USA Election 2024

Biden is the candidate. JD Vance was a horrible choice for VP and I wouldn’t be counting on a huge mix-up yet. Dems should tread carefully. There’s people who want Biden out, there’s people like me who want him in. So what to do?
I wanted him to step down also but have accepted he's likely in it until the end, whatever happens happens, it would be ideal if dems got behind it as well.

After each meeting privately with Biden, Shumer and Jeffries have asked DNC officials to delay the nomination vote.

Biden has COVID again, taking Paxlovid.

Surprised it took this long for him to get it again. The country is experiencing a surge, albeit not nearly as bad as 2-3 years ago. Uptake of the most recent vaccines is low, and it’ll probably also be so for the new formulations. And masking is almost nonexistent.

Vance is a very polished speaker. No doubt 2028 is on his mind.

And although he's full of shit, he is pretty engaging speaking. Unlike listening to Guilfoyle earlier who was annoying as F.

I refuse to watch a minute of that convention, while I'm sure they're celebrating taking away women's rights and their love affair with the SCOTUS and their felon leader I would rather slip some bamboo under my fingernails. Can't turn on the news without it sucking the oxygen from everything so I've been enjoying cable shows and movies instead.

Pelosi is apparently now joining the chorus.

I can't say I enjoyed watching tonight's R convention. But found it interesting and worthwhile getting insight into what Biden is facing. No doubt every Dem Senate and House member was watching to see what their Party is up against. Especially with Vance making his appearance. And that some Dem Senate/House members are complaining donations have significantly fallen off due to Biden's obstinance.

With the mounting pressure, and especially seeing how Vance will significantly increase trump's election numbers, I wouldn't be shocked if Biden decides to not run within the next five days.

Also... If I was an R, and after watching Vance tonight, I'd be asking why are we fooling around with trump and his baggage? Vance will definitely be a force in 2028.

Pelosi is apparently now joining the chorus.

I can't say I enjoyed watching tonight's R convention. But found it interesting and worthwhile getting insight into what Biden is facing. No doubt every Dem Senate and House member was watching to see what their Party is up against. Especially with Vance making his appearance. And that some Dem Senate/House members are complaining donations have significantly fallen off due to Biden's obstinance.

With the mounting pressure, and especially seeing how Vance will significantly increase trump's election numbers, I wouldn't be shocked if Biden decides to not run within the next five days.

Also... If I was an R, and after watching Vance tonight, I'd be asking why are we fooling around with trump and his baggage? Vance will definitely be a force in 2028.
If Trump wins, Democrats will have themselves to blame. (I'd say ourselves, since I'm a Democrat, but I have virtually no influence over what happens.) The ongoing melee in the public eye just reinforces opinions that the party is incompetent, and for many people, that translates to an inability to govern. Also, if high-ranking Democrats say Biden should leave the race, people on the fence ask why they should support him. It's especially bad compared to the Republicans all uniting around Trump, as vile as he and they are.

I think Biden would be capable of handling the presidency for a year or two if he were re-elected, but I no longer have much confidence he can defeat Trump, which is the most important task. He should have announced a year or so ago that he'd remain as president but wouldn't run again, opening the door for Harris and others. Biden can still step aside, but I'm afraid his well-meaning intent to finish what he started will prevent him from doing that.

If Trump wins, Democrats will have themselves to blame. (I'd say ourselves, since I'm a Democrat, but I have virtually no influence over what happens.) The ongoing melee in the public eye just reinforces opinions that the party is incompetent, and for many people, that translates to an inability to govern. Also, if high-ranking Democrats say Biden should leave the race, people on the fence ask why they should support him. It's especially bad compared to the Republicans all uniting around Trump, as vile as he and they are.

I think Biden would be capable of handling the presidency for a year or two if he were re-elected, but I no longer have much confidence he can defeat Trump, which is the most important task. He should have announced a year or so ago that he'd remain as president but wouldn't run again, opening the door for Harris and others. Biden can still step aside, but I'm afraid his well-meaning intent to finish what he started will prevent him from doing that.

I truly feel sorry for Biden as I suspect it's a very frustrating experience for him. Especially now that he's facing a ton of pressure from his own party, and with the Rs seemingly having their act together and poised to win in November.

What I find frustrating is this could have been avoided. Two years ago I started noticing Biden's decline. I'm certain I wasn't the only one, and was hoping the Dems would put together a contingency Plan B. Something, where if needed, Biden could gracefully bow out and become a senior foreign policy (his strength) advisor for whoever would step up in his place to take trump on. Could have been Newsom, Buttigieg, Booker, Abrams, Howard Stern (kidding), etc. Even Liz Cheney (she was awesome in the Jan 6th investigation) if she would switch parties. :) Someone who could make mince meat out of trump.

Today, Biden's decline appears to be accelerating by the week. And now we're stuck with a likely defeat, four years of dread, and Vance super primed for 2028. Pisses me off. :(

I truly feel sorry for Biden as I suspect it's a very frustrating experience for him. Especially now that he's facing a ton of pressure from his own party, and with the Rs seemingly having their act together and poised to win in November.

What I find frustrating is this could have been avoided. Two years ago I started noticing Biden's decline. I'm certain I wasn't the only one, and was hoping the Dems would put together a contingency Plan B. Something, where if needed, Biden could gracefully bow out and become a senior foreign policy (his strength) advisor for whoever would step up in his place to take trump on. Could have been Newsom, Buttigieg, Booker, Abrams, Howard Stern (kidding), etc. Even Liz Cheney (she was awesome in the Jan 6th investigation) if she would switch parties. :) Someone who could make mince meat out of trump.

Today, Biden's decline appears to be accelerating by the week. And now we're stuck with a likely defeat, four years of dread, and Vance super primed for 2028. Pisses me off. :(
If by bowing out you mean Biden should have resigned as president, I don't agree. Getting significant legislation passed required Biden to remain in office — nobody else could have done it. But if Plan B refers to Biden finishing out his term but declining to run again with sufficient advance notice to allow others, including Harris, to compete for the spot, yes. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

Nobody can predict the future, and I'm hoping the electorate comes to understand what's at stake and does the right thing, but I am increasingly concerned that voters on the fence will view voting for Biden as a lost cause and will sit this one out.

EDITED to correct typo or autocorrect.

Last edited:
If by bowing out you mean Biden shroud have resigned as president, I don't agree. Getting significant legislation passed required Biden to remain in office — nobody else could have done it. But if Plan B refers to Biden finishing out his term but declining to run again with sufficient advance notice to allow others, including Harris, to compete for the spot, yes. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

Nobody can predict the future, and I'm hoping the electorate comes to understand what's at stake and does the right thing, but I am increasingly concerned that voters on the fence will view voting for Biden as a lost cause and will sit this one out.

I would have invoked Plan B 3-6 months before the Dem convention, with the understanding Biden would not run again. In other words, he stays in until January, assuming he’s capable.

Personally, I believe if Biden steps aside, that’s it - four more years of Trump, then 8 years of Vance.

Democrats seem to be hard at work campaigning for Trump. This is truly bizarre. Oh well. My vote will not go to Trump, but I’m done. Less than four months out and we’re being told our candidate is shit while the other side has a cartoon grifter rapist criminal authoritarian.

I may do a write-in for the first time.

Personally, I believe if Biden steps aside, that’s it - four more years of Trump, then 8 years of Vance.

Democrats seem to be hard at work campaigning for Trump. This is truly bizarre. Oh well. My vote will not go to Trump, but I’m done. Less than four months out and we’re being told our candidate is shit while the other side has a cartoon grifter rapist criminal authoritarian.

I may do a write-in for the first time.
Historically speaking this has never worked out when a nominee has dropped. Granted, neither have we ever had a candidate as corrupt as Trump so you never know. 🤷‍♂️

Historically speaking this has never worked out when a nominee has dropped. Granted, neither have we ever had a candidate as corrupt as Trump so you never know. 🤷‍♂️
This election cycle is so odd, even compared to 2016 and 2020, that I don't think we can tell what would happen if Biden dropped out now. But the whole thing is a hot mess that is putting the country (and the world) at high risk.

Back