Musk offers to buy Twitter

I am sure republicans are not up in arms over this. It’s an asshat move. It’s not “unconstitutional” or conspiratorial targeting of dems. He can do it, and he did.

This is when cancel culture is good. Can it go overboard? Sure. It’s also protected speech and in a case like Musk, operating his company as if he’s a rabble rouser trying to appeal to MAGA, it’s entirely appropriate.
Elon may be reversing course as it was pointed out that his plan to remove legacy blue checks and let people hide their paid blue checks so they wouldn’t be made fun of anymore (or blocked en masse) wouldn’t work if he also changed For you to only show paid accounts while no legacy accounts switched.

1680490538644.png

Now he’s trying to hide the paid with the true blue checks. If he removes the trye “legacy” blue checks that won’t work. Of course he might still do it … it was supposed to happen already was “pushed back several weeks” unless an account said they weren’t going to pay and Elon threw a tantrum like in @GermanSuplex ’s post.

Edit: or as Patton Oswald so eloquently put it:

1680491670991.png

Last edited:
Word has it even those who were legacy blue will have to pay to keep it, I would expect outspoken people like Patton and Stephen King to drop, we'll have to see how that plays out.

Word has it even those who were legacy blue will have to pay to keep it, I would expect outspoken people like Patton and Stephen King to drop, we'll have to see how that plays out.
That was the plan but with this new wording and the delay in stripping it from those not paying I wonder if the plan has changed because they realized no one was going to pay.

It seems that many celebrities and institutions have affirmatively said they will not pay, and the zeitgeist is that it’s uncool to have a check mark now because it indicates that you are desperate for recognition. Ain’t cool to be so thirsty.

I question the logic behind this for a monthly subscription. The goal is to authenticate you as a real person, go through the steps and get verified (at least Meta is being really thorough about it), so once you get past that barrier how do they justify a monthly fee? You've already proven it.

I question the logic behind this for a monthly subscription. The goal is to authenticate you as a real person, go through the steps and get verified (at least Meta is being really thorough about it), so once you get past that barrier how do they justify a monthly fee? You've already proven it.
Well, they are locking up features just for subscribers. Like appearing in For You, participating in polls, longer tweet lengths, etc.

Elon thought that the blue check was going to be the biggest inducement, though.

You know, after the last few years, I think I’d prefer to go back to the days when these billionaire execs were content to stay in the background and be content to let life unfold while they made deals on the golf course and fine dining tables, quiet and out of public eye.

Maybe these people have gotten to confident and full of themselves, and will accelerate the demise of their crony capitalism structure. Elon is a billionaire, I’m sure he’s a smart dude, but I’ll be damned if I’ve seen any blatant evidence of it yet. Years ago, I would have said the money was proof in and of itself, but I no longer think that’s the case.

1681009259842.png

For reference Twitter temporarily replaced the bird with the Doge coin avatar - which slightly pumped the value. Because of course.

Twitter is merged with X Corp and Musk claims that the company could be worth $250 billion soon, LOL!
(Given Musk's infantile humor, I'm surprised the name of the company isn't XXX Corp.)

An “everything app” under a company named X sounds like a bad YA novel science fiction villain corporation.

Glad to see this, Republicans will rejoice as it marches ever closer to being the largest online platform for fascism to ever exist.

w27t5l3k0ita1.jpg

Back