The Trump Indictment Thread

Would it have been out of scope (for lack of a better phrase) for Judge Chutkan to tell trump that he's been warned, and one more violation will result in him being jailed when not attending his trial?

Probably. Judge’s seldom do that. It’s implied.

The first part of your post reminds me of Monty Python’s argument sketch:

Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

No it isn't.

It is.

Not at all.

If you continue into the next part of that sketch, it seems like it would be most rewarding, for him to get proper phrenotherapeutic treatment.

If republicans are going to be mad and dismantle democracy and justice for no other reason than their cult leader lost an election, I say go ahead and jail Trump before his trial if it’s warranted.

He’ll probably get a series of escalated warnings, and unless he does something extreme I doubt he’ll be immediately jailed. But, if he steps overboard again, make him show up in court and explain his behavior, then warn him again. Then, ban him from social media. If he tries to issue press releases or gives a rally where he breaks the rules, time for jail.

Trump is going to be able to see the evidence - he’s going to be able to see what Mark Meadows said in Grand Jury testimony, what secret service members say in text messages about him - and his instinct is going to be to trash them in public. Trump likes to break the rules, and he’ll probably just trash folks anyways and dare the judge to lock him up by “violating his first amendment right”, hoping to generate outrage among his base and the GOP, hoping everyone will be too intimidated to do anything. I don’t think this will work for him here - he’s not in the White House and this isn’t a political process, nor a civil case where there’s no practical consequences.

He’s really just one of those sovereign citizen creeps with a big microphone.

A Law Review article from two Federalist Society lawyers has come out saying Trump should be disqualified from running for office:
Right Wing Lawyers TURN AGAINST Trump and Make SHOCKING Request

"Michael Popok of Legal AF reports on a new case made by 2 leading right wing Federalist Society law professors that Trump participated in a Rebellion and Insurrection against the US and right now is disqualified under the 14th Amendment from ever holding office again, a position that will no doubt end up being cited by courts and judges up to the Supreme Court going forward as the DOJ and others seek to have Trump ruled disqualified."

A Law Review article from two Federalist Society lawyers has come out saying Trump should be disqualified from running for office:
Right Wing Lawyers TURN AGAINST Trump and Make SHOCKING Request

"Michael Popok of Legal AF reports on a new case made by 2 leading right wing Federalist Society law professors that Trump participated in a Rebellion and Insurrection against the US and right now is disqualified under the 14th Amendment from ever holding office again, a position that will no doubt end up being cited by courts and judges up to the Supreme Court going forward as the DOJ and others seek to have Trump ruled disqualified."

Beau of the Fifth Column talked about this one today. He brings up some good points. Spoiler alert, it's not really a helpful thing in this case and if it is used, it would open the door to be being misused by either side.

The GOP is doing just that with the impeachment process. Trump was impeached so they're talking about impeaching Biden.

Imagine if they spent all that time and effort actually doing something productive. At times it seems the job of a congress person or senator is to bring down the opposition. Even if it takes several years of digging and prying and snooping to just to find anything to justify that.

This won't be good for team Trump.

Exclusive: Georgia prosecutors have messages showing Trump’s team is behind voting system breach​

Atlanta-area prosecutors investigating efforts to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia are in possession of text messages and emails directly connecting members of Donald Trump’s legal team to the early January 2021 voting system breach in Coffee County, sources tell CNN.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis is expected to seek charges against more than a dozen individuals when her team presents its case before a grand jury next week. Several individuals involved in the voting systems breach in Coffee County are among those who may face charges in the sprawling criminal probe.

Investigators in the Georgia criminal probe have long suspected the breach was not an organic effort sprung from sympathetic Trump supporters in rural and heavily Republican Coffee County – a county Trump won by nearly 70% of the vote. They have gathered evidence indicating it was a top-down push by Trump’s team to access sensitive voting software, according to people familiar with the situation.

Exciting times ahead. I imagine the majority of the republican party, the Party of Law and Order, will just give it a big shrug with a "What's the big deal?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.

IMG_1725.jpg

Clearly not true. But does it violate her protective order? Maybe not.

Seems like he's testing where the line is. And personal disparaging is OK.
At some point you have to wonder if he'll get hit with contempt of court. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe a question for @Cmaier

He will probably get escalated warnings, but I believe he will get them, and I be kind there will be action behind those warnings. Congressional republicans’ loyalty to Trump is really going to get tested as Trump continues to lose what little was left of his mind.

There were reports floating around last week suggesting Trump will have his mugshot taken in Georgia, unlike his previous indictments. That’ll really set him off. I can see the scowl now.

He will probably get escalated warnings, but I believe he will get them, and I be kind there will be action behind those warnings.
Judge has already said what she’ll do - she’ll set a early trial date, so that he doesn’t have time to taint the jury pool. The more he barks, the earlier the trial date. Keep it up, you damned giant orange menace.

Judge has already said what she’ll do - she’ll set a early trial date, so that he doesn’t have time to taint the jury pool. The more he barks, the earlier the trial date. Keep it up, you damned giant orange menace.

I think that's a fantastic punishment as he needs to delay things, not speed them along. This is clearly his version of "I'm not touching you!"

I’m hoping that upon arraignment the Georgia court sticks him in the slammer, which would alleviate attacks on other courts and prosecutors. A bit of proper shock and awe might not go amiss at this stage. They’ve also been battening up the courthouse, and the prosecutor there has made it clear that he’ll be treated like any other citizen. I wonder what sort of precedent has been set by other RICO cases— I’d imagine most RICO cases also involve high profile individuals.

Addendum: If and when he’s jailed, I hope someone sets up a GoFundMe to send him reading material to pass the time. So many opportunities.

Last edited:
Back