Korean in 24 hours to have conversations with people on the street. And he's done tons of other languages that way too. He also likes going into Chinese restaurants and after a dull conversation in English, he just suddenly switches to what seems like excellent Mandarin. Tons of fun, though I've had my fill fairly quickly.

Starting to get a little more specific, I like Otterworldly. A girl Beat Saber player. I've watched some guys and they're boring. A least the females approach it like a dance rather than a block smashing game. And I find fun new songs I'd like to play. I have several other channels I'm subscribed to, but they're mostly VR/Unity related.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Mark Rober's videos are can't miss for me. He consistently puts out super high quality content. Here is his latest:

U

User 189

Mark Rober's videos are can't miss for me. He consistently puts out super high quality content. Here is his latest:

Ah, yes. I learned about Mark Rober a couple of months ago. Along with his YouTube channels and his videos, he's a very cool dude. 👨‍🔬

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I often go down music reaction video rabbit holes. There’s something about watching people of different ages, races, and cultures enjoying music they normally wouldn’t get exposed to that gives me hope for humanity. I think great music is still being released but there’s a surprising amount of young people listening to music that came out before they were born and then saying nothing as good is coming out now. They’re also often blown away by older live shows they wish they could go to.

A close second to that is people reacting to standup comedians.

U

User.191

I’m on a kick of watching “reality’ TV shows from 2005-2015 out of the BBC. I do miss that sort of show and find them more entertains than the American versions that seem to be less believable and more amplified.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I often go down music reaction video rabbit holes. There’s something about watching people of different ages, races, and cultures enjoying music they normally wouldn’t get exposed to that gives me hope for humanity. I think great music is still being released but there’s a surprising amount of young people listening to music that came out before they were born and then saying nothing as good is coming out now. They’re also often blown away by older live shows they wish they could go to.

A close second to that is people reacting to standup comedians.

I'm just going to state the obvious for assumption reasons. She's black. She's black, not American, and loves country music. She's hearing AC/DC for the first time and loving it.

Top Bottom
1 2