Apple’s Sept. 7 Event

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
A lot of the time the actual products look a lot better than the CAD drawings. I’m keeping an open mind until we see the actual product.

i agree the profile looks really odd in the CAD drawings, though.
Yeah I'll wait until we actually see the real device to decide.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Love my Mac's for sure.

But the wife and daughter are locked into iOS, so I am stuck. If it were just me, I would be using an Android in a heartbeat. In fact, my tablet is a Samsung.
I always cringe when I hear the term "ecosystem". I generally dislike being locked into any one vendor. For those who like it, that's fine, but it's not for me. If for whatever reason I ever wanted or needed to switch to PC, then it would be simple as building one myself. I just think Microsoft has terrible design and x86 is a woefully outdated architecture. I try to keep my tech as modular as possible, so that I don't get locked into any particular company, making it difficult to extract myself.

That being said, I adore Macs, and can't see myself ever giving up on the platform, even if it means losing out on things like expandability and a handful of PC games.

"The only problem with Microsoft is that they just have no taste."
-Steve Jobs

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
@Nycturne - Yoused was obviously talking about the Mac Mini - they're not putting an M2 chip into an iPhone. :)

Herdfan was talking about the iPhone Mini, Yoused responded about the Mac Mini. Hence my reply.

EDIT: There’s definitely some irony here replying “you are missing the context” to someone pointing out the missed context. :)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
One site, FWIW, is saying that the A16 will be on N4 (they claim Apple placed a big N4 order with TSMC). This could make sense, if they are planning to put upper-end Mac M2s on N3, which is somewhat limited availability, as Macs are much lower volume than iThings.
I thought it was a given that A16 would not be on N3.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was seeing some as were saying A16 would be N5 or N5P, because N4 (AIUI) just did not have that much to offer.
Oh. I suppose it’s always possible. But I assume A16 will have a lot of new stuff on it to handle the fancier cameras, and they’ll want to minimize power consumption for the always-on-display functions, and it’ll likely be N4.

If it’s N5, would be hard to differentiate vs. the A15 in the iPhone 14 non-pro models, possibly.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Sounds like there's a bunch of us iPhone 13 Pro Max owners who will likely sit out this product cycle.

Mine is [still] terrific, battery, camera, display, I don't think there will be some compelling brand new features. I'm sure the camera, like always, will get some incremental improvements, if I was 2 or more revisions behind maybe/probably. I came from an iPhone X, so the 13PM was a pretty notable update.

I think maybe it's time for the wife and daughter to get an upgrade. :)

And I totally dig on that design for the Watch Pro, that's probably a "day one" order, definitely the next gen for the wife (not sure if she's into a beefier design).

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sounds like there's a bunch of us iPhone 13 Pro Max owners who will likely sit out this product cycle.

Mine is [still] terrific, battery, camera, display, I don't think there will be some compelling brand new features. I'm sure the camera, like always, will get some incremental improvements, if I was 2 or more revisions behind maybe/probably. I came from an iPhone X, so the 13PM was a pretty notable update.

And I totally dig on that design for the Watch Pro, that's probably a "day one" order, definitely the next gen for the wife (not sure if she's into a beefier design).

Yeah, I'm keeping my 13 Pro Max. It is perfectly fine for my needs. I'm not gonna pay for a smaller notch or Always On Display.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

I think the camera improvements will be more than incremental this time - the lenses are huge, the sensor size has increased, and the megapixel count has gone up (which would not impress me except that the sensor is clearly bigger too)

Some sort of satellite communications for SOS is rumored - can’t say as I’ve been in a position to need that, though.

New notch may or may not make a practical difference, depending on what the software does with it.

Always on display is not something that would be useful to me - I don’t glance at my phone when it’s off since I wear an Apple Watch and glance at that instead.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, the AOD seems to be something that's a huge deal for some, or a "don't care at all", and like you, I fall into that latter group :D I have a Watch S5, and the AOD hasn't improved my experience (I use it exactly the same way as I did with a non-AOD).

Well, I guess it depends on how large of an increment :D Like if the camera was better as in the improvements from my X to my 13PM? I might consider an upgrade. The thing for me is if it makes huge meaningful impact in how I experience the photos I shoot. Like the X to 13, there was a major increase in low light performance, I'm talking pics I take where I couldn't make out anything vs. pics where I'm able to see very good detail. The other use cases while also better, were less of a thing for me.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm keeping my 13 Pro Max. It is perfectly fine for my needs. I'm not gonna pay for a smaller notch or Always On Display.

I might postpone an iPad upgrade yet again, and get an iPhone 13 refurb to replace my XR, which I've discovered works fine for reading books with vertical scrolling turned on. I do want a phone that is a little less long in the tooth. A 13 bought off the refurb shelf fairly soon would fit the bill.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Is your wife one of those people who wants the smallest phone and then sets the font to the largest size? I have yet to find a logical explanation for this phenomenon.

THE SIZE OF OUR JEANS OR SHIRT POCKETS...

We want them to fit in small pockets but some of us have aging eyes and need to jack up the fonts or use the zoom feature. The tradeoff for some of us still does favor a small physical phone size when we are on the go.. Love my old SE even if I do use the XR when I'm stationary in kitchen or living room. When I'm running around the house or I'm outside and want the phone in pocket, i like the original SE's dimensions and weight. Heck I was always a fan of that tiny Juke cellphone back in the days of phone/music-player.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Is your wife one of those people who wants the smallest phone and then sets the font to the largest size? I have yet to find a logical explanation for this phenomenon.
Go find a resizable web page. Expand the browser window to the full width of your computer monitor. Read the text on the page, as the lines stretch almost two feet across and contain sixty or more words. Now squeeze the page to a fifth of your screen and see how it is to read. Narrow columns of text are much easier to read, and bigger font sizes help with that.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Go find a resizable web page. Expand the browser window to the full width of your computer monitor. Read the text on the page, as the lines stretch almost two feet across and contain sixty or more words. Now squeeze the page to a fifth of your screen and see how it is to read. Narrow columns of text are much easier to read, and bigger font sizes help with that.
Yep. That’s why newspapers have columns. I love columns.

D

Deleted member 215

I have the 13 Pro. I decided against the Pro Max even though I've had the larger phone since 2018 because I was disappointed in the fact that the 13 Pro Max was bigger and heavier than the 12 Pro Max, which was bigger and heavier than the 11 Pro Max. Now that I'm hearing that the 14 Pro Max is going to be, you guessed it, bigger and heavier than the 13 Pro Max, and that a new "Plus" model is coming out that doesn't have all the Pro features but has the larger screen size that I like without as much heft and thickness, I'm thinking the 14 Plus might tempt me. I haven't had the "cheap" model (what I call the "non-Pro" models) since the 8 Plus, but I could see getting the 14 Plus absolutely. I think it will be a popular model for those of us who want a larger screen size but would like to pay less (and in my case, don't want the extra bulk of the Pro Max).

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ve been on a 3-year upgrade cycle since the 6 Plus. I plan to stick with that, so will probably wait until the 15. My 12 Pro is still great, but battery health is only 88%. I don’t notice it in day-to-day use, though.

Top Bottom
1 2