Reaction score
1673980790329.png

Twitter is full of shit.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like Space Karen just got around to blocking Spring app, the app I had been using for the last few months instead of Tweetbot.

At 9pm on a saturday night. Good to know that he’s got his little monkeys working around the clock to screw up the user experience over there.

The good news is that nearly everyone I follow is over on mastodon now.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Twitter apparently changed its developer agreement to kill third party apps:
“Long-standing API rules”

This may be my ignorance, but what is the point of developing with Twitter’s API except to create a 3rd party client? What is the API for now? Which developers are to agree to the license?

Just why bother with an API/license at all I guess?

Again maybe there are uses I don’t know about for professional brands and advertising or whatever but 🤷‍♂️.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not super related to the API itself, but there's a bunch of *very* angry people in my timeline today because apparently tweets from Twitter Circles (which are supposedly private, and only visible to people you add to the circle) are not only visible but even recommended to users outside the circle (in the "For You" tab).

This would be a crisis in any other company but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not super related to the API itself, but there's a bunch of *very* angry people in my timeline today because apparently tweets from Twitter Circles (which are supposedly private, and only visible to people you add to the circle) are not only visible but even recommended to users outside the circle (in the "For You" tab).

This would be a crisis in any other company but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you are still using Twitter at this point, you can’t have had any expectation of privacy, right? I mean, Elon may decide to give your data, DMs, location info, whatever, to anyone he feels like if doing so helps support his weirdo worldview.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
If you are still using Twitter at this point, you can’t have had any expectation of privacy, right? I mean, Elon may decide to give your data, DMs, location info, whatever, to anyone he feels like if doing so helps support his weirdo worldview.
I think there s no question that he would/is use your personal data against you in some way if he felt you crossed him somehow.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think there s no question that he would/is use your personal data against you in some way if he felt you crossed him somehow.
You're not wrong, but IMHO there's a long way from the existential threat of Musk somehow giving access to your data to some rando (relatively low probability, unless you're high profile or happened to mention Musk) and the very real threat of Twitter broadcasting your private posts and images to random people as recommendations. That can get much, much more dangerous than garden-variety privacy violations.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

Twitter was already in trouble for privacy violations and apparently the FCC and European regulators are already investigating him. Whether it amounts to anything is unknown of course.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Twitter was already in trouble for privacy violations and apparently the FCC and European regulators are already investigating him. Whether it amounts to anything is unknown of course.
Meanwhile Musk’s other company, tesla, has employees passing around videos of what your car’s cameras see in your garage. Don’t trust his companies to maintain your privacy. Makes you wonder what he does with data passing through starlink.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I haven’t been able to verify the source (as Twitter hasn’t worked for me since early morning precisely because of this), but if true Musk has imposed ridiculous rules around how much can you use Twitter, with the official app.

IMG_2816.jpeg

If this is made into a permanent measure, Twitter is sooooo dead. 600 tweets a day is like half an hour of scrolling through Twitter. I ran into the “Rate limit exceeded” while drinking my morning coffee! 😂

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been able to verify the source (as Twitter hasn’t worked for me since early morning precisely because of this), but if true Musk has imposed ridiculous rules around how much can you use Twitter, with the official app.

View attachment 24637

If this is made into a permanent measure, Twitter is sooooo dead. 600 tweets a day is like half an hour of scrolling through Twitter. I ran into the “Rate limit exceeded” while drinking my morning coffee! 😂
It’s real. Also only accounts can view tweets now.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
It’s real. Also only accounts can view tweets now.
Word is removing the API increased the number of people scraping Twitter through the website instead (which is obviously more costly for Twitter than the API ever was).

In any case, Musk‘s solution is basically to shut down the platform. The servers may be technically up, but for the vast majority of active users, Twitter is down... by design. No social media platform can survive that long term.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Looks like a bug in twitter’s web app may be to blame for the “extreme scraping.”

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Btw I should point out these issues seem to be limited to the app. I use the website through the browser and it’s fine.

Top Bottom
1 2