Musk offers to buy Twitter

What I also think is crazy are all these people commenting about spaceX’s starship launch exploding as some point to attack Musk. I have long been critical of Musk, long before it was fashionable. I don’t think Starship will be colonizing mars or change transport like commercial jetliners. I am highly skeptical of using Starship as the lunar lander for Artemis. But people who think this an abject failure have no idea what they are talking about. It was fairly unlikely this launch was ever going to be anywhere near close to being 100% successful and SpaceX’s development process.

It’s a joke.

But if you want a serious critique, yes it was a development test, no it wasn’t supposed to do what it did and yes some of it was foreseeable but in typical Musk fashion safety and common sense were thrown out for coolness.

1682100565072.png

Or in this case heat-ness. So yes it turned out to be a mistake.

Edit: and again:

1682112980027.png

1682113009845.png

So yes, even as a test, it was a failure

Last edited:
It’s a joke.

But if you want a serious critique, yes it was a development test, no it wasn’t supposed to do what it did and yes some of it was foreseeable but in typical Musk fashion safety and common sense were thrown out for coolness.

View attachment 23112

Or in this case heat-ness. So yes it turned out to be a mistake.

Edit: and again:

View attachment 23114
View attachment 23115
So yes, even as a test, it was a failure

I’m not a rocket scientist, but I think the lack of flame diversion system/deluge system for the worlds most powerful rocket seems like a mistake- at least until they can better engineer a better launchpad that does not involve those features. I don’t think this is particularly surprising that the concrete was obliterated. And not surprisingly the debris is likely responsible for the failure of many of the engines. But the purpose of avoiding such complications is because these will not be remotely easy to construct off the surface of the earth. And where would you get thousands of gallons of water for a deluge system on the moon or mars. Which all comes back to my concern that this probably is not the best option- or at least an extremely high risk option for the Artemis program as an ascent vehicle. Landing such a massively tall object on the moon doesn’t seem like a great idea either. And the 2025 landing date is typical Musk BS. I think that’s extremely unlikely. But the launchpad, as well as other factors like the aerodynamics of the front fins were well known issues leading into this launch.

And my question is, if we’re using Artemis to send astronauts but Starship for the landing, why do we even have Artemis? Knowing NASA, I feel like we could end up with a situation where starship (if successful, even not being reusable) is used to ferry a 3rd party lunar lander to the moon’s orbit.

I read a while back that the water table in Boca Chica is very high, so they can only dig so far. To build up the land would require a lot of regulatory hoops and thus they chose to avoid it.

I haven’t looked into any of the reporting but I’m curious of the lack of stage separation was due to the ascent being so far depressed due to the lack of thrust that the upper stage was aborted or if that too was a failure in itself.

SpaceX is probably twisting this into more of a success than they lead on, but it certainly far from an abject failure. An abject failure would have been it blowing up on the launch pad- especially if they blew up all the ground equipment with it which was a real risk. There certainly appears to be damage from the flying debris.

This is perhaps the most complex rocket ever created. Twice as powerful as the Saturn 5 and 10% larger. Brand new engines, brand new rocket, novel in numerous aspects regarding launching and reusing.

If you pay any attention to any of the other launches of new rockets many have failed- just in the past year. This is far from atypical. There’s a reason this launch wasn’t carrying a real payload. It’s also why there are a couple more ships and boosters that are mostly completed.

If Starship is successful in being reliable and reusable, it will completely revolutionize the space industry. I don’t think we’ll be shuttling people between continents ever using rockets. Building an independently sustainable colony on mars I don’t think is reasonably possible and if we need Mars for humanity to survive climate change Earth is going to have to be in a worse condition than mars. It’s hard to imagine a more inhospitable environment than Mars to try and live. We can talk when earth is -100F on average, has no oxygen, and is a radioactive wasteland made of abrasive dust with few available natural resources to sustain life. This is merely environmental pandering on Musks part that if anyone thinks about it for more than 15 seconds.

I think the libel issue is pretty much moot at this point - we’ve already seen now that it’s pretty easy to ”name“ your account anything you want, and even get a checkmark next to it.
People are saying those being punished with blue checks should actually use this to their advantage:

1682207119586.png

Eventually it’ll come back but you can just keep changing your name and forcing Twitter to review.

And yes Elon has confirmed that since getting a blue check is mark of shame that he is punishing users who criticize him by forcing them on people.

Which, again, as a troll, I guess works (except being easily worked around where the workaround can overwhelm your limited staff). But is maybe not a great business model when you’re horribly in debt and had been hoping to use Twitter Blue to prop up revenue. But why would anyone assume Elon is even trying at the point …

People are saying those being punished with blue checks should actually use this to their advantage:

View attachment 23129

Eventually it’ll come back but you can just keep changing your name and forcing Twitter to review.

And yes Elon has confirmed that since getting a blue check is mark of shame that he is punishing users who criticize him by forcing them on people.

Which, again, as a troll, I guess works (except being easily worked around where the workaround can overwhelm your limited staff). But is maybe not a great business model when you’re horribly in debt and had been hoping to use Twitter Blue to prop up revenue. But why would anyone assume Elon is even trying at the point …
I'm probably out of the loop but have any of these people said they don't want the checkmark, period, or asked for it to be removed? It has to start with that I would think, if he refuses at that point tell him to fuck off and delete their accounts.

I'm probably out of the loop but have any of these people said they don't want the checkmark, period, or asked for it to be removed? It has to start with that I would think, if he refuses at that point tell him to fuck off and delete their accounts.
It’s pretty much the digital equivalent of a MAGA hat.

And he's forcing it on them, yes, he's a prick but they have a choice as well so they need to either step up or be his lap dog. Right now the look is that he's owning them.

Yes

1682210509048.jpeg

1682210532400.jpeg

1682210553021.jpeg

1682210657924.png

And then of course Musk responds with:

1682210723188.jpeg

As though he’s won some great victory instead of openly declaring his own blue check system worse than valueless to the point that people don’t even want them for free.

Basically

And he's forcing it on them, yes, he's a prick but they have a choice as well so they need to either step up or be his lap dog. Right now the look is that he's owning them.

As has been said Twitter Blue’s own rules allow you to get rid of them easily and force Twitter to expend resources putting them back. Trolling Elon back is therefore pretty easy if they were so inclined. Some have done this I believe that’s why Tiegen for instance doesn’t have the check in my screenshots.

Btw I’m not one of those who thinks Elon bought Twitter to destroy it (at least not in his mind). While I don’t think he meant to actually buy it initially rather than just troll the then company leadership and gain MAGA cred, he’s such a narcissist that he actually thought his leadership was going “to save” Twitter from the “wokes” and he’d be lauded as some genius yet again who this time created an “everything app” out of it with the name of X - as @Nycturne said a life long goal. Now I think it’s “sinking in” to borrow his own idiocy that his immediate plans gave backfired so he’s just decided to lean into the idea that he’s spent $44billion to troll everyone who has crossed him as though that isn’t some sort of gigantic self-own.

Yes

View attachment 23131
View attachment 23132
View attachment 23133
View attachment 23134
And then of course Musk responds with:

View attachment 23135

As though he’s won some great victory instead of openly declaring his own blue check system worse than valueless to the point that people don’t even want them for free.

Basically

As has been said Twitter Blue’s own rules allow you to get rid of them easily and force Twitter to expend resources putting them back. Trolling Elon back is therefore pretty easy if they were so inclined. Some have done this I believe that’s why Tiegen for instance doesn’t have the check in my screenshots.
Okay, appreciate the update. That said, he (and the others) still need to come out and clearly state they want it removed. This is just a game of back and forth tit for tat that Elon will always win because he's the most powerful troll, he'll only respond to real actions. None of them stepping up makes them look weak and owned.

Okay, appreciate the update. That said, he (and the others) still need to come out and clearly state they want it removed. This is just a game of back and forth tit for tat that Elon will always win because he's the most powerful troll, he'll only respond to real actions. None of them stepping up makes them look weak and owned.
They are:

1682215163068.png

1682215190468.png

1682215240041.png

1682215276916.png

To be clear I don’t think Elon is the one who’s coming out looking strong here. Dril and some of these others literally troll/shitpost for a living, even with control of the platform, Elon is an amateur.

More:
1682215778619.png

This one’s ghoulish:

1682215830957.png

This seems to be the consensus rather than Elon looking strong here:

1682216634684.png

Last edited:
They are:

View attachment 23141
View attachment 23142
View attachment 23143
View attachment 23144
To be clear I don’t think Elon is the one who’s coming out looking strong here. Dril and some of these others literally troll/shitpost for a living, even with control of the platform, Elon is an amateur.

More:
View attachment 23151

This one’s ghoulish:

View attachment 23152
This seems to be the consensus rather than Elon looking strong here:

View attachment 23155
Unbelievable, so he's forcing it no matter what you want to do?? At least this guy took a stand, good for him. Looks like all you can do is take it or delete your account.

Unbelievable, so he's forcing it no matter what you want to do?? At least this guy took a stand, good for him. Looks like all you can do is take it or delete your account.
Yeah there’s some evidence now that they added blue checks for some of these accounts if it’s anyone over 1 million followers or some cut off as so few paid for it they want to make it seem like it was more popular than it really was which brings us back to this:

I’m not an expert so I’ll @Cmaier weigh in but it wouldn’t be shocking if he was crossing (civil?) legal boundaries out of desperation/trolling (popular accounts all got it added but still definitely trolling for others).

Oh and if you want more explicit:

1682221268249.png

It’s a shooting gallery over there just mocking the shit out of Musk.

Last edited:
I’m not a rocket scientist, but I think the lack of flame diversion system/deluge system for the worlds most powerful rocket seems like a mistake- at least until they can better engineer a better launchpad that does not involve those features.

The flame diversion system is part of that "better launchpad". If you want X lbs of force pushing the rocket up, you have X lbs of force pushing down pointed right at whatever is below the rocket. You gotta do something about that force one way or another. You can't magic it away, so you either need a surface that can withstand the force (something even harder to do off the surface of the planet), or divert it away from where it can damage infrastructure.

About the only way to get around Newton's 3rd Law is to discover anti-gravity. (EDIT: Or figure out skyhooks and/or space elevators)

I don’t think this is particularly surprising that the concrete was obliterated. And not surprisingly the debris is likely responsible for the failure of many of the engines. But the purpose of avoiding such complications is because these will not be remotely easy to construct off the surface of the earth.

I thought we weren't using Super Heavy on the moon though. Starship itself is much lower thrust and has different requirements as the Moon and Mars are both a fraction of the gravity well you need to escape. Vacuum tuned nozzles are not going to be focusing the thrust the same way as the nozzles used on Super Heavy. So the requirements on how to handle/divert thrust will be different.

And my question is, if we’re using Artemis to send astronauts but Starship for the landing, why do we even have Artemis? Knowing NASA, I feel like we could end up with a situation where starship (if successful, even not being reusable) is used to ferry a 3rd party lunar lander to the moon’s orbit.

Government programs are notoriously hard to kill, even when they are late.

I read a while back that the water table in Boca Chica is very high, so they can only dig so far. To build up the land would require a lot of regulatory hoops and thus they chose to avoid it.

So instead they risk contaminating the water table. Awesome.

I haven’t looked into any of the reporting but I’m curious of the lack of stage separation was due to the ascent being so far depressed due to the lack of thrust that the upper stage was aborted or if that too was a failure in itself.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of those discussions.

SpaceX is probably twisting this into more of a success than they lead on, but it certainly far from an abject failure. An abject failure would have been it blowing up on the launch pad- especially if they blew up all the ground equipment with it which was a real risk. There certainly appears to be damage from the flying debris.

This is perhaps the most complex rocket ever created. Twice as powerful as the Saturn 5 and 10% larger. Brand new engines, brand new rocket, novel in numerous aspects regarding launching and reusing.

There's criticizing SpaceX/Musk for not doing due diligence on new stuff, and there's criticizing SpaceX/Musk for not doing due diligence on everything we already knew from launching rockets for decades. Stuff that SpaceX themselves should already be aware of as this isn't their first rocket.

This isn't anything like SpaceX blowing up a bunch of first stages trying to land on a barge. This is SpaceX throwing out already learned lessons creating hazards for themselves and others to do what? A 4/20 launch which makes Musk chuckle a bit at a weed joke?

If Starship is successful in being reliable and reusable, it will completely revolutionize the space industry.

No disagreement there, but it'd be nice if we made new mistakes here rather than watching Gilded Age: Space Edition.

As for Moon/Mars, I look at that more as a way to walk before running. If we wait to find another habitable planet before understanding how to get humans from A to B in space, and how to get humans to survive long term trips, there's not much point in doing anything in space other than flood it with satellites and flirt with Kessler Syndrome.

Back