USA Election 2024

It's because X/Twitter was already so pervasive and has millions of subscribers. Despite its toxicity, companies, politicians, organizations, and others are afraid they'll lose more by leaving than by staying. It's a lot easier for individuals who don't have a brand or constituency to support, as I did, to leave. Although I don't mind having quit Twitter, I haven't found a replacement with a fraction of its scope. Even here, where I think most of us recognize how bad X has become under Musk, there are many posts that link back to X.

I think Twitter’s reach and influence is an illusion, specifically that most people know what is said on Twitter through reposts on sites that aren’t Twitter. In that regard, a lot of us are also responsible for perpetuating its existence. I’d argue if Twitter had some kind of copyright offsite repost police similar to the music industry the business would close down within a year.

Vance has had to spend time, even on Fox News, backpedaling his goofy comments about childless women.

Trump could have said the exact same thing repeatedly and nobody would bat an eye, an ongoing peculiarity of the Rs.
Yeah, his apology consists of have sympathy and pray for women without children. How sexist can you get? 😡

While calling Republican politicians weird might be a good strategy, the left wing to center media talking about its usage isn’t. I highly doubt right wing media posted articles titled “The effective brilliance of ‘libtard’”. It changes from something that might seem organic to something that is calculated manipulation and meaningless.

Don't bother to vote, I don't need your vote

is an odd kind of campaign message

I believe I understand what Maddow is suggesting - that trump is saying there's no need for trump supporters to vote in November.

If that interpretation is correct that would suggest there's infrastructure (for lack of a better word) in place now to confidently believe that certification processes in multiple states will be interfered with to throw the election to trump in November should he not win with ballots marked trump.

If indeed true, that's quite a leap (beyond trump calling Raffensperger after the election to find him some extra votes) in election skullduggery.

Right?

I believe I understand what Maddow is suggesting - that trump is saying there's no need for trump supporters to vote in November.

If that interpretation is correct that would suggest there's infrastructure (for lack of a better word) in place now to confidently believe that certification processes in multiple states will be interfered with to throw the election to trump in November should he not win with ballots marked trump.

If indeed true, that's quite a leap (beyond trump calling Raffensperger after the election to find him some extra votes) in election skullduggery.

Right?

I’d add that Democrats have a recent record of folding on election disputes, on Gore vs Bush and Clinton vs Trump. Yes, they made a stink, but nowhere near the level and length of Trump. Toss in that if Democrats even suggest an investigation you’re going to get a loud “Oh, now you care about election integrity!!” from Republicans.

It at least means that Individual-ONE believes that to be the case. Which is no guarantee that it really is the case. In 2019, a dark org assembled to address election integrity. They had no partisan agenda, they just wanted to insure that the election went off cleanly.

It looks like the RW has made some efforts toward curbing election integrity. And who knows, they might succeed. But while one should be skeptical, given that the RW has shown an impressive ability to fail (cf., the ACA repeal), the time to lack vigilance is not now.

Right?
Yes, that's right. Here's a legal analysis of how this would or would not work in practice. A link in the article will get you to the original document, which I'm in the process of reading. It's 48 pages long, but contains 327 legal references that take up a lot of space:

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-w...t-overcome-election-certification-protections

This is only one source, so I'd like to hear what experienced election attorneys like Marc Elias say.

I’d add that Democrats have a recent record of folding on election disputes, on Gore vs Bush and Clinton vs Trump. Yes, they made a stink, but nowhere near the level and length of Trump. Toss in that if Democrats even suggest an investigation you’re going to get a loud “Oh, now you care about election integrity!!” from Republicans.
The difference is this would be a blatant criminal conspiracy if true. And for all we know there is an investigation if such a thing is occurring. If the Trump campaign is indeed organizing another attempted legislative coup, then I would certainly hope so - though my faith in the ability of the DOJ and FBI are somewhat shaken given their track record so far. They appear to move at a glacial pace and, especially given Comey's last minute interference, might hold to the precedent of not saying anything until it is too late.

They can try, but they won’t succeed in stealing an election this time around. The danger is if he gets into office and starts dismantling things.

Trump is trying to distance himself from Project 2025, even though the damn thing reads like a semi-intellectual interpretation of Trump’s brain droppings and public musings. Plus, JD Vance, once he decided he could gain some cash and power by tapping into the low-IQ redneck cult, has pretty much endorsed it as well. Court cases, gaslighting by congressional republicans, threats of violence, etc… it’s all coming and we can see it a mile away.

So I’m sure they have court cases lined up, Trump could lose in a blowout (he kinda did in 2020 even though some battlegrounds were close), and he will just say it’s stolen - again, and his followers will start their usual garbage again.

I don’t think there’s enough corrupt people in government just yet to help him realize the end goal of stealing an election, but there will be if he wins again. And folks seem willing to help that happen. The best thing you’ll hear a Trump supporter say is “I don’t think he’ll succeed in overturning democracy or stealing an election”, but that’s kind of an admission that you know he’s trying and are willing to vote for him anyway, smh. 🤦

The difference is this would be a blatant criminal conspiracy if true. And for all we know there is an investigation if such a thing is occurring. If the Trump campaign is indeed organizing another attempted legislative coup, then I would certainly hope so - though my faith in the ability of the DOJ and FBI are somewhat shaken given their track record so far. They appear to move at a glacial pace and, especially given Comey's last minute interference, might hold to the precedent of not saying anything until it is too late.

I’ve said before that since Republicans are the world’s biggest accusation confessors the reason they can’t believe Trump lost is because they felt they rigged to the point that he couldn’t possibly lose.

They can try, but they won’t succeed in stealing an election this time around. The danger is if he gets into office and starts dismantling things.

Trump is trying to distance himself from Project 2025, even though the damn thing reads like a semi-intellectual interpretation of Trump’s brain droppings and public musings. Plus, JD Vance, once he decided he could gain some cash and power by tapping into the low-IQ redneck cult, has pretty much endorsed it as well. Court cases, gaslighting by congressional republicans, threats of violence, etc… it’s all coming and we can see it a mile away.

So I’m sure they have court cases lined up, Trump could lose in a blowout (he kinda did in 2020 even though some battlegrounds were close), and he will just say it’s stolen - again, and his followers will start their usual garbage again.

I don’t think there’s enough corrupt people in government just yet to help him realize the end goal of stealing an election, but there will be if he wins again. And folks seem willing to help that happen. The best thing you’ll hear a Trump supporter say is “I don’t think he’ll succeed in overturning democracy or stealing an election”, but that’s kind of an admission that you know he’s trying and are willing to vote for him anyway, smh. 🤦
I'd like to believe this is true, but they've got a lot more people in key positions at the local level lined up and the House Republicans have been reliably craven enough to go along with his shit. Thankfully this time he isn't sitting in the White House, so that's a better change over 2020, but he could still try to foment a constitutional crisis by having states controlled by R's refusing to certify and then get the Republican House to vote him into power. And that's if he loses. He may win.

Alrighty then.

It won't do SHEE-IT!

If all the thousands of other stupid things Trump has said over the years hasn't sunk him, I doubt him calling someone a horrible jew will do much damage to him now.

I'd like to believe this is true, but they've got a lot more people in key positions at the local level lined up and the House Republicans have been reliably craven enough to go along with his shit. Thankfully this time he isn't sitting in the White House, so that's a better change over 2020, but he could still try to foment a constitutional crisis by having states controlled by R's refusing to certify and then get the Republican House to vote him into power. And that's if he loses. He may win.

Oh, it will be ugly, and there’s no doubt goons everywhere ready and willing to stir up a lot of unnecessary crap to defend their mental midget cult leader, but I just think the guardrails will hold a tad longer. We have democrat governors and AGs, we have that handy old presidential immunity thanks to the Supreme Court - and as long as Biden finishes his term…. Kamala Harris will have to certify the results.

I put nothing past these goons. But I do think this election, the correct results will stand. We also have a lot of great journalists doing a lot of great work, and let’s face it, not every republican is stupid, and not all of them are diehard MAGA (even if only 10% are sane, that’s a lot).

If Trump wins - and I don’t think he will - republicans will be on board. But if he loses, I do think there are enough congressional republicans who will call for a new party leader, or a search for one, even if said leader is as bad as Trump. We’ll have to cross that bridge when we get there, but that’s my train of thought, even if I’m wrong.

A repeat of J6 is so lame it’s hard to envision it happening again, I’m thinking we’ll see more court cases that will fail, more online threats and stupid conspiracies.

Back