Musk offers to buy Twitter

You would think one of the most recognizable brands in the world could go through a better brand change. It’s just Twitter with an X plastered everywhere. Like you couldn’t tell what it used to be…

IMG_0606.jpeg

I’m not sure that, for apple’s store at least, that is an actual requirement. The rule says the service has to be able to block a user, not that a user has to be able to block another user.

And Apple also had a rule against single-character app names until “X.” So apparently rules are made to be broken.

I’m not sure that, for apple’s store at least, that is an actual requirement. The rule says the service has to be able to block a user, not that a user has to be able to block another user.
I think it's a bit ambiguous. For reference, the text says:
Apps with user-generated content present particular challenges, ranging from intellectual property infringement to anonymous bullying. To prevent abuse, apps with user-generated content or social networking services must include:
  • A method for filtering objectionable material from being posted to the app
  • A mechanism to report offensive content and timely responses to concerns
  • The ability to block abusive users from the service
  • Published contact information so users can easily reach you
It doesn't really say who should be able to block users. I'm leaning on thinking that it should be enough for the service itself to have the ability, but it's a weird choice of words. If they were talking about the service rather than individual users having this ability, I believe "suspend" or "remove" users would have made more sense than "block", which is usually only reserved for user-to-user interactions.

And Apple also had a rule against single-character app names until “X.” So apparently rules are made to be broken.
True, but I don't think those two rules are at the same level. Allowing for a one-character app name, when they already have the "X" brand worldwide, doesn't affect Apple's platform at all. But allowing an app on iOS where people can openly harass others without a blocking ability does. Let's see what Apple decides on in the end, but I bet this is going to be a tougher decision than the one character app name.

Plus, there's been a lot of animosity towards the closed-garden model of Apple's App Store in the recent years. Choosing to die on the hill of the one-character name would probably reflect on the public opinion as Apple enforcing dumb arbitrary rules. But fighting Twitter on the block feature could even be spin in a positive light as Apple defending their users.

I think it's a bit ambiguous. For reference, the text says:

It doesn't really say who should be able to block users. I'm leaning on thinking that it should be enough for the service itself to have the ability, but it's a weird choice of words. If they were talking about the service rather than individual users having this ability, I believe "suspend" or "remove" users would have made more sense than "block", which is usually only reserved for user-to-user interactions.

True, but I don't think those two rules are at the same level. Allowing for a one-character app name, when they already have the "X" brand worldwide, doesn't affect Apple's platform at all. But allowing an app on iOS where people can openly harass others without a blocking ability does. Let's see what Apple decides on in the end, but I bet this is going to be a tougher decision than the one character app name.

Plus, there's been a lot of animosity towards the closed-garden model of Apple's App Store in the recent years. Choosing to die on the hill of the one-character name would probably reflect on the public opinion as Apple enforcing dumb arbitrary rules. But fighting Twitter on the block feature could even be spin in a positive light as Apple defending their users.
I hadn’t considered that last point, and it’s a great one.

Is he going to charge in and demand to speak to Tim again?

X Could Be Delisted From App Stores If Block Feature Removed

Twitter could face trouble by removing the blocking feature as it could violate the terms and conditions stated by App Store and PlayStore pertaining to user-generated content

This is literally a basic feature of every social and messaging app forever. It’s a simple but functional tool for people to have a little control of who can interact with them. Removing a feature from an app like Twitter should be borderline criminal.

This is literally a basic feature of every social and messaging app forever. It’s a simple but functional tool for people to have a little control of who can interact with them. Removing a feature from an app like Twitter should be borderline criminal.
Hey it's free speech the haters will have all the free speech they want. others not so much so thats fair right?

It’s funny even some of the far right wing trolls recognize that removing the block button is a really, really bad idea.

1692558759696.jpeg

Now this is funny: Users are no longer able to block other users, but advertisers shall be able to block what they don't want to see next to their ad:

This all goes back to the old saying: If you don't pay for it, you are the product.

To the dismay of Pentagon officials, Musk volunteered that he had spoken with Putin personally. Another individual told me that Musk had made the same assertion in the weeks before he tweeted his pro-Russia peace plan, and had said that his consultations with the Kremlin were regular. (Musk later denied having spoken with Putin about Ukraine.) On the phone, Musk said that he was looking at his laptop and could see “the entire war unfolding” through a map of Starlink activity. “This was, like, three minutes before he said, ‘Well, I had this great conversation with Putin,’ ” the senior defense official told me. “And we were, like, ‘Oh, dear, this is not good.’ ”

One Pentagon spokesman said that he was keeping Musk apprised of my inquiries about his role in Ukraine and would grant an interview with an official about the matter only with Musk’s permission. “We’ll talk to you if Elon wants us to,” he told me. In a podcast interview last year, Musk was asked whether he has more influence than the American government. He replied immediately, “In some ways.” Reid Hoffman told me that Musk’s attitude is “like Louis XIV: ‘L’état, c’est moi.’ ”

Musk’s power continues to grow.

We have a really big fucking problem.

Elon Musk is reportedly planning to remove headlines from news articles shared on X. The reported changes could see Musk removing headlines when users share a news article on the social networking site, formerly Twitter.

It would see posts only displaying the image and URL of that article and users would need to write out any words they wish to share alongside the tweet.

X Blue users will need to send selfie, data to Israeli software company​

X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, will now require X Blue users to submit a selfie alongside a photo of a government-issued ID, according to a report by PC Magazine.

The user’s personal information required by the verification process will be handled by Israeli company AU10TIX software which will store the information for up to 30 days.

It's a shame that Musk has single-handedly ruined what used to be a great platform. I think it's irretrievable at this point, even if he bows out. But it concerns me that Musk still has control over SpaceX, which is now the world's leading launch provider by a long shot. He still owns almost 50% of the company.

Back