Apple’s Sept. 7 Event

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
We upgraded to 13's last year - me, the mini, the wife the PM. Yes, I'm envious as all hell of her camera....don't get me started. ;)
Also replaced my watch in the summer as my S3 took a flying leap poolside to end it all. :)
My 2018 15" MBP is working just fine, so no need to pursue an Mx just yet.
I'm not holding my breath for a worthy Mac Mini - just keep getting disappointed.

Heh - so, no, not expecting anything that will be all that exciting today. :)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Sounds like there's a bunch of us iPhone 13 Pro Max owners who will likely sit out this product cycle.

I have a 12 Pro, the offspring has a 13 Pro. Just playing with hers when she got it, it looked like a nice upgrade from the 12P. So if I had a 13P, I can't see what else the 14 could offer.

Now coming from a 12, I will be upgrading.

Seems like the upgrades are much more incremental now than they used to be. I remember getting up a 2:55a so I could order a new 3, 4 and 5. Now you can just go to the store on launch day and get what you want.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Is your wife one of those people who wants the smallest phone and then sets the font to the largest size? I have yet to find a logical explanation for this phenomenon.

LOL No. Her eyes are still pretty good. For her age anyway. ;)

She just doesn't like walking around with a Phablet. For her a phone is just a phone. She uses her iPad for most things.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Go find a resizable web page. Expand the browser window to the full width of your computer monitor. Read the text on the page, as the lines stretch almost two feet across and contain sixty or more words. Now squeeze the page to a fifth of your screen and see how it is to read. Narrow columns of text are much easier to read, and bigger font sizes help with that.

One of the major reasons narrow columns are easier to read is that a reader's brain subconsciously processes text several lines ahead of what's currently been read/interpreted, providing contextual cues as to what's being communicated, thus making reading easier.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have a 12 Pro, the offspring has a 13 Pro. Just playing with hers when she got it, it looked like a nice upgrade from the 12P. So if I had a 13P, I can't see what else the 14 could offer.

Now coming from a 12, I will be upgrading.

Seems like the upgrades are much more incremental now than they used to be. I remember getting up a 2:55a so I could order a new 3, 4 and 5. Now you can just go to the store on launch day and get what you want.

Yeah, I usually do every other year for iPhones, so even with my comment about "possibly", it's honestly, highly unlikely I'd do an upgrade on my year old phone.

Usually what we do is every other year, but with a year offset between the wife and I, so like she might get a new 14, so we'd have one "in the family" so to speak, then next year I'd get the newer phone. Since the updates tend to be focused on camera tech, and we're always together for picture related events/experiences, that means we usually have most recent camera tech on hand.

She's actually on an 11 Pro, so a couple of versions behind, probably a good year for her to get an update. Daughter is on an 11.

1662559207315.png

o_O

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple Watch up first. Re-enacting all the lives saved is a bit much.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple Watch Series 8:

- temperature sensor. Marketing it as for women‘s cycle tracking/ovulation. Seems like it won’t tell you your body temperature, but will tell you how far your temperature is from “baseline.” Seems weird to not address illness detection.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple Watch Series 8:

- car crash detection. They added a high-G accelerometer just for that? Runs only when driving. Only processes data around time of crash.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple Watch Series 8:

- same battery life (18 hour).
- new: low power mode (up to 36 hours of battery life). Disables always on display and auto-workout detection. Works on Series 4 and later.
- international roaming now on cellular models (Series 5 and later)

Four aluminum colors, 3 stainless steel colors.

Can use Nike watch faces with ANY watch, now, with watchOS 9

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Overall, Series 8 seems kind of “eh,” especially if you aren’t an ovulating woman.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Apple Watch Series 8:

- temperature sensor. Marketing it as for women‘s cycle tracking/ovulation. Seems like it won’t tell you your body temperature, but will tell you how far your temperature is from “baseline.” Seems weird to not address illness detection.
Maybe that would be considered more medical and require approval it isn’t likely to get due to lack of precision or something?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple Watch SE: the back is a “nylon composite.” Hmm..

Top Bottom
1 2