Musk offers to buy Twitter

Clearly it's time for Elon to offer up a "limited edition NFT" to raise money from his cult..

ala Trump

He has to come up with something pretty soon or the roof's going to cave in.

[ Memo to Elon: Well look, you can't just go around not paying rent on your offices and not providing paperwork on severance for people you've fired. That stuff catches up with you even if you borrowed legal counsel from one of your other swell businesses, and even if you don't have a communications department to refer inquirers to HR to say "We cannot comment on employee matters." ]​

He may believe that his "coup de grace" today refers to his latest ban on some hapless journo who once stuck a cloud on his blue sky, but the coup de grace for Musk's Twitter is also just over the horizon.

I feel like what he's doing lately is just a long vamp while he figures out whether to sell some more Tesla and keep the lights on or just file for bankruptcy and "see what happens." Maybe the fun of just throwing all his toys out the pram after having to buy Twitter is starting to wear off. Not much left in the pram now but invoices, collection notices and the kind of paperwork that comes dressed in blue cover sheets with echos of "You've been served" echoing down the hallway.

Cue Txell Sust & August Tharrats Blues Trio's track Waiting for the Singer (their 2003 album Nonstop)

I've stayed away from Twitter for a couple days now. Although I miss reading posts from a few accounts I followed, overall it's been positive. I suppose I could have ignored the toxicity, but it was hard to escape.

My brain hurts. Just finished signing up for both Post and Mastodon.
I realize it's not that difficult but I miss the simplicity of Twitter. 😭

ETA: This gets crazier by the nanosecond.

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 5.17.44 PM.png

Last edited:
My brain hurts. Just finished signing up for both Post and Mastodon.
I realize it's not that difficult but I miss the simplicity of Twitter. 😭

ETA: This gets crazier by the nanosecond.

View attachment 20098

Yeah I'm OK w/ Mastodon now but I don't spend much time on it, have no clue where most of the bird watchers I was following have gone (probably Instagram) and it's definitely short of what felt intuitive enough at Twitter. I expect that will change at Mastodon as time goes on, but right now one can't help but feel annoyance at Musk all over again whenever thinking to make a couple clicks to do something on Mastodon that can take way more than that to get done.

Nice move scanning DMs for Mastodon links now in Twitter. /S

Musk could make all this go away for us AND himself if he'd just flip the thing. Sell it to Dorsey or somebody for enough to cover the bank loans... and get out from under it while Tesla is still worth something. Then the Trumpers can go back to TruthSocial and waste money on Trump's NFTs instead of Elon's checkmarks.

Apparently mastodon users have been figuring out how to get links past the Twitter filters:

Their conclusions:

1671246237244.png

Probably doesn’t help that I bet it was a rush job done by a skeleton staff of whoever is left operating on minimal sleep and even less motivation.

Elon's Jet now on Mastodon for anyone interested, couldn't care less about his stupid jet, following to show support. This guy never sold out.

Elon's Jet now on Mastodon for anyone interested, couldn't care less about his stupid jet, following to show support. This guy never sold out.

he brought this on himself.

Yeah, no, more like the EU has spoken. 😝
I hear sanctions for violations of the Digital Services Act can be "up to 6% of a platform’s global annual revenue". Not sure how much would that be with advertisers fleeing the platform. Maybe Musk can offset the sanctions with that yard sale of pans and pots from Twitter's HQ kitchen the NYT reported on.

Anyhow, for the first time since this whole thing started, I can go into Mastodon and actually read posts from people I'm interested in. It's a far cry from the 2k+ people curated timeline I had in Twitter, but enough people have moved there by now for it to be marginally useful to me. I miss artists the most, so far it's mostly tech people in Mastodon.

Back