Musk offers to buy Twitter

In honor of the above verge article, I just deactivated my twitter account. I hadn’t posted anything in a very long time, and rarely checked in over there to see if anything interesting was in my feed (maybe 3 or 4 times in the last couple months), but I don’t even want to be included as a statistic over there at this point.

In honor of the above verge article, I just deactivated my twitter account. I hadn’t posted anything in a very long time, and rarely checked in over there to see if anything interesting was in my feed (maybe 3 or 4 times in the last couple months), but I don’t even want to be included as a statistic over there at this point.
Yeah … a lot of the OSINT/Ukraine war stuff is only on Twitter, but I’d be gone too instead of just lurking. I’ll do another check to see what’s moved where, maybe things have changed and people have migrated.

There's a real target on their backs right now from the right and Twitter has become the wild west after removing the most basic protections.

I did not read the article. I will not be deactivating my Twitter account. Why? To the former, it was just a link with no clue as to content. To the latter, because after being on Twitter from the beginning, I don’t want someone to be able to come in and pick up my name and carry on. I’m a different kind of statistic. Twitter will never admit the number of “parked” accounts they have.

I did not read the article. I will not be deactivating my Twitter account. Why? To the former, it was just a link with no clue as to content. To the latter, because after being on Twitter from the beginning, I don’t want someone to be able to come in and pick up my name and carry on. I’m a different kind of statistic. Twitter will never admit the number of “parked” accounts they have.

They changed their terms of service so that now it’s fine to pick on trans people.

If someone wants to pretend to be me over there, fine. (And if they go overboard, California has a very nice ”false light” privacy law that I know how to use).

But I am not going to be counted in a number that Elon can use to try and lure advertisers.

They changed their terms of service so that now it’s fine to pick on trans people.

If someone wants to pretend to be me over there, fine. (And if they go overboard, California has a very nice ”false light” privacy law that I know how to use).

But I am not going to be counted in a number that Elon can use to try and lure advertisers.
I stopped using Twitter months ago, but didn't deactivate my account for the reason @Alli mentioned. Although the likelihood is low, I'm concerned that someone could impersonate me and harm my reputation without my knowledge. And even if I found out about it, my state requires that a suit be brought for libel. Part of me was also hoping Musk would be forced out and Twitter would return to some semblance of normalcy, but I think the chance of that happening is near zero.

I stopped using Twitter months ago, but didn't deactivate my account for the reason @Alli mentioned. Although the likelihood is low, I'm concerned that someone could impersonate me and harm my reputation without my knowledge. And even if I found out about it, my state requires that a suit be brought for libel. Part of me was also hoping Musk would be forced out and Twitter would return to some semblance of normalcy, but I think the chance of that happening is near zero.

I think the libel issue is pretty much moot at this point - we’ve already seen now that it’s pretty easy to ”name“ your account anything you want, and even get a checkmark next to it.

Agreed that you should protect your reputation, but... What is the likelihood that someone will want to impersonate you? No offense intended, and I don't personally know you or if your community involvement that would require you to be more vigilant about it. Me on the other hand, I don't think any bad actors would want to impersonate me or give me even a second of their thought.

Musk threatening to sue Microsoft because Microsoft is removing Twitter from its ad platform. But the cause of action has nothing to do with any of that - instead Musk claims Microsoft “illegally” trained its AI on twitter data.

Always such a professional tone with this guy.

1681942104996.png

Someone's got their panties in a bunch over NPR...

fYCAbvf.jpg
After going after NPR and CBC and labeling them as state media … they’ve decided to remove all such tags again to put state propaganda on equal footing with actual media outlets

1682093939667.png

RT in addition to definitely being state media btw has been airing shit about Ukraine that are more Radio Rwanda than This American Life (there’s a reason Simonyan has been openly worried about likewise ending up in The Hague)

After going after NPR and CBC and labeling them as state media … they’ve decided to remove all such tags again to put state propaganda on equal footing with actual media outlets

View attachment 23103

RT in addition to definitely being state media btw has been airing shit about Ukraine that are more Radio Rwanda than This American Life (there’s a reason Simonyan has been openly worried about likewise ending up in The Hague)
JFC! Nothing erratic about his decisions. RT being de-labeled is beyond the pale.

As someone who has never used Twitter, I had some hope Musk would make Twitter a more balanced platform, but it seems Musk has merely made Twitter essentially a joke- a $44B for him to troll people and rile them up. Simultaneously, while intending to make some reforms, he’s treating the platform like a prototype rather than a product. I’m not at all convinced that’s a good way of doing things in a user end product. And he should not be involved in the day to day decisions around moderating specific users- that’s just crazy. It would probably be in his best interest to stay out of it and have someone else operate as CEO.

In terms of the “state media” label, I don’t think that’s accurate. Stating that an outlet receives funding by the government however is not unreasonable though, even if it is a small amount. There is a difference between getting funding and being dictated by the government. In my opinion, much of our media already serves as an extension of one of the two political parties.

What I also think is crazy are all these people commenting about spaceX’s starship launch exploding as some point to attack Musk. I have long been critical of Musk, long before it was fashionable. I don’t think Starship will be colonizing mars or change transport like commercial jetliners. I am highly skeptical of using Starship as the lunar lander for Artemis. But people who think this an abject failure have no idea what they are talking about. It was fairly unlikely this launch was ever going to be anywhere near close to being 100% successful and SpaceX’s development process.

Back