So I got Covid šŸ˜’

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Weā€™re still working out where heā€™s been and who he had been in contact with.

Interesting. I would be curious to know what you find out.

I would agree the caregiver is probably the most likely culprit. She got a PCR test but yes, a false negative is entirely possible. I did give them a bunch of rapid tests, so she could that a shot if she hasnā€™t already. She does live with him 24/7 but does go out to run errands.

He also has an RN and PT that come in. Not sure when the last time they were around. But thatā€™s another likely possibility if they were around last week.

Thereā€™s also a couple people from the senior center who come by to visit and do activities with him. This has been greatly reduced since COVID, but I think one of the women still stops by on occasion.

Thereā€™s also some people from the synagogue that visit him, but Iā€™m not sure how often that happens either.

My mom and uncle had visited him ~18hrs before his symptoms began. While my Uncle has been known to be rather lax with COVID reccomendations, I think itā€™s unlikely it came from either him or my mom as that would be an absurdly fast incubation period. My mom is a physician and is tested twice a week- plus takes rapid tests before visiting him.

Ultimately I suppose the source doesnā€™t really matter. I donā€™t think someone would intentionally be around him if they knew they were infected. Iā€™m not looking for someone to blame.

The rather nonspecific treatment info I have been told he is on Remdesivir, IV antibiotics, a steroid, and a blood thinner.

Anyways, reportedly he is feeling better this morning. He ate this morning and apparently was joking with nurses, so thatā€™s a good sign.
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather ā€” I hope he continues to do well and will be able to leave hospital soon.

With omicron's transmissibility, meaningful contact tracing has become exceedingly difficult, if not impossible. Brief encounters that may not be recalled and wouldn't have been problematic with previous variants or the wild type virus now can cause infection. Earlier in the pandemic, I personally knew very few people who had COVID-19, but now I hear of a few more every day or two, and many of them have no idea where they caught it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My brother has it, he has two doses but didn't get the booster and is experiencing symptoms including moving deep into his lungs. I know it's a milder variant but I'm concerned because he has messed up lungs like I do. My sister is trying to convince him to get the monoclonal IV therapy but so far he's resisting. We'll see how it goes but it seems like there's little to lose with at least trying it.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
My brother has it, he has two doses but didn't get the booster and is experiencing symptoms including moving deep into his lungs. I know it's a milder variant but I'm concerned because he has messed up lungs like I do. My sister is trying to convince him to get the monoclonal IV therapy but so far he's resisting. We'll see how it goes but it seems like there's little to lose with at least trying it.
Iā€™ve heard itā€™s really important to start monoclonal treatment as soon as possible. The longer you wait the less helpful it will be.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope he passes it with out complications.

Iā€™ve wondered why COVID vaccines are short lived, this article from Fox Business (of all places) sounds reasonable. Is Fox business a non-political space at times? :unsure:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I think the majority of the right wing refusing vaccines are doing it for non-religious reasons- itā€™s like some hill to die on (quite literally) about personal freedom that makes little sense.

From what a lot of us have been reading lately, there are certain people who, once they are suckered in by disinformation, are congenitally incapable of admitting they are wrong even when presented with clear and obvious facts. ā€œMaking senseā€ is not important to them; ā€œprovingā€ that they are right is.

Itā€™s not unlike the (often true) stereotype of the husband who is driving but is lost. No amount of pleading from his family will convince him to stop and ask for directions. Heā€™s convinced that he knows where heā€™s going. And so he gets further and further lost.

I donā€™t know what the big effing deal is with this type of personality with just admitting that they were wrong, but itā€™s as if they equate it with something awful like being castrated.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Iā€™ve heard itā€™s really important to start monoclonal treatment as soon as possible. The longer you wait the less helpful it will be.
Yeah we're trying but in the end it will be his call. Statistically speaking though most are okay with two doses, just wish he would've gotten the booster.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
From what a lot of us have been reading lately, there are certain people who, once they are suckered in by disinformation, are congenitally incapable of admitting they are wrong even when presented with clear and obvious facts. ā€œMaking senseā€ is not important to them; ā€œprovingā€ that they are right is.

Itā€™s not unlike the (often true) stereotype of the husband who is driving but is lost. No amount of pleading from his family will convince him to stop and ask for directions. Heā€™s convinced that he knows where heā€™s going. And so he gets further and further lost.

I donā€™t know what the big effing deal is with this type of personality with just admitting that they were wrong, but itā€™s as if they equate it with something awful like being castrated.
This got me thinking about an article I read. It talks about this exact phenomenon.

(paywall removed)

Al-Gharbi sharply disputes this conclusion:

Most Republican voters likely donā€™t believe in the Big Lie. But many would nonetheless profess to believe it in polls and surveys, and would support politicians who make similar professions, because these professions serve as a sign of defiance against the prevailing elites, they serve as signs of group solidarity and commitment.
Poll respondents, he continued,

often give the factually wrong answer about empirical matters, not because they donā€™t know the empirically correct answer, but because they donā€™t want to give political fodder to their opponents with respect to their preferred policies. And when one takes down the temperature on these political stakes, again, often the differences on ā€˜the factsā€™ also disappear.
The article quotes other scholars who think voters DO believe the big lieā€¦ but Iā€™m more inclined to see the above as the actual situation. They know he didnā€™t win, but all they care about is sticking with the tribe and owning the libs. Itā€™s the same with COVID. They will go to their grave proclaiming they donā€™t believe it. But I saw an interview with a doctor and he said in private they 100% beg for the vaccine, but he has to tell them itā€™s too late.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This got me thinking about an article I read. It talks about this exact phenomenon.

(paywall removed)

The article quotes other scholars who think voters DO believe the big lieā€¦ but Iā€™m more inclined to see the above as the actual situation. They know he didnā€™t win, but all they care about is sticking with the tribe and owning the libs. Itā€™s the same with COVID. They will go to their grave proclaiming they donā€™t believe it. But I saw an interview with a doctor and he said in private they 100% beg for the vaccine, but he has to tell them itā€™s too late.
Some bail, but for others itā€™s if they think he can win wearing an R (when really he wears a POS), then the blinders are on even though he represents a dire threat to our democracy and constitution as rampaging, self serving, self destroying, CORRUPTION. This falls back onto some portion of our populace and if anything it gives you a new perspective about the makeup of some of those around you,

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah we're trying but in the end it will be his call. Statistically speaking though most are okay with two doses, just wish he would've gotten the booster.
There are only two monoclonals that have been shown to be effective against the omicron variant, and they are in short supply. Paxlovid also works well, but has to be given within 5 days of symptom onset. I hope your brother recovers quickly - even absent these therapies, most people still do well.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
We have a funeral a couple weeks back. Now 2 of the 5 people in this house are positive. One more almost certainly has it. He's been coughing for a week or two. He's also the only one living here who didn't take things super serious. I doubt he has all three shots. Everyone else is just like having a mild cold.

Regardless, I went and got a free test today. Turns out I'm still negative. Or am negative once again? I just know I've never felt sick, but I sleep next to one of the positive people and kiss her all the time. So it seems highly unlikely I've just been very lucky.

Top Bottom
1 2