USA Election 2024

They have nothing. Explain this to the American public and I doubt even most MAGAts would care.

His campaign is using Beyoncé’s “Freedom”, which is Harris’ theme. The campaign is notorious for using people’s music where the artist gets pissed.

Methinks Steven Cheung is a horrible spokesperson, with the one word nonsensical responses like “Kamabla” and “Freedom”.

The DNC Rollcall. FREAKING Amazing! It does not look like Twitter media registers here.🤔

Such bullshit. It is getting tiresome.

Now Couchfucker is all het up about the fact that Tim Walz lied about having children through IVF. Fact is, Tim misstated the procedure, which was actually IUI (intra-uterine insemination). But nobody has heard of IUI, and it is hard to utter, so Tim said IVF, being a man and not really versed in these complexities.
A while back, I stumbled across some social media post where women were listing the stupidest things or misunderstandings a male S.O. has said about the the female anatomy.

I can say that as a man, I am not ashamed to admit that I still do not completely understand everything around that subject. So I can completely relate and understand not knowing the difference between IVF and IUI.

I can say that as a man, I am not ashamed to admit that I still do not completely understand everything around that subject. So I can completely relate and understand not knowing the difference between IVF and IUI.

I think it’s also fair to point out that colloquial use of a language is not nearly as precise as experts in their field use it. Especially when you get into initialisms. Much like Kleenex and Band-aid can become the default name for a tissue and self-adhesive bandage, IVF has become synonymous with "medically assisted reproduction". Simply put, not everyone is familiar with the ins and outs, and it makes sense to adjust your language use for the audience.

My personal ‘nails on chalkboard’ issue is the whole difference between the formal use of theory, and the colloquial use of it. It is one of the reasons you get such miscommunication between science work and the reporting of it, and makes science communication harder than it needs to be. But it is also true that you have about a snowball’s chance in hell of changing the colloquial meaning of the word.

Edit: Our education in general basically skims over certain anatomy, because ew. I’ve seen a surprising number of women who seemingly don’t know how their own body works because we are so gun-shy about teaching people about it. I blame the Puritans.

Aka they have nothing and are reaching.

“You once said you had ham. Why don’t you tell the American people the truth, Tim. That was Canadian bacon on your plate, and it’s disgraceful that you would deceive our great pork producers by conflating the two as if they’re the same.”

Barack's speech was pretty good too. He has such presence, and such easy confidence. "I am the only person they stupid enough to speak after Michelle Obama." And the part where he starts to do the concertina thing and then looks down at his hands.
Seriously. It's like he's a master conductor and the audience is his orchestra, have never witnessed anything else like it in my lifetime and it was refreshing to see him kill it again, it's been too long.

I think it’s also fair to point out that colloquial use of a language is not nearly as precise as experts in their field use it. Especially when you get into initialisms. Much like Kleenex and Band-aid can become the default name for a tissue and self-adhesive bandage, IVF has become synonymous with "medically assisted reproduction". Simply put, not everyone is familiar with the ins and outs, and it makes sense to adjust your language use for the audience.

My personal ‘nails on chalkboard’ issue is the whole difference between the formal use of theory, and the colloquial use of it. It is one of the reasons you get such miscommunication between science work and the reporting of it, and makes science communication harder than it needs to be. But it is also true that you have about a snowball’s chance in hell of changing the colloquial meaning of the word.

Edit: Our education in general basically skims over certain anatomy, because ew. I’ve seen a surprising number of women who seemingly don’t know how their own body works because we are so gun-shy about teaching people about it. I blame the Puritans.
Agree. As a physician who is familiar with the anatomy and techniques, I have no problem with Tim Walz's use of IVF as a catch-all for medically-assisted reproduction. Of course, informing patients about options, risks, and benefits and reporting on how these techniques work demands a higher level of precision, but this is different.

Seriously. It's like he's a master conductor and the audience is his orchestra, have never witnessed anything else like it in my lifetime and it was refreshing to see him kill it again, it's been too long.
He and Michelle were excellent, as usual. I also liked hearing from Doug Emhoff about how he met Kamala Harris and how their families have blended. I wonder he's going to be able to top her formally accepting the nomination as an anniversary present. Interesting that the 10th anniversary is traditionally denoted by tin, with diamonds as a newer, more expensive gift.

Word has it that Harris and her campaign want to steer clear of any “first female President” language to the point that Hillary didn’t even say it. Smart move. This is probably one of the few times it’s a good idea for Democrats to not talk about their accomplishments, or in this case potential future accomplishment. It will trigger the misogynists and for some give DEI vibes.

love this sign so simple but you know exactly who it is.

IMG_4046.jpg

Word has it that Harris and her campaign want to steer clear of any “first female President” language to the point that Hillary didn’t even say it. Smart move. This is probably one of the few times it’s a good idea for Democrats to not talk about their accomplishments, or in this case potential future accomplishment. It will trigger the misogynists and for some give DEI vibes.

Triggering the "anti-woke brigade" just wastes everyone's energy and sucks the energy out of the room anyhow, so it would definitely be a mistake to push it. Instead, Harris is talking policy and vision, Walz can have a bit of fun with it while playing a little "bad cop" to Harris' "good cop", and we get what feels like a much more normal (and well run) campaign.

"Most of us will never be afforded the grace of failing forward,” Michelle Obama said. “We will never benefit from the affirmative action of generational wealth."

Booooom. If you have to go low (and we do!), THAT's the way to do it.

Sapienti sat.

Triggering the "anti-woke brigade" just wastes everyone's energy and sucks the energy out of the room anyhow, so it would definitely be a mistake to push it. Instead, Harris is talking policy and vision, Walz can have a bit of fun with it while playing a little "bad cop" to Harris' "good cop", and we get what feels like a much more normal (and well run) campaign.

I'm still laughing at the white guy taco outrage and their attack on joy. Let me guess what the angle is on that one. "Their joy is directly mocking and attacking your misery!" It's the new "They're coming for you!" which they somehow pulled from not thinking about them at all. We've got our own problems (as do they) and are too busy to come for them.

I’ve never put political or candidate signs in my front yard, not sure what the point is and at this point in history you’re just asking for trouble.
I don't either, but I think they do work for down-ballot positions like school boards and such. When it comes time to vote, I doubt if many people spend time looking into the candidates' histories or positions, so they're more likely to choose a name they've seen before.

As a person who had never been through it, this makes perfect sense.

But come on, if you had been through the process, I think you would have a much better handle on what was what.

I’ve never put political or candidate signs in my front yard, not sure what the point is and at this point in history you’re just asking for trouble.

I have said before, "your" yard, fine, it means something, but I get so damn tired of the signs on the road, in the anonymous shoulder, median, islands, light poles, etc. It is just ooe visual lutter, in a world where we already have enough to ignore as it is.

Back