Russia-Ukraine

Just a quick hypothetical question. Given Russia's history of leadership backstabbing, what are the chances –if the invasion becomes too costly, the sanctions somehow start coming in, and so on– of the Russian armed forces ousting Putin out?

His security must be insane, and he must be –rightly, in a way– paranoid, but I can't imagine he's making a lot of friends with this, and fear only goes so far. The video of him dressing down his own intelligence advisor was chilling to see.

Ah well, better late than never.
EU preparing to freeze Putin and Lavrov’s assets
Eleni Varvitsioti, Henry Foy and Sam Fleming in Brussels

The EU is preparing to freeze the assets of Vladimir Putin and his foreign minister Sergei Lavrov under the sanctions package being pushed through on Friday, according to three people familiar with the matter.

Foreign ministers are planning to approve the sanctions package this afternoon, along with a number of measures against Russian banks and industry, the people said.

Putin and Lavrov will not, however, be subject to a ban on travelling under the measures, underlining the EU’s willingness to keep symbolic diplomatic possibilities open.

The matter was discussed by leaders late on Thursday, with a large number of them speaking in favour of the idea.
FT Link Paywall

Just a quick hypothetical question. Given Russia's history of leadership backstabbing, what are the chances –if the invasion becomes too costly, the sanctions somehow start coming in, and so on– of the Russian armed forces ousting Putin out?

His security must be insane, and he must be –rightly, in a way– paranoid, but I can't imagine he's making a lot of friends with this, and fear only goes so far. The video of him dressing down his own intelligence advisor was chilling to see.
Ha! In Russia Fear goes a loooong way.
I certainly doubt a Kremlin/Palace coup will happen.

This is all about MRGA! aka, Make Russia Great Again.

Nostalgia for a perceived lost past is a powerful drug.

"Sure, we have to queue a day for half a loaf of black bread… but you now what? We have respect! And "The Others" fear us."

That suggests that there are - or may be - individuals (within whatever the Cabinet/Politburo/Executive/Council of Ministers is called these days) with an independent power base who could possibly mount a challenge to his leadership (or support someone who does).

Given Mr Putin's own paranoia, and given his increasing control of all of the levers of state power, I'm not sure that this is the case.
Agreed.

Both profoundly chilling and extraordinarily telling.

Putin took a risk that is unlike him and the only way I can resolve this uncharacteristic behavior is that there is a significant change in his personal circumstances where the risk taken became worthwhile.

You make a very interesting point, and the same question has crossed my mind.

Thinking about this, Biden's strategy definitely achieved one thing. It placed Putin in a position where the decision to invade would be unambiguously perceived as an act of aggression. This has been the biggest failure of Russian propaganda since Putin took power, IMHO. Not even Russian propaganda sites could produce a coherent narrative to justify the invasion and this is something really new - at least to me.
Very true.

And your comment about a "low morale invading army" is also true, more true in some ways - despite its marked advantage in materiél and resources - than is immediately obvious.

For, while slaughtering Muslim Chechens (very much an obvious "Other", physically, theologically, culturally) can possibly be justified on propaganda and security grounds, it is much harder (for a Russian audience, and for a Russian army) to digest a message that simultaneously calls for the warm and passionate embrace of one's fellow (possibly oblivious) Slavs, (especially, when they live in the place where you have persuaded yourself is the cradle of your civilisation), and crudely calls for their elimination on the grounds of their being "neo-Nazis," among other deficiencies and delinquencies.

Killing fellow Slavs - a people and culture you also think of as "brothers" - won't go down well with a Russian army, especially when that is couched, framed and expressed in such crude and racist terms.

Last edited:
You make a very interesting point, and the same question has crossed my mind.
I remember these news and there wasn't any hard or even soft evidence to corroborate, but I'm starting to revisit this rumor, because if added to the equation, everything would suddenly start making sense.

Very true.

And your comment about a "low morale invading army" is also true, more true in some ways - despite its marked advantage in materiél and resources - than is immediately obvious.

For, while slaughtering Muslim Chechens (very much an obvious "Other", physically, theologically, culturally) can possibly be justified on propaganda and security grounds, it is much harder (for a Russian audience, and for a Russian army) to digest a message that simultaneously calls for the warm and passionate embrace of one's fellow (perhaps oblivious) Slavs, (especially when they live in the place where you have persuaded yourself is where the cradle of your civilisation is to be found), and crudely calls for their elimination on the grounds of their being "neo-Nazis," among other deficiencies and delinquencies.

Killing fellow Slavs - a people and culture you also think of as "brothers" - won't go down well with a Russian army, especially when that is couched, framed and expressed in such crude and racist terms.
Exactly. A key thing about military and human nature is that you need to dehumanize the enemy to make killing easier. Out-groups with language barriers are easier to dehumanize. People who speak your language AND supposed to be your brethren AND the justification of the very invasion is too "free these people" (and not exterminate them like in WW2...) aren't motivating targets. I cannot see the Russian forces' morale go up over time. Ukraine can be hacked, air-stricken, radiated, but to occupy, you need foot soldiers on ground. That's where I have increasingly difficult time seeing a long-term Russian victory.

I remember these news and there wasn't any hard or even soft evidence to corroborate, but I'm starting to revisit this rumor, because if added to the equation, everything would suddenly start making sense.
Actually, strange to relate, (and I was wondering about this only last night), a number of years ago, a Russian journalist, (in fact, the TASS correspondent) told me (over lunch) that Mr Putin was thought to be very ill.

At the time, I must say - I must confess - that I didn't actually believe him, and even darkly harboured the suspicion that he was "feeding" me a story.

That is the problem with a media so thoroughly versed in mendacity and character assassination; when they are telling a story that may have some truth to it, you simply don't believe them.

Exactly. A key thing about military and human nature is that you need to dehumanize the enemy to make killing easier. Out-groups with language barriers are easier to dehumanize. People who speak your language AND supposed to be your brethren AND the justification of the very invasion is too "free these people" (and not exterminate them like in WW2...) aren't motivating targets. I cannot see the Russian forces' morale go up over time. Ukraine can be hacked, air-stricken, radiated, but to occupy, you need foot soldiers on ground. That's where I have increasingly difficult time seeing a long-term Russian victory.
A long term occupation will not be accepted by the population of central and west Ukraine, and, while Russians (that distancing and othering vocabulary again) may well swallow mendacious nonsense about "duplicitous" Asiastics, "murderous" Muslims, and "ungrateful" Balts, using such crude and crass verbs as "elimination" - in this context - about fellow Slavs (in the place that is supposedly the cradle of your own civilisation and culture, no less) is a lot harder to accept.

Moreover, the disproportate nature of the Russian military action is also striking; this is excessive and disproportionate and impossible to justify on any grounds, militarily, politically, or otherwise.

There has been no attempt whatsoever at a more measured, more moderate, approach: Instead, it is over-whelming force against an invented enemy.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I never tried any recipes for that dish and haven’t really eaten it in ages, probably 15 or so years ago before I moved from Germany to Ireland (and then to Canada). I should look into this stuff…

Also while on topic, have you ever tried the Dutch snack Bamischijf? Loved it as kids!

Also, for these border- area dishes you could browse the German site Chefkoch.de and then if needed parse the recipe through a translation site. They have some good content.

To understand Russia you have to consider that the government operates very much along the lines of a mafia, coupled with KGB efficiency. Putin is the "don". The early / mid 90s power vacuum in Russia, as the USSR fell apart, allowed those two groups (Russian mafia + KGB officers / other USSR era officials) to work together. Putin didn't get to where he was by accident. He outmanoeuvred, or removed, all of his opponents.
While the world came ominously close to the brink of catastrophe during the Cuban Missile Crisis (and Russian/Soviet horror in political and military high circles were not known publicly at the time), Nikita Khrushchev was not actually removed from office until the summer of 1964, two years later.

In other words, even if there is an appetite for a leadership challenge, means, motive and opportunity may take some time to arrange.

One of the major problems with autocratic systems is the perennially pressing issue of how to set about regime change (peacefully) without destroying your system of government and/or country in the process.

In our world, (legitimate) elections give the victor a mandate (and the moral right to rule), but - of equal importance - (legitimate) elections are a mechanism that enable or permit a peaceful change of regime, one that allows the defeated candidate (candidates/party) to depart from the political stage without fear of reprisal (unles they have broken laws while in office), whereas people such as Mr Putin tend to have to face the grim chocie of dying in their beds or being over-thrown (usually violently).

Actually, strange to relate, (and I was wondering about this only last night), a number of years ago, a Russian journalist, (in fact, the TASS correspondent) told me (over lunch) that Mr Putin was thought to be very ill.

100% agree about this possibility.

A man who knows his time on earth is numbered;
A man who may feel he needs to leave a mark in history;
A man with few scruples about the human cost to his ambitions…

A dangerous man indeed.

I agree, its disappointing. As a European I am ashamed of the west (=us) not supporting Ukraine as we should.

Pretty much each person I spoke to feels the same. Its just - western politicians are mostly cowards, dilettantes and certaily not the leaders we should have.

It's like in the USA, all the money in politics now --coupled with high levels of invective and even death threats during campaigns (and ongoing during governance)-- tends to drive out qualified individuals and attract either wealthy narcissists or pseudo-populist extremists.

A drive towards autocracy naturally ensues, but in a lot of cases the newer leaders are incompetent even if on paper they have the ability to move certain levers of power once in office. The outcomes are erratic and depend both on how well the ground was laid in the agencies reporting to the autocrat and what the rest of the governmental structure looks like.

In the case of Putin though, he's not new and hardly an incompetent, and there is a component of post-Soviet society that long since began to yearn for "the old order" during the chaotic years under Yeltsin and Gorbachev, even if it took a lot of very selective memory to get there. Putin is thuggish but also entirely capable of nuance where it's called for, e.g. his brutal crackdowns in Chechnya contrast with his care not to characterize terrorists as "Islamic terrorists" and his publicized attendance at ceremonies for the opening of any new mosques. The main thing though is his projection of order and strength. To be on the wrong end of it at home in Russia now is two things: uncomfortable, but familiar and so ironically also comforting, at least to those who remember the chaos after the initial joys of glasnost.

Still, over time, Putin's methodically orchestrated changes to the structure of post-Soviet Russian government, and the economic and psychological effect on Russians of living in a kleptocracy -- in a thieving den of oligarchs tolerated by Putin (so long as they kick back dough to him and stay out of opposition politics)-- have been bound to cause discontent not only among the citizenry but within government circles.

Everyone knows Putin was KGB, and no one is sure what is the day to day reach of the successor FSB or other less formal means of intimidation of Russian citizens (aside from mass telephonic surveillance). Every time there's some widely publicized death --by poisoning, by "falling out a window"-- of one of Putin's perceived enemies at home or abroad, the mystique within Russia of Putin's omipotence grows.

And yet there's no way Putin or any autocrat can control the thoughts of the plain citizen or the weary number-crunching bureaucrat or the disgruntled soldier in Russia, say one who remembers having been sent to patrol the godforsaken border of Tajikistan with China in times when resupply was a joke along lines of "Is there any news from Moscow?" during an 8-year deployment... or is now sent to invade a western neighbor whose citizens look just like him and likely speak at least some Russian, since that language is still at least a lingua franca if not first language in homes of eastern Europe.

So what are they thinking this week, all those governed by Putin? Not even Vladimir knows, and the Russian press is cowed enough by now that they're not going to inquire and then run color pieces as filler in their state-directed news of the war on Ukraine. The press certainly might be directed to some pro-Putin opinion. But if one is a citizen inside Russia now and some acquaintance asks what to think of the situation in Ukraine this morning, one might be inclined to strive for a noncommittal response, even though there are photos of protests already starting to spring up. Students and older activists are always the first to bring idealism to the street. It doesn't mean they are alone. It means others are more cautious.

Fear of being found out doesn't mean Putin doesn't have some fairly organized opposition inside Russia. It does mean they must bide their time, possibly until he dies. If he's ill, and ill enough to have a pretty short lease on life now, not only is he more dangerous but so also is the post-Putin situation: a non-democratic country forced to switch horses while running a major military operation is primed to let the military figure out what to do next.

The question though remains whether rumors of Putin's illness really are just rumor, or even a ruse perpetrated by the man himself, to help ferret out hidden opposition, or whether it's true that he's gravely ill and so in a position to figure his legacy will be that he heroically worked to restore all due glory to Russia. Either way a man who would fake fatal illness to discover traitors or who would launch a 21st century attack on a sovereign neighbor in Europe is an extremely dangerous enemy.

One can almost understand the west's reluctance to engage now decisively with a guy who's been clever at revealing or concealing over time whatever he wishes broadcast or hidden, but it's difficult to forgive the West's not having gamed this out far better ahead of time. It's not like they didn't know this day was coming. The western alliances have ended up playing it the way corporations play the quarter-end: "oh hell it's nearly here, ok let's just crunch out how it would fly to sell half of WXYZ and announce a merger with ABCD, let's have this done by 2pm so we can announce it after the market closes."

A likely goal in my mind would be to set up a puppet government and then vacate to whatever degree Russian troops can leave.

a Russian journalist, (in fact, the TASS correspondent) told me (over lunch) that Mr Putin was thought to be very ill.
While I certainly can’t dispute or confirm Mr Putin’s health condition, I am getting increasingly frustrated about this issue (not you telling us, of course).

there’s this journalistic fetish about leaders being sick and this is sometimes used to justify the “it’s a crazy decision” position, bringing it down to a personal level instead of the geopolitical. Trump is sick. Biden is sick. Putin is sick. Draghi is sick. Pope Francis is sick. Holy shit.

Again, not attacking you for reporting your personal experience. I personally heard the Pope Francis one before it hit the newspapers months ago by not one, not two, but three people in his inner circle. Didn’t take them too seriously because the Vatican has more gossip than the National Enquirer.

It's like in the USA, all the money in politics now --coupled with high levels of invective and even death threats during campaigns (and ongoing during governance)-- tends to drive out qualified individuals and attract either wealthy narcissists or pseudo-populist extremists.

A drive towards autocracy naturally ensues, but in a lot of cases the newer leaders are incompetent even if on paper they have the ability to move certain levers of power once in office. The outcomes are erratic and depend both on how well the ground was laid in the agencies reporting to the autocrat and what the rest of the governmental structure looks like.

In the case of Putin though, he's not new and hardly an incompetent, and there is a component of post-Soviet society that long since began to yearn for "the old order" during the chaotic years under Yeltsin and Gorbachev, even if it took a lot of very selective memory to get there. Putin is thuggish but also entirely capable of nuance where it's called for, e.g. his brutal crackdowns in Chechnya contrast with his care not to characterize terrorists as "Islamic terrorists" and his publicized attendance at ceremonies for the opening of any new mosques. The main thing though is his projection of order and strength. To be on the wrong end of it at home in Russia now is two things: uncomfortable, but familiar and so ironically also comforting, at least to those who remember the chaos after the initial joys of glasnost.

Still, over time, Putin's methodically orchestrated changes to the structure of post-Soviet Russian government, and the economic and psychological effect on Russians of living in a kleptocracy -- in a thieving den of oligarchs tolerated by Putin (so long as they kick back dough to him and stay out of opposition politics)-- have been bound to cause discontent not only among the citizenry but within government circles.

Everyone knows Putin was KGB, and no one is sure what is the day to day reach of the successor FSB or other less formal means of intimidation of Russian citizens (aside from mass telephonic surveillance). Every time there's some widely publicized death --by poisoning, by "falling out a window"-- of one of Putin's perceived enemies at home or abroad, the mystique within Russia of Putin's omipotence grows.

And yet there's no way Putin or any autocrat can control the thoughts of the plain citizen or the weary number-crunching bureaucrat or the disgruntled soldier in Russia, say one who remembers having been sent to patrol the godforsaken border of Tajikistan with China in times when resupply was a joke along lines of "Is there any news from Moscow?" during an 8-year deployment... or is now sent to invade a western neighbor whose citizens look just like him and likely speak at least some Russian, since that language is still at least a lingua franca if not first language in homes of eastern Europe.

So what are they thinking this week, all those governed by Putin? Not even Vladimir knows, and the Russian press is cowed enough by now that they're not going to inquire and then run color pieces as filler in their state-directed news of the war on Ukraine. The press certainly might be directed to some pro-Putin opinion. But if one is a citizen inside Russia now and some acquaintance asks what to think of the situation in Ukraine this morning, one might be inclined to strive for a noncommittal response, even though there are photos of protests already starting to spring up. Students and older activists are always the first to bring idealism to the street. It doesn't mean they are alone. It means others are more cautious.

Fear of being found out doesn't mean Putin doesn't have some fairly organized opposition inside Russia. It does mean they must bide their time, possibly until he dies. If he's ill, and ill enough to have a pretty short lease on life now, not only is he more dangerous but so also is the post-Putin situation: a non-democratic country forced to switch horses while running a major military operation is primed to let the military figure out what to do next.

The question though remains whether rumors of Putin's illness really are just rumor, or even a ruse perpetrated by the man himself, to help ferret out hidden opposition, or whether it's true that he's gravely ill and so in a position to figure his legacy will be that he heroically worked to restore all due glory to Russia. Either way a man who would fake fatal illness to discover traitors or who would launch a 21st century attack on a sovereign neighbor in Europe is an extremely dangerous enemy.

One can almost understand the west's reluctance to engage now decisively with a guy who's been clever at revealing or concealing over time whatever he wishes broadcast or hidden, but it's difficult to forgive the West's not having gamed this out far better ahead of time. It's not like they didn't know this day was coming. The western alliances have ended up playing it the way corporations play the quarter-end: "oh hell it's nearly here, ok let's just crunch out how it would fly to sell half of WXYZ and announce a merger with ABCD, let's have this done by 2pm so we can announce it after the market closes."
As if we don’t want to disturb our economies? In the US, regarding the economy, I fear what will be elected in 2022 and more in 2024 if energy prices stay high. And if I hear anyone lamenting the good ole Trumpian Days, I’ll 🤯.

According to reports (Guardian, Twitter, others), Mr Putin has called upon the Ukrainian Army to over throw the Ukrainian government led by Mr Zelensky.

"Take power into your own hands," he is reported to have advised the Ukrainian Army, adding, "and do not let a gang of drug addicts and neo-fascists use your families as human shields."

A few things to note:

1. Mr Putin is now clear that one of his key aims - one of his main aims - in Ukraine is regime change.

Yes, we suspected this, but now we know it.

2. I would suspect that Ukrainian resistance is greater (and more passionate) than Mr Putin may have expected (or his sycophants led him to believe).

Moreover, while Ukrainian resistance to this invasion may be more motivated than expected (by Russia), I also suspect that Russian resistance to killing fellow Slavs may be greater than Mr Putin expected; in other words, the Russian Army may be less enthusiastic with elements of this assignment than had been expected prior to the invasion.

Certainly, it is significant that this appeal has been made to the Ukrainian Army, who are clearly defending themselves - and their country - far better than expected (and both their motivation will be quite high and, moreover, they will enjoy considerable - genuine - public support).

3. "Drug addicts": This is clearly an attack - a personal attack - on Mr Zelensky.

I observed the various rounds of the presidential election in Ukraine in 2019, and this was one of the attacks (made by his opponent, the outgoing, defeated president, Mr Poroshenko - who today was photographed holding weaponry and making clear his total support for the Ukrainian government) - targeted at Mr Zelensky.

Actually, some of the attack ads were as basic as name calling: Thus, "drug addict" (the Poroshenko campaign re Mr Zelensky) and "alcoholic" (the Zelensky campaign against Mr Poroshenko).

"Neo-fascists": Self-evident, re WW2; But - an accusation that is baseless and quite ridiculous in a "hearts'n'minds" campaign aimed at one's "Slavic brethren". You can't simultaneously be a brother to be embraced and a neo-Nazi best eliminated.

4. Other reports (from Israeli, Armenian sources among others) say that Russia is open to talks in a "neutral" venue (presumably Minsk) on the condition that Ukraine "disarms".

Elsewhere,

5: The Council of Europe have suspended Russia over its invasion of Ukraine.

Last edited:
While I certainly can’t dispute or confirm Mr Putin’s health condition, I am getting increasingly frustrated about this issue (not you telling us, of course).

there’s this journalistic fetish about leaders being sick and this is sometimes used to justify the “it’s a crazy decision” position, bringing it down to a personal level instead of the geopolitical. Trump is sick. Biden is sick. Putin is sick. Draghi is sick. Pope Francis is sick. Holy shit.

Again, not attacking you for reporting your personal experience. I personally heard the Pope Francis one before it hit the newspapers months ago by not one, not two, but three people in his inner circle. Didn’t take them too seriously because the Vatican has more gossip than the National Enquirer.
Leaders’ personalities definitely play into their decisions, some of those personalities reach a state where decisions they make can legitimately be tied to a faulty, sick mind. Trump definitely qualifies as such.. Now the rumors of Putin being physically sick, or just the evolution of a megalomaniac, someone drunk on power, I can’t say.

Leaders’ personalities definitely play into their decisions, some of those personalities reach a state where decisions they make can legitimately be tied to a faulty, sick mind. Trump definitely qualifies as such.. Now the rumors of Putin being physically sick, or just the evolution of a megalomaniac, someone drunk on power, I can’t say.
I don’t disagree that personalities and health are decisional factors for leaders (as for us). But unless proven somehow, I am certainly not going to fall for the gossip. Heck I remember hearing stuff in 2000 even about Mr Berlusconi as terminally ill. 22 years later he’s still alive and somewhat well.

I take your point completely, but hadn't considered this possibility until it crossed my mind last night, (when I remembered my lunch) and I read @P_X's post this afternoon.

In fact, as I wrote in my post, when this possibility was first put to me, (by a potentially credible source - a Russian journalist - who may have been worth paying heed to) a few years ago, originally, I discounted it.

However, it would be foolish to exclude the possibility of failing health entirely, and, while I don't argue that this is true (not least because I don't know, and cannot state this, not with any degree of authority), I do merely note that it is a possibility, one that should not be entirely discounted as offering some sort of explanation for otherwise inexplicable actions.

What is interesting is the disproportionate nature of this invasion; Mr Putin - I believe - could have contented himself with an occupation of the eastern regions, even with an occupation of the "enhanced" eastern regions of Ukraine, and there was a very good chance that he would have gotten away with it, not least because a considerable proportion of the population in those regions look to Russia culturally, linguistically, historically, politically and so on.

Then, the subsequent debate (in the west, also) would have been about reconciling the rest of Ukraine (a process that would take years, if not decades) to this regrettable outcome.

But, that is not what is happening: This is disproportionate, excessive, over-kill, - vicious, vindictive and vengeful - and utterly unjustified and unjustifiable by any measurable yardstick.

Even the Russian propaganda efforts have been risible.

And that prompts questions about Mr Putin's judgment, which has been poor on this occasion (in my opinion).

Thus, questions about failing (or impaired) judgment, will also serve to raise inevitable queries about factors (such as matters of health, both physical and mental) that may have had an effect (for good or ill) on that judgment.

Last edited:
Back