Apple’s Sept. 7 Event

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I took a look in a few recent threads, mostly about the new product releases, hahahaha, what a bunch of fucknuts. Same people just downvoting every single post, and there's a thread about the Queen, and almost every post that's a positive/fond comment or memory of her service has "laughing" reactions. And people arguing about the most inane shit, you step away from that for a few, you get a really good sense of how many of the posters are just waste of time/energy/lifecycles.
We're still friends, though, right? :(:confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::(:cool::p👿🤢😰😭

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, why are people being goons about the name, 'Dynamic Island'. You simply use it, heck, you could even show it someone the feature without ever needing to use the official name.

People are also acting like weirdos about the implementation. It's a camera cutout, covered by / integrated into, a UI treatment. I've seen comments that sounds like they think he camera implementation was specifically to have the Dynamic Island vs. it being a way to deal with a hardware engineering requirement.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, why are people being goons about the name, 'Dynamic Island'. You simply use it, heck, you could even show it someone the feature without ever needing to use the official name.

People are also acting like weirdos about the implementation. It's a camera cutout, covered by / integrated into, a UI treatment. I've seen comments that sounds like they think he camera implementation was specifically to have the Dynamic Island vs. it being a way to deal with a hardware engineering requirement.

It's baffling. So much that I want to be a Sociologist in my next life to get a better understanding of what happened over the last six or seven years. :) Maybe someone like Seymour Lipset, a past George Mason, Berkeley, and Stanford sociology professor and political scientist who passed away in the mid-2000s.

My theory: It's a combination of trumpism and covid. It's now OK to be outraged and frothed up at the drop of a hat. trump as a whiney toddler set an example, giving people permission to act out in such a manner. For the tiniest little inconsequential mice-nuts things. Dynamic Island is an outstanding example.

Being cooped up due to covid (mostly in the past) without normal social interaction with other humans has inspired lashing out for attention to feel good and be noticed, providing a little jolt of feel-good power. The problem is that little burst of power is short-lived and needs to be replenished daily to get through life and stay charged up and happy. The other place provides a perfect breeding ground for the above.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Hahaha, Yes! We're generally in YOLO mode, I just don't like "wasting money", i.e., something I wouldn't use much, and when I do, it kind of doesn't improve anything all that much. I'm not really much of an earbud user, like I'm not on commuting, using them for calls, etc., and I really prefer full sized. I have a pair of Anker (nuds) that are pretty solid, fit good, I have my Senns/Beyers, at my desk I mostly just use my speakers, or fire the Sonos in the other room.

If anything, I should shop some wireless on/over ears.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hahaha, why are people being goons about the name, 'Dynamic Island'

Because it's a goofy, non-Apple name? We're used to iIsland or Apple Island. Dynamic Island just has a weird ring to it. Especially for an Apple product.

That said, I think it's wicked cool and a silly name isn't going to stop me from getting a new phone this year. Even if I didn't think it was a good idea, I'd be getting a new phone (because I'm a grown up who doesn't think Apple needs to produce a product that is 100% perfect for ME).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's baffling. So much that I want to be a Sociologist in my next life to get a better understanding of what happened over the last six or seven years. :)

People, community interaction, motivations, etc., completely fascinate me.

It's funny you say this, we just ran to midtown - some new K-Pop had dropped for the daughter and I hit the adult beverage store :D - anyway, I was talking about "bitching culture" with the wife, and how that's become such a thing, deep diving into meaningless bullshit, being hypercritical has become some kind of badge of honor. "Look at me, I don't find anything satisfying!"

Of course, there's another component, what you addressed, attacking/defending your position, to the point of rage, and of course, having anonymous platforms for it has helped to cultivate that behavior.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Because it's a goofy, non-Apple name? We're used to iIsland or Apple Island. Dynamic Island just has a weird ring to it. Especially for an Apple product.

That said, I think it's wicked cool and a silly name isn't going to stop me from getting a new phone this year. Even if I didn't think it was a good idea, I'd be getting a new phone (because I'm a grown up who doesn't think Apple needs to produce a product that is 100% perfect for ME).

Oh yeah, it's not that it isn't kind of silly, but people are spending an absurd amount of energy denouncing it because of the name, I saw someone write, ITS SO PRETENTIOUS I CANT GET OVER IT ...

Really? Just get the kick ass iPhone 14, take some amazing pics, enjoy the device, marvel at the clever way they integrated the UI with the sensors and don't say the name Apple uses ...

If anything, I should shop some wireless on/over ears.

Geez, the Apple AirPod Max are $429 (~$407 effective after 5% CB ...), all colors, on Amazon right now ($120 discount).

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, it's not that it isn't kind of silly, but people are spending an absurd amount of energy denouncing it because of the name, I saw someone write, ITS SO PRETENTIOUS I CANT GET OVER IT ...

Really? Just get the kick ass iPhone 14, take some amazing pics, enjoy the device, marvel at the clever way they integrated the UI with the sensors and don't say the name Apple uses ...

Geez, the Apple AirPod Max are $429 (~$407 effective after 5% CB ...), all colors, on Amazon right now ($120 discount).

Worst apple name ever was “iPad.” It sounded like a feminine hygiene product when it was first announced. We got over it.

As for Dynamic Island, it sounds weird because it mixes something technical with something natural. But it’s fine. They’ve a history of names that sound a little weird at first. Digital Crown. Deep Fusion. Super Retina. Vingle.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was just glad they went with Lightning Port vs. the original idea ... Electro Anus.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
I was just glad they went with Lightning Port vs. the original idea ... Electro Anus.
They should get rid of the port entirely. Put a 30 pin connector under the bottom edge of the phone that's flush with the surface, that can be used by the repair staff by seating it in a cradle in their shop at the Apple Store (or Apple Authorized Repair Centre...heh...or in the toolkit you can sign out) :)

People can charge wirelessly - and hell, give them a cradle they can buy if they really need to be able to have a hard-wired connection to their phone so they can put it into DFU mode and blast an IPSW onto it when they brick it (for the Dev's) :)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

The Hypertransport bus at AMD was called Lightning Data Transport (LDT) by us engineers - we were surprised they didn’t just go with that.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
They should get rid of the port entirely. Put a 30 pin connector under the bottom edge of the phone that's flush with the surface, that can be used by the repair staff by seating it in a cradle in their shop at the Apple Store (or Apple Authorized Repair Centre...heh...or in the toolkit you can sign out) :)

People can charge wirelessly - and hell, give them a cradle they can buy if they really need to be able to have a hard-wired connection to their phone so they can put it into DFU mode and blast an IPSW onto it when they brick it (for the Dev's) :)

The wireless connectivity to Xcode is pretty flakey, so every developer would buy that cradle.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score

I prefer to charge hard wired.

Faster and produces less heat.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
I prefer to charge hard wired.

Faster and produces less heat.
Yeah, they could always do some sort of MagSafe connector that actually latches onto the end of the phone (heh - but what would they call it, now that they've gone and repurposed that name for the iPhone's "wireless" charging connectors) :)

Edit: Also, charging faster always used to reduce your battery life - I know Apple's done some work on throttling how quickly that happens - but I tend to have "wireless" chargers just about everywhere, so fine "trickle charging" to top it up on the regular. :)

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
… I was talking about "bitching culture" with the wife, and how that's become such a thing, deep diving into meaningless bullshit, being hypercritical has become some kind of badge of honor. "Look at me, I don't find anything satisfying!"

That was me caused that. I am never happy unless I am complaining or pissed off about something (or as the kids say these days, "sth"). How that works exactly, never happy except whenkI am not, is a bit baffling, but all happiness amounts to is the brief pause between the right crross and the uppercut – life sucks, so ride the misery like Muad'dib on a sandworm.

zakarhino

Reaction score
The most baffling thing to come out of the whole Dynamic Island situation has nothing to do with the name and everything to do with people's complete infatuation with the way it integrates notifications. I get it's a nice to have feature for keeping track of timers, uber rides, or whatever but there were people making threads about how it's a game changer and it alone has convinced them to upgrade. That's kind of insane to me considering when the feature was demo'd during the keynote I honestly didn't feel any sort of way about it, I barely registered it as a feature but rather a reskin of what already exists in iOS 16.

Top Bottom
1 2