COVID Stupid

Americans With PhDs Are The Most Anti-Vaccine Among All Educational Groups

I would take this with a huge mountain (not a grain) of salt:

Researchers surveyed just over five million US adults in an online survey, with 10,000 reporting that they were educated to PhD level.

I would take this with a huge mountain (not a grain) of salt:
The vast majority of my friends hold Ph.D.s (go figure), and they were all first in line for vaccinations. Even here in the south.

The vast majority of my friends hold Ph.D.s (go figure), and they were all first in line for vaccinations. Even here in the south.
It doesn’t pass the smell test, and then reading that it’s an online survey, relying on people to self-report their education status kind of sealed it for me...

It doesn’t pass the smell test, and then reading that it’s an online survey, relying on people to self-report their education status kind of sealed it for me...
Well, maybe it would have passed the smell test if you had sampled covid-19 yourself?

Have to agree that relying on people to self-report their level of education is … potentially problematic.

Americans With PhDs Are The Most Anti-Vaccine Among All Educational Groups

Well there goes completely blaming Republicans. Most of the .edu crowd are Dems.

Well there goes completely blaming Republicans. Most of the .edu crowd are Dems.
Why would only 8% of people with a Master’s be hesitant but then 25% of PhD be? People self-reported their degrees, and only 10K reported to have PhDs... so it would take less than 0.1% of survey respondents to lie and say they have a PhD to massively skew the results.

Also notable: the researchers didn’t mention anything about that 25% PhD in the paper’s text... they were more interested in the decline in hesitancy over time in the overall survey group.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1427758908915912716/

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1427786738550722565/

E875F7YXEAYUqb4

One Texas school district has found a way to circumvent Abbott's executive order. Of course, Abbott himself will probably do will since he's vaccinated, has had a third shot, and reportedly has received monoclonal antibodies. In the tradition of Trump, DeSantis, and other so-called leaders, he cares only about his electoral well-being, not about the health of his constituents.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1427800469351636998/

not stupid but stupid people caused it.

Alabama doctor says he won’t treat unvaccinated people: ‘COVID is miserable way to die’​

An Alabama doctor is taking a bold stance in the efforts to get more people vaccinated against COVID-19.

Dr. Jason Valentine, a physician at Mobile’s Diagnostic and Medical Clinic Infirmary Health, posted a photo on his Facebook page showing him posed next to a sign that says “effective Oct. 1, 2021, Dr. Valentine will no longer see patients that are not vaccinated against COVID-19.”

Since posting the sign, Valentine wrote that three unvaccinated patients asked where they could get a vaccine.

“No conspiracy theories, no excuses. Just where do they go,” he added.

Valentine had a blunt answer for those who asked him about his decision.

“If they asked why, I told them COVID is a miserable way to die and I can’t watch them die like that,” he wrote.

Back