What Movie Are You Watching?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched it last night on Disney+. Although some parts were good, I was disappointed overall.
  • It was too long at 2 hours and 43 minutes. I was bored some of the time.
  • The scenes with Martin Freeman and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, which were there mostly for comic relief I suppose, were cringe-worthy.
  • I realize the laws of physics are out the door in superhero movies, but Namor soaring and outflying nearly everyone supported by ankle wings was too much. I couldn't take him seriously as a villain.
  • Riri Williams/Ironheart was there to more fully introduce the character, but including her storyline seemed contrived.
  • The battle between the Wakandans and the Talokans wasn't believable, even given the context.
I found it super boring and found almost all of the characters lacking in charisma - at the very least I didn’t care what happened to any of them.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just finished “Sharper” on AppleTV+. Holy moly! I did figure it out at the end, but it was still a great movie. Terrific cast, well done.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ant Man and the Wasp (2018)- In the spectrum of marvel movies, this one has a great balance of story, action, and humor. But if unfamiliar, you have to watch the first Ant Man first.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just watched Age of Ultron (2015), Marvel in Phase 3 was in the ultimate groove

DCBF8701-56A3-48D4-96C9-31E741617081.png

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Was trying to find a streaming platform to watch a 1991 made-for-TV movie off a National Book Award winning novel by Pete Dexter, "Paris Trout." The book was a real page turner, set in Georgia, not France... Movie must have been so bad they never even made a digital version. Too bad, I wanted to see what it was like (Dennis Hopper and Ed Harris among the cast). Not gonna dust off a VHS player and go hunting around on eBay... imagine what a dice-roll the videotape medium would be by now.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
06308CB0-C567-4950-82C7-2B313BC44A71.jpeg

Grown up Cassie gets a thumbs up​

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)- I’m sad to report that Marvel has Multiverse Fever. In this movie, I like the core characters and the actors who play them, but hated the setting of this story. Here’s why, Mutliverse Faver tends to come with psychedelic backgrounds. i could handle Dr Strange facing down Dormmamu, and fighting across a Kaleidoscope of city of high rises, in relatively brief sequences. Along the same lines, the quantum realm in Ant-Man was an interesting place to briefly visit, but not spend an entire story in similiar to the Multiverse of Madness which I also disliked. Consequently this franchise loses some of it’s Earth bound quaintness Imo. How do I make my final judgement, can I watch such a movie multiple times? The answer here is no. :(

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)

Classical “getting dragged into a fantasy world and trying to get home but need to help stop a baddie first” story. If that is something you enjoy, go for it! I’d say it is perfectly enjoyable even without having seen other MCU movies or shows.

The main thing I disliked with the movie was the use if the No Time to Explain-trope, felt a bit cheap and predictable. Other than that, well, you certainly get what you can expect from something in the MCU titled “quantumania”. That’s a feature, not a bug.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)

Classical “getting dragged into a fantasy world and trying to get home but need to help stop a baddie first” story. If that is something you enjoy, go for it! I’d say it is perfectly enjoyable even without having seen other MCU movies or shows.

The main thing I disliked with the movie was the use if the No Time to Explain-trope, felt a bit cheap and predictable. Other than that, well, you certainly get what you can expect from something in the MCU titled “quantumania”. That’s a feature, not a bug.
It also struck me as a writer’s after thought as to why Janet: The reason I said nothing about this before, a realm at the atomic level, chock full of sentient life, their own little world of conflict. Well the premise was set when human beings could shrink them selves down to atom size, remain coherent entities, apparently made up of elements smaller than atoms. That said, I liked the first 2 chapters of this franchise, was willing to overlook this paradox of sorts, until they forced me to dwell on it. :D

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
It also struck me as a writer’s after thought as to why Janet: The reason I said nothing about this before, a realm at the atomic level, chock full of sentient life, their own little world of conflict. Well the premises was set when human beings could shrink them selves down to atom size, remain coherent entities, apparently made up of elements smaller than atoms. That said, I liked the first 2 chapters of this franchise, was willing to overlook this paradox of sorts, until they forced me to dwell on it. :D
You seem to struggle with suspension of disbelief and films. Like, Willy Wonka must just drive you crazy with all the workplace safety issues.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You seem to struggle with suspension of disbelief and films. Like, Willy Wonka must just drive you crazy with all the workplace safety issues.
Dude you are wrong…We all have our personal limits, triggers, and preferences. I can accept SoD on my terms! Willy Wonka: let them drown in a chocolate vat, all the more fun. ;)

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A6874668-54E1-4D61-905D-9FAE60EAA254.jpeg

Above Suspicion (2021)- The story of an FBI agent and his informant. It got terrible audience and critic reviews, it did not feel coherent, and it’s a somber look at small town Kentucky white trash, not to imply that all Southern small town society is like this. One bright light is Emilia Clarke does a great job with her portrayal, Southern accent and her narration pulled me in at the start. The story telling just felt haphazard and disjointed.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/above_suspicion_2021

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
E00CE0AF-2B94-4910-B64E-FF30A75B5CE4.jpeg
Ensemble Brilliance​

Galaxy Quest- Streamed on Netflix. I walked though the family room and my wife had this on, just started, damn her! I had to sit and watch then started laughing. I’ve really grown to appreciate the ensemble performances and humor in this movie. Outstanding spoof/comedy! The Chompers, lol. :D

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
History of the World Part II - Streaming on Hulu. We have been teased about the coming of this since the 1981 original where in a TV show like preview they depict Hilter on Ice. For most people in their 50's, this movie was part of their teen or college years and full of inappropriate jokes and innuendo's. Mel Books is back as the writer and narrator. I suspect given the original movie was a compilation of sketches, that moving it to an 8 episode series will work just fine.

The assembled cast is a who's who of sketch comedy actors including Wanda Sykes, Jack Black, Josh Gad, Danny Devito, Ike Barinholtz, Sarah Silverman, Johnny Knoxville and Seth Rogan.

I debated on which thread to put this in, but since it is a continuation of a movie, I picked this one instead of TV.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
History of the World Part II - Streaming on Hulu. We have been teased about the coming of this since the 1981 original where in a TV show like preview they depict Hilter on Ice. For most people in their 50's, this movie was part of their teen or college years and full of inappropriate jokes and innuendo's. Mel Books is back as the writer and narrator. I suspect given the original movie was a compilation of sketches, that moving it to an 8 episode series will work just fine.

I’ll have to give this a shot at some point. I was a bit disappointed in the Spaceballs TV follow on as it just didn’t hit the mark. But this seems like it should do better.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 22219
Ensemble Brilliance​

Galaxy Quest- Streamed on Netflix. I walked though the family room and my wife had this on, just started, damn her! I had to sit and watch then started laughing. I’ve really grown to appreciate the ensemble performances and humor in this movie. Outstanding spoof/comedy! The Chompers, lol. :D
Watched the documentary Never Surrender on Amazon. If you like Galaxy Quest this is worthy. Of interest, the studio insisted that this movie be PG so they cut out the profanity originally in it. Remember when they go through the chompers and Sigourney Weaver says “Screw This”? She originally used the F word and they just dubbed over it, so if you lip read… :D Quoted:

According to Pulitzer Prize winning Playwright and Screenwriter David Mamet the 4 perfect movies are:

The Godfather
A Place in the Sun
Dodsworth
Galaxy Quest

Top Bottom
1 2