Russia-Ukraine

Once started, such talks can go on forever.

They may achieve little, but at least the fighting and killing has been stopped.

The ones in Georgia - ages ago, I used to be involved in helping to put together TPs (talking points) for some of those meetings - are still - in fits and starts - taking place.

Exactly.

As you know, I used to teach the history and politics of Russia/Soviet Union and central and eastern Europe; this was my specialty.

However, until last Thursday, I would have agreed with you.

Until last Thursday, I would have leaned towards the 'neo-realist' approach, assumed that I was dealing with rational actors, and acted accordingly.

Someone earlier - must check the post (was it @Zoidberg?) wondered about the "experts" and "advisers", and why they didn't "know".

If they knew - or suspected - and I did wonder and warn about Ukraine and have done so since my time in Georgia - they, most of them, - and I include myself - never thought it would come to this.

For, in the past, I have been one of those advisers, and, until last Thursday, I would have assumed that Mr Putin was simply throwing shapes, making threats for the purposes of securing diplomatic or economic advantage (a sort of chess); now, I have long thought - and wrote here and elsewhere - that I believed that his aim was to cripple Ukraine by putting such pressure on political fault lines that it would crack, and split in two.

And, had he confined himself - and his deluded ambitions - to eastern Ukraine, I believe that he would have gotten away with it; we would have accepted it, because some in the east of the country do define themselves as culturally compatible with Russian rule.

However, never did I think he would be so deluded as to attack - in such a manner - the entire country; and the nature of the threats he has been making ever since, lead me to conclude that there are no limits to what he capable of.

The other thing to note is the long, tragic, murderous path of assassination and intimidation of Russian civil society that has been occurring over the past twenty years. To those who ask why Russians aren't protesting (and some are, with extraordinary courage), I might mention that a critical civil society has been eviscerated over the past twenty years, many of its most able, ethical, and prominent members murdered.

We recall the well known names, but some of the finest people in Russia - including lawyers (Sergei Magnitsky), politicians (the outstanding Galina Starovoitova, and, of course, Boris Nemtsov), bankers, yes, bankers, (a deputy chairman of the central bank, who was cracking down on corruption, Andrei Kozlov), journalists (Anna Politkovskaya) were killed in those years. That must take an enormous toll of any society.
Yes, it was me who wondered why the experts failed to anticipate this possibility.

The thing is, I know I’m just an armchair commentator at best: my experience is nil, and my knowledge is limited to what I read, so I –perhaps naively– expected actual experts who do this for a living, to have plans for every possible outcome (even though of course full invasion and nuclear threats wouldn’t be amongst the most probable outcomes).

So there is still room in the geopolitical arena for someone to apply bayesian inference…Interesting… I might send my cv :ROFLMAO:

As for Putin, i saw a tweet by Marco Rubio (one of the remaining sane Republicans, even though he often tries to appeal to the recent Republican insanity) that makes a lot of sense as time passes:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1497393912821915648/

Followed by:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1497968757091807234/

It may truly be that Putin’s behaviour is not a tactic, and that he has actually lost his mind, and that’s terrifying.

Last edited:
That is appalling.
A refugee is a refugee… I don't understand how this works. How can they pick and choose who gets priority to get to safety?

What I do know about human nature is… when the pressure is on, the fractures show very easily. None more so than race.
Supposedly it's happening on both sides of borders. Leaving Ukraine and / or trying to enter anywhere elsewhere. As there is a thread where some places see "true" refugees as "European", and all others as well...

Survival & desperation tend to bring out the ugliness in us all, having a madman just decide to invade your country "because", won't help.

I realize it's an unpleasant thing to see & hear when everything is preferable about the heroism of those staying to fight, but it's an unpleasant truth that never ends.

Personally, while it might be true that he’s erratic, I think it would be a very serious mistake thinking that he’s not calculating to OCD levels.
To me, the thought of a combination of the two is the most frightening. I mean, combining his documented skills with a dose of being erratic is no bueno. Does not help me sleep.

Personally, while it might be true that he’s erratic, I think it would be a very serious mistake thinking that he’s not calculating to OCD levels.
So far his invasion has been terribly executed. The Russians are leaving behind many tanks in perfect shape because they ran out of gas. They have taken and lost airports and cities. They have accomplished none of the main goals that normally would be done in a day.

It could be that he’s senile (oh the irony, after the smear campaign against Hillary Clinton). It could be that he has some incurable cancer and he doesn’t care. It could be that his paranoia has led him to isolate himself and he’s now only surrounded by the most sycophantic of his advisors, and that he’s got a distorted vision of reality.

Yes, it was me who wondered why the experts failed to anticipate this possibility.

The thing is, I know I’m just an armchair commentator at best: my experience is nil, and my knowledge is limited to what I read, so I –perhaps naively– expected actual experts who do this for a living, to have plans for every possible outcome (even though of course full invasion and nuclear threats wouldn’t be amongst the most probable outcomes).

So there is still room in the geopolitical arena for someone to apply bayesian inference…Interesting… I might send my cv :ROFLMAO:

As for Putin, i saw a tweet by Marco Rubio (one of the remaining sane Republicans, even though he often tries to appeal to the recent Republican insanity) that makes a lot of sense as time passes:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1497393912821915648/

Followed by:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1497968757091807234/

It may truly be that Putin’s behaviour is not a tactic, and that he has actually lost his mind, and that’s terrifying.
The other reason - @Zoidberg - is that sometimes, your superiors do not wish to hear bad news, or, an analysis that projects a negative outcome.

On at least two separate occasions, when I served in Somalia (with the EU) in a very senior capacity, I had my knuckles rapped by the Head of Mission - to whom I reported, and who made it clear I was to expect no support - that my reports to Brussels were thought to have been "very negative".

The first secretary of the German Embassy, with whom I was friendly, - we used to have a gloomy monthly beer together - told me that Berlin expressed dismay at the tone and content of his reports, too.

And we used to look at each another, raise our respective beer glasses by way of toasting one another, and sigh: "But, we are only calling it as it is, and reporting what we see."

In any case, I suspect that "the west", or - in the case of my superiors (the EU) when I served in Georgia, Afghanistan and Somalia, or some of my superiors, (the OSCE) when I served as an election observer - have poured so much (by way of money, goodwill, resources, time, sometimes personnel) into some of these places or situations, that they find it difficult to credit, or accept, that such lavish and generous "investment" yields so little, or does not show some (measurable, tangible) success, or can be shown to have been worthwhile in some way.

Last edited:
The other reason - @Zoidberg - is that sometimes, your superiors do not wish to hear bad news, or, an analysis that projects a negative outcome.

On at least two separate occasions, when I served in Somalia (with the EU) in a very senior capacity, I had my knuckles rapped by the Head of Mission - to whom I reported, and who made it clear I was to expect no support - that my reports to Brussels were thought to have been "very negative".

The first secretary of the German Embassy, with whom I was friendly, - we used to have a gloomy monthly beer together - told me that Berlin expressed dismay at the tone and content of his reports, too.

I suspect that 'the west", or - in the case of my superiors when I served in Georgia, Afghanistan and Somalia - the EU, or some of my superiors (the OSCE) when I served as an election observer - have poured so much (by way of money, goodwill, resources, time, sometimes personnel) into some of these places or situations, that they find it difficult to credit, or accept, that such lavish and generous "investment" yields so little, or does not show some (measurable, tangible) success, or can be shown to have been worthwhile in some way.
That makes a lot of sense.

Looks like Russia can’t completely block internet in Ukraine

The EU has announced that it is closing its airspace to Russian aircraft, and will purchase weapons for Ukraine.
I think we all support this, the question is what will they do when a Russian plane provocatively enters that airspace? This could lead to a much bigger escalation, but I think it has to be done.

And the EU has also taken the decision to ban the Russia state-backed channels RT and Sputnik (and their subsidiaries).
FINALLY!!

I don’t have anything against free press, I get my news from a variety of sources, from across the –sane– spectrum, but that was straight up weaponised agitprop garbage, nothing to do with journalism.

During the height of the Syrian refugee crisis, in the same week, RT Spain pushed out articles about how the –then– Spanish government was heartless for not accepting refugees and letting innocent children drown at sea, while RT UK (the UK DID accept refugees) published articles about how terrorists where hiding amongst the refugees. They are weapons of propaganda in an information war, with the sole purpose of weakening the Western democracies, and as such should not be tolerated.

Last edited:
The Yugoslavs (Yugoslav diplomatic staff, who were genuinely neutral) had negotiated safe conduct for Imre Nagy, who was still the legitimate head of the government of Hungary, when he was kidnapped and subsequently murdered.

I've read the transcript of his "trial" and watched the video that was shot at the time; it is extraordinary.
This is a good point, people not understanding how Show Trials worked during those times don't understand the level of animus there is in the East against Russian rule and communism.

It seems like the Ukrainian refugees are being welcomed with open arms so far. Syrian refugees were treated as possible terrorists by many European nations (and the U.S. too).
No surprises there unfortunately. My father could tell stories... To emphasize though, these student are paying good money for their education there so they are definitely significant contributors to Ukraines economy.

Looks like Russia can’t completely block internet in Ukraine

Some pointed it out on Reddit that Starlink receiver terminals are necessary as implied by Musk's tweet. So those need to arrive there similarly to weapons and aid. Hopefully it will, so Musk doesn't have to call people "pedos."

To me, the thought of a combination of the two is the most frightening. I mean, combining his documented skills with a dose of being erratic is no bueno. Does not help me sleep.
Statistically speaking, he is less likely to be erratic than just having a new set of personal circumstances that explain his behavior. For the very reason, because I doubt he didn't calculate with the assault going this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
1645993161306.png

Lamenting a little further. So Ukraine has 245K active military personnel, 220K reserve. 7M fit for service. that's more than formidable

A Nuclear electromagnetic pulse (nEMP) attack could be executed by detonating a special nuke at an altitude of couple of hundred miles and it could strike out the electronics of an entire continent. If Putin used nukes, I'd expect them to be used for something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Nuclear electromagnetic pulse (nEMP) attack could be executed by detonating a special nuke detonated at an altitude of couple of hundred miles could strike out the electronics of an entire continent. If Putin used nukes, I'd expect them to be used for something like this.
Time to back up my most precious pictures to DVD and print them.

I don’t want to derail the thread, but I guess I should read more about the trial as it seems quite interesting. I remember the Soviets doing some crappy stuff, but I didn’t remember this specific instance.

Just the Stalinist purges of Ukrainian intellectuals and later on plain citizens --shipping to Siberia or not bothering and just killing them and dumping into mass graves-- were enough to cause Ukrainians on balance today to have memory en famille of why it's worth the candle to resist Putin's aggression now. Stuff like that went on in all the border countries and those the USSR sucked up as time went on.

Last edited:
Back