Cruise ship discussion

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Or my wife, who insisted on printing out the entire cruise itinerary that's at our fingertips digitally.

I did read somewhere that one cruise line, can't remember which one, is going to no longer put the daily activities flyer in the cabin and has moved them to their app.

So does that mean everyone gets free WiFi?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I did read somewhere that one cruise line, can't remember which one, is going to no longer put the daily activities flyer in the cabin and has moved them to their app.

So does that mean everyone gets free WiFi?
For one device only, we paid the premium for multiple. This will be my first cruise (5 days) and I'm NOT looking forward to it (don't tell my wife) but am doing it because she really wants to. Going to start taking anti nausea drugs tomorrow and it's expected to be a rough ride the whole way. Good times.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
For one device only, we paid the premium for multiple. This will be my first cruise (5 days) and I'm NOT looking forward to it (don't tell my wife) but am doing it because she really wants to. Going to start taking anti nausea drugs tomorrow and it's expected to be a rough ride the whole way. Good times.
Avoid the back of the ship. I have found that is where you feel the up and down, rolling movement more so than other places.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Get some of these.

You can get them at most drug stores. Wife swears by them.

Avoid the back of the ship. I have found that is where you feel the up and down, rolling movement more so than other places.

This for sure.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Get some of these.

You can get them at most drug stores. Wife swears by them.

This for sure.
I’m going to take Bonine, is there any real science to back these wristbands?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’m going to take Bonine, is there any real science to back these wristbands?

They use acupressure to lessen the effects. Not sure how it works to be honest. I do know they have been around for a while as we have been cruising together since '93.

The wife puts them on when she boards a ship and other than showering, she leaves them on. Even has a black set for evening wear.

She also keeps them in the car so she can read on long trips.

Which line are you on?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
They use acupressure to lessen the effects. Not sure how it works to be honest. I do know they have been around for a while as we have been cruising together since '93.

The wife puts them on when she boards a ship and other than showering, she leaves them on. Even has a black set for evening wear.

She also keeps them in the car so she can read on long trips.

Which line are you on?
I suppose it couldn't hurt either way. We are taking the Crown Princess, cabin is midship on the 9th deck. It's supposed to be stormy weather the whole time. :(

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I suppose it couldn't hurt either way. We are taking the Crown Princess, cabin is midship on the 9th deck. It's supposed to be stormy weather the whole time. :(

Beautiful ship. If this is your first cruise, you picked well.

Haven't been on the Crown, but have been on a couple of its sisters: Grand and Caribbean.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Beautiful ship. If this is your first cruise, you picked well.

Haven't been on the Crown, but have been on a couple of its sisters: Grand and Caribbean.
Have you sailed in bad weather? I just don't want to be sick the whole time.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Have you sailed in bad weather? I just don't want to be sick the whole time.

Couple of times. Once on the trip from St. Thomas into San Juan it was really rough, to the point it was hard to stay in bed. But these are big ships with modern stabilizers and they do a pretty good job of keeping it stable.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I've been on a few cruises on ships large and small. I've never gotten significant motion sickness, though none of the cruises were in conditions that would be considered really bad. One thing I would advise is bringing a lot of hand sanitizer/wipes (there are many opportunities for spread of viruses and other microbes on ships), as well as OTC meds for diarrhea, motion sickness, and headache. One of the coolest things I ever did on a cruise was star watching late at night. Hopefully, @Eric will get the opportunity.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Cruise is still a couple of days away and I've already started the Bonine just to have it in my system. Waves are expected to be 18 to 22 feet on the first day as the storm rolls in so I'm sure we're going to feel it, not sure what will happen after that. It appears there will be rain every day so I doubt I'll be doing any star gazing but will try to get out on deck whenever possible.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
@Eric you probably need to work on the anxiety of getting seasick as well. I don’t know how susceptible you are with motion sickness, but the build up of it happening i feel can be worse. I know it’s almost pointless to say this, but try not to dwell on the chance of the seasickness being bad.

I get mildly seasick, and it doesn’t happen all the time. The good news is the bigger ships dampened the effects. Different things work for different people. For me the worst things for me was spending time on the stern, and when I had symptoms, staying in a room without a window to gaze at a fixed point on the horizon.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Yeah, that's definitely on the rough side.

Ships are good about trying to move away from storms, but that is easier in the Caribbean.

Hope it calms down for you.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m so sorry that you are having a bad time cruising, @Eric. We’re getting ready for a cruise at the end of April with the entire family to celebrate my mother’s 90th birthday. Heading to the usual places in Mexico, but not really planning on getting off the ship other than to take a walk in the little touristy areas at the dock. My brother and his family have planned shore excursions.

Meanwhile we’re looking at a 3 week repositioning cruise in ‘25 that departs and returns to NY with stops in England and Germany. I figure my husband is willing to fly as far as NY, but this is the only way to get him to Europe.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’m so sorry that you are having a bad time cruising, @Eric. We’re getting ready for a cruise at the end of April with the entire family to celebrate my mother’s 90th birthday. Heading to the usual places in Mexico, but not really planning on getting off the ship other than to take a walk in the little touristy areas at the dock. My brother and his family have planned shore excursions.

Meanwhile we’re looking at a 3 week repositioning cruise in ‘25 that departs and returns to NY with stops in England and Germany. I figure my husband is willing to fly as far as NY, but this is the only way to get him to Europe.
Sounds like a blast, I'm sure once you get your sea legs things won't be so bad and you can handle all the motion. It's funny to see everyone grabbing the walls for dear life as they attempt to navigate through the ship, meanwhile you have some who seem immune to it, I'm guessing those are seasoned cruisers.

Good thing is you'll get a feel for whether you like it or not on the upcoming cruise (if you haven't already) so you'll have an idea of what to expect for the longer trip.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Good thing is you'll get a feel for whether you like it or not on the upcoming cruise (if you haven't already) so you'll have an idea of what to expect for the longer trip.
Oh, we cruise regularly and my husband is a Master Shipbuilder (retired). Things have to be northwest passage bad to bother us.

Top Bottom
1 2