The Trump Indictment Thread

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
cant do that. You cant try a person more than once.

You can if there is a hung jury. Double jeopardy only applies if there is an acquittal.

If there is a hung jury the prosecution will interview the jurors to see why they didn’t convict.

If there are only 1-3 who wouldn’t convict, they will probably retry the case. Otherwise they will decide whether or not to proceed based on if they think they can get a conviction the second time around.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Actually, in the Malheur Wildlife Refuge case, the jurors were having difficulty with one of their members and were able to consult with the judge and get that person replaced with an alternate. One juror may not be enough to hang the jury.

Really? Can a juror be replaced simply because he/she truly believes a defendant is not guilty while the other 11 voted guilty? That doesn't seem right.

Or was the juror replaced due to some kind of inappropriate behavior?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I realize I’m probably mostly just saying this because we’re talking about Trump on trial here, but in what other scenario do you need to have 100% of a group agree on something or absolutely nothing is going to happen? Especially when you have a lot of people who have an online PhD in contrarianism which I would say is more than 1 in 12 at this point in history.

Yoused

up
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Really? Can a juror be replaced simply because he/she truly believes a defendant is not guilty while the other 11 voted guilty? That doesn't seem right.

Or was the juror replaced due to some kind of inappropriate behavior?

It was not explained to us why it happened. I just remember that the jury asked to have a jury member replaced with an alternate. It seems unlikely that it was just because of the way they wanted to vote, but if the juror declared to the others that they had no intention of coöperating, or was being a jerk, I could see that. If a juror in this trial sat there wearing a magahat during deliberations, there might be a chance of them getting replaced. Alternates are there for a reason.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was not explained to us why it happened. I just remember that the jury asked to have a jury member replaced with an alternate. It seems unlikely that it was just because of the way they wanted to vote, but if the juror declared to the others that they had no intention of coöperating, or was being a jerk, I could see that. If a juror in this trial sat there wearing a magahat during deliberations, there might be a chance of them getting replaced. Alternates are there for a reason.
Refusing to deliberate will get you removed.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looks like trump is embracing a new lifestyle:

NYT: "Yet with less than six months until Election Day, Mr. Trump, who has long pushed messaging about “law and order,” is leaning into an outlaw image, surrounding himself with accused criminals and convicts."

Yoused

up
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Defense attorney Todd Blanche has finished his nearly-3-hour summation with a list of 10 points to show the weakness in the prosecution's case. I am sure the jury was enamored with his ability to put out word noises all morning long in a desperate plea to get his client off the hook, when all his main points fit into that short list. Hopefully the prosecution will take note of Blanche's excess and resort to a much more concise summation. I know I have a hard time listening to a SotU speech that is more than about 45 minutes long – this surely cannot be any better.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Defense attorney Todd Blanche has finished his nearly-3-hour summation with a list of 10 points to show the weakness in the prosecution's case. I am sure the jury was enamored with his ability to put out word noises all morning long in a desperate plea to get his client off the hook, when all his main points fit into that short list. Hopefully the prosecution will take note of Blanche's excess and resort to a much more concise summation. I know I have a hard time listening to a SotU speech that is more than about 45 minutes long – this surely cannot be any better.
Maybe a question for @Cmaier but does it benefit the prosecution to have the last word before it goes to the jury?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
She finally got off her ass to quickly address a request.

Judge Cannon rejects request for gag order against Donald Trump in classified docs case
CNN —
Federal Judge Aileen Cannon on Tuesday rejected special counsel Jack Smith’s request for a gag order against Donald Trump in the classified documents case, saying that prosecutors’ efforts to confer with the defendant was “wholly lacking in substance and professional courtesy.”

In a brief order, Cannon slammed prosecutors for not following the court’s rules by failing to meaningfully confer with Trump’s defense lawyers about a potential gag order before making the request.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe a question for @Cmaier but does it benefit the prosecution to have the last word before it goes to the jury?
yes!

I always want to go last, in everything from briefing to oral argument. You get to address everything the other side argued, and they don’t. And humans are predisposed to remember/belief the most recent thing they hear.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think the jury will be swayed by Trump's defense leaning so heavily on Cohen, when he wasn't really the main source of evidence - the documents were. Also, its who wasn't testifying that's just as important. I don't think Costello did the team any favors, I don't think the GOP showing up did any favors, I don't think Trump and his team pretending the very quick and lackluster sex never happened did them any favors.

She's swinging about 9-1 in favor of MAGA. Not a good look.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don't think the jury will be swayed by Trump's defense leaning so heavily on Cohen, when he wasn't really the main source of evidence - the documents were. Also, its who wasn't testifying that's just as important. I don't think Costello did the team any favors, I don't think the GOP showing up did any favors, I don't think Trump and his team pretending the very quick and lackluster sex never happened did them any favors.

She's swinging about 9-1 in favor of MAGA. Not a good look.
Some of the judges he's appointed have given the impression they're being objective, but this one is glaringly in his court. You have to wonder at what point they can deem her incompetent or biased.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And it still comes down to (if I were a juror) trump, supposedly a smart and successful business man, pay $130,000 to Stormy? Whether directly or through Cohen and then later reimbursing him.

What did he receive for that large payment? Who writes such a large check and expects nothing in return?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The prosecution in the Stormy hush money trial is still going on with his summation. TFG I am not on that jury. I can barely pay attention to a two hour movie, even a good one. Closing arguments have run 7 hours already.

The judge has told them to be done by 8pm.

So that's 3.5 hours for the defense followed by an hour lunch and then 6 more hours for the prosecution. Yes, glad I am not on that jury.

TV has made trials look way more interesting than they are. Last time I was on jury duty I got a federal drug case. I had never experienced what it takes to qualify an expert witness. She must have been on the stand for a couple hours going over her education, work history, trials she had testified in, yada, yada. Much longer than her actual testimony.

Top Bottom
1 2