Apple’s Sept. 7 Event

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
At the other place I'm getting some excellent tips from another member on how to become a serious photographer.

I took a look in a few recent threads, mostly about the new product releases, hahahaha, what a bunch of fucknuts. Same people just downvoting every single post, and there's a thread about the Queen, and almost every post that's a positive/fond comment or memory of her service has "laughing" reactions. And people arguing about the most inane shit, you step away from that for a few, you get a really good sense of how many of the posters are just waste of time/energy/lifecycles.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This year ordering was very smooth, and both my iphone 14 pro max and my wife’s iphone 14 pro are expected next friday.

Sane here - once I woke up and remembered I needed to be in the Apple Store app to execute my pre-order. A good experience. Picking mine up next Friday as well.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I took a look in a few recent threads, mostly about the new product releases, hahahaha, what a bunch of fucknuts. Same people just downvoting every single post, and there's a thread about the Queen, and almost every post that's a positive/fond comment or memory of her service has "laughing" reactions. And people arguing about the most inane shit, you step away from that for a few, you get a really good sense of how many of the posters are just waste of time/energy/lifecycles.

I think a lot of people there are still in junior high school (7th and 8th grade).

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

That looks more reasonable, though I’ll still withhold judgment until the phone is circulating to the public.

Assuming it’s true, it looks like SP went from around 1738 to 1887 and MP went from 4766 to 5455. Clock may have gone from 3.23 to 3.46 GHz.

So a 7% increase in clock produces a 8.5% increase in SP, and Apple claims a 20% decrease in power consumption. If the core microarchitecture in A16 was identical to A15, and the node was the same, you’d expect a 7% increase in power consumption. N4 is not very different than N5P/N5, but TSMC claims power improvements of around 20% vs the original N5. Apple got around 27% of performance+power consumption improvement, but changing from N5P to N4 would seem to only account for, say, 15% of that. So there must be microarchitectural and/or design improvements. For M3, assuming it uses the same core microarchitecture as A16, since I assume Apple will clock for performance instead of power, I’d expect 10-12% performance improvement over M2, plus whatever they get from going to a smaller node (at least N3 for M3).

As for MP, the buses must have improved since 5455/1887 is higher than 4766/1738.

Again, that all assumes the geekbench scores are accurate and that apple’s claim of 20% power consumption decrease is true and applies to the performance cores.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Why is everyone up so early? :)
Funny enough, I'm always up by 5am PT - not ordering anything though. :(

Edit: And yes, not surprised that Apple dropped the mini - though still disappointed that they did. Funny - that's too small a demographic to make a phone for, but we'll invest R&D for an "extreme" watch? :D Yes, there's certainly a lot of people that will buy it "just because", but their target demographic for this is pretty damn small.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wife always with the "Do it!" :D

1662733875546.png

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Funny enough, I'm always up by 5am PT - not ordering anything though. :(

Edit: And yes, not surprised that Apple dropped the mini - though still disappointed that they did. Funny - that's too small a demographic to make a phone for, but we'll invest R&D for an "extreme" watch? :D Yes, there's certainly a lot of people that will buy it "just because", but their target demographic for this is pretty damn small.
Small demographics that are willing to pay more are different than small demographics who want to pay less

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Wife always with the "Do it!" :D

View attachment 17442
Heh...see, I see that and I hear my wife saying "Stop f'ing bothering me!!!" :D
Small demographics that are willing to pay more are different than small demographics who want to pay less
Heh..see, you're making the same mistake Apple did - assuming that the Mini market was the same as the SE market. It's why they missed the mark with that phone.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
This year ordering was very smooth, and both my iphone 14 pro max and my wife’s iphone 14 pro are expected next friday.
Same here. I remember the Apple Cardpocalypse last year. Thankfully it was smooth this year.

And now I wait
IMG_6192.jpeg

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Heh...see, I see that and I hear my wife saying "Stop f'ing bothering me!!!" :D

Heh..see, you're making the same mistake Apple did - assuming that the Mini market was the same as the SE market. It's why they missed the mark with that phone.
They tried “small phone” lots of different ways over the years, and each and every time the sales were so small that they couldn’t sell enough. Even when their “small phone” had essentially everything that the normal-sized phone had (minus things that physics simply doesn’t allow), nobody other than loud folks who post on forums actually bought them. Raising the price would cut sales even further. Apple simply hasn’t figured out a way to make enough money on these to justify them.

The Apple Watch Ultra *might* fall into the same bucket - remember the gold Apple Watch - but time will tell.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
They tried “small phone” lots of different ways over the years, and each and every time the sales were so small that they couldn’t sell enough. Even when their “small phone” had essentially everything that the normal-sized phone had (minus things that physics simply doesn’t allow), nobody other than loud folks who post on forums actually bought them. Raising the price would cut sales even further. Apple simply hasn’t figured out a way to make enough money on these to justify them.

The Apple Watch Ultra *might* fall into the same bucket - remember the gold Apple Watch - but time will tell.
Agree about the Mini. There's a (annoying loud) minority who thinks there's a huge untapped market for a small phone. But the sales have repeatedly shown that's not the case and it's funny watching them be in denial. However I feel the Apple Watch Ultra might be different. It seems pretty popular already.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Agree about the Mini. There's a (annoying loud) minority who thinks there's a huge untapped market for a small phone. But the sales have repeatedly shown that's not the case and it's funny watching them be in denial. However I feel the Apple Watch Ultra might be different. It seems pretty popular already.
I think it's popular right now, because it's new. If you go to the apple store there are only a couple of photos of this monstrous watch on a wrist. And it seems to be just men. I remember seeing a quick photo or cutaway of it on a petite woman's wrist during the keynote, and thought to myself. That is way too large.

Edit: Way too large for petite wrists.
Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 1.09.54 PM.png

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think it's popular right now, because it's new. If you go to the apple store there are only a couple of photos of this monstrous watch on a wrist. And it seems to be just men. I remember seeing a quick photo or cutaway of it on a petite woman's wrist during the keynote, and thought to myself. That is way too large.

View attachment 17446

Kind of looks like it needs a paper tape reader.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
It would would be fine if it's only used for activities, but looks too big for everyday use (for me)

I used to wear this bad boy back in day when I was training for marathons. That was huge lol But I didn't wear it all day.

Garmin.png

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

My theory is Apple never intended for the $10K gold Apple Watch to be profitable. Rather, it was released to generate media attention about Apple watches in general; and thus generating a lot of buzz for the regular Watch launch.

Indeed, I remember back then when Watch was released and the gold edition was featured on multiple newscasts and social gossip shows for a few weeks. Yeah, a few musicians/actors/personalities likely purchased some. But the country/world-wide "free" exposure on television likely aided the successful launch of the regular Watch.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 17446
Eh, it's a little big for a petite wrist but I don't think it looks too bad.

Top Bottom
1 2