USA Election 2024

I agree Harris said as much as she could about the Middle East without crossing the line, since she's part of the Biden-Harris administration for another five months. Although having an Israeli and Palestinian dedicated to peace would have sent a message (I've attended events where this was done), doing it during her speech would have been wrong — that was her time to shine, and she went past 11 PM ET hour as it was.

I don't think she should have done it during her speech. I meant sometime during the convention. I could be wrong, but didn't they put the family of an Israeli hostage on stage? Why one sided? Considering an estimated 40k Palestinians have been killed I don't think it would be hard to find a Palestinian American who has been personally touched by the conflict. But even then I don't think the focus of the message should have been "we've both personally experienced loss", although that could be part of it. The focus should be both sides dedicated to a peaceful coexistence and future....but I think that message is a bridge too far for Israel. But we don't live in the United States of Isreal despite efforts trying to make it so.

RFK Jr. quitting and throwing his support to Trump after Kamala refused to return his call tells the story of this election season so far. She's confident in what she's doing, has a great ground game and is seemingly not taking anything for granted. Foot on the gas all the way.

didn't they put the family of an Israeli hostage on stage? Why one sided?
Well, not quite one-sided - remember the hostage community are currently perhaps the most fervent anti-Netanyahu pro-cease-fire group in Israel.
I wouldn't have minded a Palestinian American on stage either, but this was definitely a poke in Likud's eye.

Currently visiting friends & family in Switzerland, I am struck how the words fail me when trying to describe the massive change in atmosphere in the US over the last couple of weeks. I am actually optimistic Harris/Walz will comfortably be on top in November.
HOWEVER, please remind everyone that in the absence of a trifecta win, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!
So don't let up know. Winning the presidency just saves us from epic disaster, but to improve things, we need a lot more.

Well, not quite one-sided - remember the hostage community are currently perhaps the most fervent anti-Netanyahu pro-cease-fire group in Israel.
I wouldn't have minded a Palestinian American on stage either, but this was definitely a poke in Likud's eye.
I just watched the entire segment for the first time, as I'd only seen a part before. You're right — the families and friends of the hostages hate Netanyahu more than anyone, and Jon Polin was clear about the need to end suffering on both sides. Having an American-Palestinian whose family was killed or injured in Gaza would have sent a strong message, but it would have been tricky politically. Those who feel Biden could be doing more to force Netanyahu's hand wouldn't be satisfied unless Harris said she'll do that, but she can't.

RFK Jr. quitting and throwing his support to Trump after Kamala refused to return his call tells the story of this election season so far. She's confident in what she's doing, has a great ground game and is seemingly not taking anything for granted. Foot on the gas all the way.
I mean it was always the case he was, to use a technical term, a rat fuck anyway:
Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 1.47.30 PM.png

His donors and advisors are Trump's donors and advisors.

Wouldn’t expect them to be vocally anti-Netanyahu, but was their message about a ceasefire and peaceful future? Honest question. I didn’t see the coverage, just saw them being there mentioned.

Wouldn’t expect them to be vocally anti-Netanyahu, but was their message about a ceasefire and peaceful future? Honest question. I didn’t see the coverage, just saw them being there mentioned.

I didn't see their segment either, but reading Roller's comment above, it sure sounds like it, and it certainly is the case within Israel.
When Netanyahu came to visit, the protestors who were arrested at the Capitol were all relatives of hostages. The protest was mostly about freeing the hostages and signing a cease fire deal, but Netanyahu is blamed for why Oct 7th was so calamitous and for his inept and brutal response since and @cbum is right, within Israel, the antipathy to him from the families of the hostages (and many of those killed) are reportedly even stronger. He very much needs this war to stay in power (and avoid prosecution for corruption).

So, yes, still not the equivalent of having a Palestinian-American as well, but not as one-sided as you might think.

Here's C-SPAN's recording on YouTube:

It begins around 2:12:50 with Senator Cory Booker's introduction of the couple.

Thanks for posting. I felt it did start a little one sided, but they did acknowledge the suffering of the Palestinian civilians needs to end too and the suffering isn't entirely on one side. It's a tough very public position to be in with something so personal. Out of respect for their heartbreak I won't continue with a "but.....".

Is this just Trump and Kennedy embracing the other side of the shark? So corny and gimmicky. It’s a parody of anything bad they could say about the DNC, but you know they’re serious.

Does this mean that Coulter is a childless cat lady?

And then goes on to be the governor!

Cause there are no Palestinian hostages?

Her explanation is typical. She would have attacked him had he not been diagnosed, but isn’t sorry that she did despite pretending to not know. I love how they take issue with the word “weird” while dismissing Trump’s behavior as “mean tweets”. The act is beyond stale.

The party of family values making fun of family values.

Back