USA Election 2024

I am angry, as this should have been addressed two years ago. Instead… the US and democracy are now in peril.
Me too, but you’re not addressing the point of my post. Don’t care if he’s banned or anything else, but he’s not here to discuss things in good faith.

Me too, but you’re not addressing the point of my post. Don’t care if he’s banned or anything else, but he’s not here to discuss things in good faith.
Right, and regardless of who it is, it's very much like watching a Fox News reporter who is suddenly outraged at Democrats that they've always hated. Yes, very disingenuous and insulting. Doing it on Fox News is just another day but doing it where they've always backed Biden is trolling.

We'll have to disagree on that. He's "sticking to his guns (no pun intended)," which is fine with me, being similar to many here with opposite views.

As an aside... I'm always open to hearing and considering others' opinions/positions/views, even if I strongly disagree with them, and in the process learn something new, or a side I hadn't considered. Guess that's why I love occasionally hitting up strangers on the street for a bit of conversation.

Can't say I've learned much from someone telling me something I already know.

Not sure if tonight's interview is going to help much, there's a groundswell moving against him and it already feels like it's too late in the game but his refusal to leave smacks of Feinstein, RBG and Mitch McConnell... they just want to ride it out until they die in office.

Disney heiress, wealthy Democratic donors say they won’t finance the party until Joe Biden drops out

What they don't realize is they'd earn a huge ton of respect and a positive legacy by gracefully bowing out.

Would characterizing that (staying in the race with the US and democracy at stake) as hubris, be correct? Can't say that I've ever used that word before.

I am angry, as this should have been addressed two years ago. Instead… the US and democracy are now in peril.

I'm still of the opinion that this is something we have to see the worst of before we can even hope for things to get better.

For all the screaming alarms, all the obvious, not so subtle hints, that there are people out there who are saying "yeah, but it's not really THAT bad," goes to show that, as a country, we need a massive reality check.

We've taken our stability for granted for far too long, and now here we are.

Not sure if tonight's interview is going to help much, there's a groundswell moving against him and it already feels like it's too late in the game but his refusal to leave smacks of Feinstein, RBG and Mitch McConnell... they just want to ride it out until they die in office.

Disney heiress, wealthy Democratic donors say they won’t finance the party until Joe Biden drops out

The snails pace is either concerning or insulting. It seems like he’s been busy reassuring everybody except the American people, an almost elites first policy. For all Trump’s faults and evils, if he were in a similar situation he’d be all over social media ten minutes after the debate and continuously posting on how he is completely fit for the job.

It seems like it's too late to make a change, but as you posted that in the UK they have 2 months of campaigning tops, if that were the case here nobody would be allowed to campaign until mid September.

I don't think any of us knows for certain what's going on behind the scenes in the White House, the Democratic Party, or the wealthy donor community, despite snippets in the press. It's no surprise that Biden and everyone around him are continuing to say he's sticking it out. But the window for replacing him at the top of the ticket is closing, and Biden hasn't done nearly enough to calm the disturbance in The Force. The interview with George Stephanopoulos tonight may help, but I suspect it'll be viewed as a staged event under circumstances far better for Biden than the debate. I'm not sure even a cognitive test supervised by a respected physician would move the needle much now.

What's infuriating is that Trump is no better, and possibly worse than Biden cognitively. Even if you set aside his myriad other failings, Trump shouldn't be running. That's what irritates me most about Herdfan. I don't think of him as a MAGA in the sense that I don't believe he takes all Trump's lies as gospel. Rather, it's his insistence on not calling out Trump as being far more unfit to serve than Biden that I find horrific. But here we are. In a binary choice between Biden and Trump, there's only one who won't drag the country over a precipice I don't think any of us could have foreseen a decade ago.

I don't think any of us knows for certain what's going on behind the scenes in the White House, the Democratic Party, or the wealthy donor community, despite snippets in the press. It's no surprise that Biden and everyone around him are continuing to say he's sticking it out. But the window for replacing him at the top of the ticket is closing, and Biden hasn't done nearly enough to calm the disturbance in The Force. The interview with George Stephanopoulos tonight may help, but I suspect it'll be viewed as a staged event under circumstances far better for Biden than the debate. I'm not sure even a cognitive test supervised by a respected physician would move the needle much now.

What's infuriating is that Trump is no better, and possibly worse than Biden cognitively. Even if you set aside his myriad other failings, Trump shouldn't be running. That's what irritates me most about Herdfan. I don't think of him as a MAGA in the sense that I don't believe he takes all Trump's lies as gospel. Rather, it's his insistence on not calling out Trump as being far more unfit to serve than Biden that I find horrific. But here we are. In a binary choice between Biden and Trump, there's only one who won't drag the country over a precipice I don't think any of us could have foreseen a decade ago.
I think the biggest takeaway is that Trump is held to a different standard, I mean could you imagine either party supporting Obama with all the sexual assaults, felony indictments/convictions? They would literally be calling for him to be hanged.

Yes, "here we are" seems to be the only way to really describe it. Biden is held to what's considered a normal standard and Trump is a walking dumpster fire yet both are seen as being on an equal playing field. You can't make this stuff up.

I think the biggest takeaway is that Trump is held to a different standard, I mean could you imagine either party supporting Obama with all the sexual assaults, felony indictments/convictions? They would literally be calling for him to be hanged.

Yes, "here we are" seems to be the only way to really describe it. Biden is held to what's considered a normal standard and Trump is a walking dumpster fire yet both are seen as being on an equal playing field. You can't make this stuff up.
For sure. Those of us old enough to remember how Gary Hart's bid was ended because of his affairs (the story was worse than we thought at the time according to this article) know Trump should have been kicked to the curb by the Republicans long ago. Instead, they got to the point where literally nothing is disqualifying. I was speaking to a friend in Europe recently and he couldn't believe the situation we've gotten ourselves into in this country.

Not sure if this the right place. Apologies if not. But wow. Have we really come to this?

North Carolina Lt. Gov Mark Robinson — a Trump-endorsed Republican — embraces political violence:"Some folks need killing. It's time for somebody to say it. It's not a matter of vengeance. It's not a matter of being mean or spiteful. It's a matter of necessity."

Not sure if this the right place. Apologies if not. But wow. Have we really come to this?

North Carolina Lt. Gov Mark Robinson — a Trump-endorsed Republican — embraces political violence:"Some folks need killing. It's time for somebody to say it. It's not a matter of vengeance. It's not a matter of being mean or spiteful. It's a matter of necessity."

Yeah, this guy is the worst, and he's running for governor, not some minor position. I don't know where he stands in the polls, but the fact that someone like him can become a nominee speaks volumes about the state of the Republican party.

Today's Washington Post:

"Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.) is attempting to assemble a group of Democratic senators to ask President Biden to exit the presidential race, according to two people with direct knowledge of the effort.
Warner is telling Democratic senators that Biden can no longer remain in the election in the wake of his faltering debate performance, according to the people familiar with private conversations who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak freely. Warner has told others that he is deeply concerned that Biden is not able to run a campaign that could beat former president Donald Trump."

Just saw a snippet from today's ABC interview and IMO he still looks really bad, this will likely just reaffirm those calling for him to step aside. The reality is he simply does not look like a man who can perform the job for 4 years, in fact I think it's fair to question his ability now. It's a sad way to go out.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 6.58.47 PM.png

Just saw a snippet from today's ABC interview and IMO he still looks really bad, this will likely just reaffirm those calling for him to step aside. The reality is he simply does not look like a man who can perform the job for 4 years, in fact I think it's fair to question his ability now. It's a sad way to go out.
I watched the interview. It was about what I thought we’d see: Biden was better than in the debate, but didn’t seem like someone who could forcefully refute Trump’s lies one-on-one. (His performance at an event in Wisconsin today was apparently strong.)

I think it’s a mistake for him to just tout his record, which is excellent, or talk about how disastrous a second Trump term would be, which should be obvious. He needs to convince people that he can get to the finish line in the campaign and then do the job if elected.

There’s also a point nobody seems to talk about. I’d prefer if Biden could finish his career with a strong second term and then pass the torch, but If he wins, what would happen if he stepped aside in his first year, having staved off another Trump presidency?

There’s also a point nobody seems to talk about. I’d prefer if Biden could finish his career with a strong second term and then pass the torch, but If he wins, what would happen if he stepped aside in his first year, having staved off another Trump presidency?

Harris would then become President, right?

Back