Russia-Ukraine

That I know, but I'm appalled by their lack of responsiveness.

To be fair, I have been pleasantly surprised by the relative unanimity in the international response to the invasion, I'm complaining about the lack of coordination in the actual retaliation.
And this is with Biden banging the drums for a long time, and telling them all to have sanctions prepared.

2017-2020 was a very bad time for US relations with NATO and other allies. Brexit has been a disaster, Poland has been leaning towards fascism (some say), and France has some serious issues with the far-right too.

I wish Brexit hadn’t happened, and that American diplomacy hadn’t been cut off at the knees by the previous administration. But this is where we are. It is encouraging to see that adversity is reminding NATO members why the treaty exists.

Perhaps this will wake Russians up and the nation will move towards actual democracy in the future.

And this is with Biden banging the drums for a long time, and telling them all to have sanctions prepared.

2017-2020 was a very bad time for US relations with NATO and other allies. Brexit has been a disaster, Poland has been leaning towards fascism (some say), and France has some serious issues with the far-right too.

I wish Brexit hadn’t happened, and that American diplomacy hadn’t been cut off at the knees by the previous administration. But this is where we are. It is encouraging to see that adversity is reminding NATO members why the treaty exists.

Perhaps this will wake Russians up and the nation will move towards actual democracy in the future.
Yes, exactly. Trump did everything he could to specifically sap Ukraine's capabilities in the last months of his presidency (it is now obvious who gave him that idea), but Biden has shown great resolve in trying to help.
Brexit is the best example, but all of Europe has been under cultural and political attack from Russia for over a decade now. As a European, I am not pleased that, being that this is happening at our own doorstep, we have to count -again- on the US to do anything about it, while treasonous politicians are freely allowed to actively work against our own interests.

Last edited:
Nothing new or surprising, but TFG’s praise of Putin with virtually zero concern for the Ukrainians is beyond sick, and I can’t believe republicans aren’t condemning him. Not only that, the usual far-right lunatics are shrugging their shoulders and using it as argument against the southern border. We have inflation, the biggest European war since WWII and these folks are still whining about immigration, which has nothing to do with either.

You look at what the Ukrainians are going through, you realize how sick Putin is and how one man can have so much power, and everything the republicans are taking part in here in the States makes you sick.

The White House, the EU Commission, Canada and some European countries (France, Germany, UK) have just announced the expulsion of "selected Russian banks" from SWIFT.

Yes, to my mind, it doesn't go half far enough, but, at least it is a start, and is something to build further on.

A tweet from tonight: "My hotel in Moscow asked me to settle the bill early because they aren’t sure if credit cards are going to work once SWIFT sanctions kick in."

I fail to see an end game scenario where Putin doesn't end up dead, imprisoned, or in exile (will probably have to be a island fortress because I can't think of any country who would keep him safe). He's made his intentions clear. It doesn't end here and he won't "my bad" it. It's doubtful, but I hope this comes at the hand of the Russian people because that would probably be the least casualty scenario. Also, if it doesn't come from the Russian people then they are going to be in a world of hurt for decades. The trust is gone.

I fail to see an end game scenario where Putin doesn't end up dead, imprisoned, or in exile (will probably have to be a island fortress because I can't think of any country who would keep him safe). He's made his intentions clear. It doesn't end here and he won't "my bad" it. It's doubtful, but I hope this comes at the hand of the Russian people because that would probably be the least casualty scenario. Also, if it doesn't come from the Russian people then they are going to be in a world of hurt for decades. The trust is gone.

Quite candidly, I'm not so sure that such an outcome could come from the Russian people - Mr Putin's control of the state and security apparatus strikes me as probably too extensive for that.

However, it might yet come from sections of the Russian elite, that space where political-military-security-siloviki-oligarch groups overlap and where their interests, lives, lifestyles - and possibly, their very existence - is threatened by these (deranged and delusional and murderous) actions on the part of Mr Putin.

Quite candidly, I'm not so sure that such an outcome could come from the Russian people - Mr Putin's control of the state and security apparatus strikes me as probably too extensive for that.

However, it might yet come from sections of the Russian elite, that space where political-military-security-siloviki-oligarch groups overlap and where their interests, lives, lifestyles - and possibly, their very existence - is threatened by these (deranged and delusional and murderous) actions on the part of Mr Putin.
Always a good time to recommend watching The Death of Stalin.

*sigh*
Putin is really going all in.
With all the bald faced lies he and his government are prepared to spout, what about small nuclear blast somewhere in Russia, and then blame the Ukraine?
And then of course they would just *have* to retaliate.

I would not put it past him.

Putin orders nuclear deterrence forces on high alert​

Russian president Vladimir Putin has ordered military command to put nuclear deterrence forces on high alert after aggressive statements by Nato countries, Reuters reports.
From the Guardian

*sigh*
Putin is really going all in.
With all the bald faced lies he and his government are prepared to spout, what about small nuclear blast somewhere in Russia, and then blame the Ukraine?
And then of course they would just *have* to retaliate.

I would not put it past him.

From the Guardian
No news there and at this point, it's mainly irrelevant because we are past the times of rational thoughts and proportional action with Putin.

Kharkiv holds. Kiev holds. Internet holds. Supplies coming for Ukrainians. Russia has supply problems and will allegedly run out in less than a week. SWIFT ban. International consensus against Russia's actions.
Ukrainian forces have repelled a Russian attempt to seize Kharkiv, the city’s governor claimed on Sunday, following fierce fighting and street battles with advancing Russian troops.
Kharkiv’s governor Oleh Synyehubov said Ukrainian soldiers were now “cleaning up” the eastern city. He said Russian soldiers were surrendering in groups of five to ten and throwing their equipment in the middle of the road.
“Control over Kharkiv is completely ours!” Synyehubov posted on Facebook. “A complete cleansing of the city from the enemy is happening. The Russian enemy is absolutely demoralised.”

Putin's strongman status is indeed his weakness. If he's not winning, he's losing and he is losing big time right now.

Back