USA Election 2024

Biden could have done a lot better last night. But this isn't the end of the race. He stumbled badly last night. But there's still lots of time left for things to change. I don't understand the doom and gloom.

He isn’t going to get less old.

Biden could have done a lot better last night. But this isn't the end of the race. He stumbled badly last night. But there's still lots of time left for things to change. I don't understand the doom and gloom.
I’m gloomy because we can’t fuck around with Trump, we don’t have a comfortable lead. This was a moment Biden had to perform, and he failed. I’ll vote for him over Trump of course but we do have an opportunity to replace him now.

Keep in mind, if Biden is replaced, democrats will immediately tell republicans to do the same. Republicans would never consider it, but it would create a different narrative - “our guy stepped down to do what is right, and Trump should too.”

I don’t think Biden is going anywhere. This thing is either going to balloon or be old news in a few weeks. Just like SOTU is old news.

Replace him. I’ll take DeSantis over Trump any day and twice on Tuesday.

My question is that those inside the WH and campaign had to know this was going to happen. They see him everyday so they knew.

So why did they not only agree to the debate, but agree to do it so early. Was this a deliberate attempt to force him out?

I don’t think Biden is going anywhere.

It certainly won't be pretty.

I figure over last night's 90 minute debate, there'll be around 20 or so one minute video clips of Biden looking strange/out-of-it with mouth hanging open and speaking/mumbling something in broken English. All worthy of being harvested into a dozen or two one-minute attack ads for the republicans.

Lee Atwater never had it that easy.

It certainly won't be pretty.

I figure over last night's 90 minute debate, there'll be around 20 or so one minute video clips of Biden looking strange/out-of-it with mouth hanging open and speaking/mumbling something in broken English. All worthy of going into a dozen or two one-minute attack ads for the republicans.

Lee Atwater never had that easy.

Yeah, and it’s made worse by the fact Trump answered no questions and Biden either didn’t or was unable to really hammer him.

In fact, Trump didn’t really hammer Biden that hard either, we didn’t hear anything new and Trump spent most of his time on the border.

I wonder if the rules did take these two out of their element - I thought the rules sounded great, but they arguably backfired on Biden and helped Trump. First time I’ve seen Trump stay in a lane.

Yeah, and it’s made worse by the fact Trump answered no questions and Biden either didn’t or was unable to really hammer him.

In fact, Trump didn’t really hammer Biden that hard either, we didn’t hear anything new and Trump spent most of his time on the border.

I wonder if the rules did take these two out of their element - I thought the rules sounded great, but they arguably backfired on Biden and helped Trump. First time I’ve seen Trump stay in a lane.

As much as I hate to admit it, and neglecting all of his lies, trump came off looking pretty good. Especially in split screen while Biden was fumbling.

My question is that those inside the WH and campaign had to know this was going to happen. They see him everyday so they knew.

So why did they not only agree to the debate, but agree to do it so early. Was this a deliberate attempt to force him out?
I'm sure they spotted and like said "oh man" to themselves several times but what are they going to do? Same can be said for a Trump attorney every time he opens his mouth. These are the nominees and all they can do is their best to try to prep them, at the end of the day they're still either old or a criminal... have fun getting the vote out with these two.

If only we could've seen this Joe on the stage last night.

“I don’t walk as easily as I used to. I don’t speak as smoothly as I used to. I don’t debate as well as I used to, but I know what I do know. I know how to tell the truth. I know right from wrong. I know how to do this job.”

If only we could've seen this Joe on the stage last night.

“I don’t walk as easily as I used to. I don’t speak as smoothly as I used to. I don’t debate as well as I used to, but I know what I do know. I know how to tell the truth. I know right from wrong. I know how to do this job.”

Literally had that exact paragraph on my clipboard ready to paste. Of all the questions he fumbled last night, directly addressing concerns about his age was the one I thought was the biggest missed opportunity,

That was the answer he should have given last night.

I think his advisors took an early debate because they figured it would give Biden a boost before the convention and would allay concerns about his age on a national stage. As well, it's possible they decided that if Biden performed poorly, as Obama did in 2012, there'd be time to recover. Unfortunately, Obama was/is a strong orator and communicator who had a really bad night, but Biden was hampered by his age.​

He isn’t going to get less old.

I would hope so. Having some weird time-traveling president might be a step too far even for me.

Still, you seem to assume that last night was a true portrayal of his current state. I'm also assuming, but I'm assuming he had an off night. I can't say you're wrong any more than I can say I'm right. I'm just not calling the race while there's still miles to go. At this point it's still anyone's race.

In fairness to you, I'll throw you a bone. That was a shocking performance last night and bothersome to be sure.

The voters knew his age, just like many republicans are lying to voters across the country by knowing exactly how dangerous Trump is. It’s not Trump’s job to stop himself, and if democrats didn’t want Biden, the time for that was in 2020 and again last year or before the primaries this year, not four months out from the election.

I really like what David Frum said today….

This most recent debate has taught the danger of spectatorship. The job of saving democracy from Trump will be done not by an old man on a gaudy stage, but by those who care that their democracy be saved. Biden’s evident frailties have aggravated that job and made it more difficult, but they have also clarified whose job it is. Not his. Yours.

Still, you seem to assume that last night was a true portrayal of his current state.

I do because I have been seeing clips of similar behavior for months. KJP wants to call them AI fakes, but last night was not AI. And it wasn't fake.

You may want to say he had a bad night. I would say it was exactly what I expected.

I mean, aside from his look and mannerisms, how in the cornbread hell do you say no soldiers have died on your watch when 13 were killed in your Afghanistan pullout? How can you say the rank and file border patrol supports you when the Border Patrol union tweeted they didn't before you finished your allotted time? I won't call them lies because I think he believes them to be true. These gaffes if you want to call them that, are way more concerning than him just looking/behaving old. He is lucky Trump didn't call him out immediately on the 13 killed in Afghanistan. "What do you mean no soldiers died on your watch? I guess you were too busy checking your watch to remember their bodies coming home."

The other issue he has is that he seems to have lost a good portion of the media.

Last edited:
Back