Ron DeSantis: What in the ever loving fuck is wrong with him?

Disney filed a lawsuit against DeSantis for retaliation against their free speech. That’s exactly what he did and he’s frequently said as much. He really seems to enjoy a woke kick in his balls.

I find this whole Disney/DeSantis thing amusing.

He managed to find a way to make liberals side with a huge corporation over government control. That just goes against their DNA.

He managed to find a way to make liberals side with a huge corporation over government control. That just goes against their DNA.
True, nothing triggers Liberals like losing rights to their own bodies, the way they dress, how they identify, wear a mask, what they say, or any other personal freedom that the party of "personal liberty" wants to take away.

7 - That is the difference between deaths in FL per 100K and NY. 404 to 397. And NY was severely locked down. FL wasn't the best, but neither were some of the really locked down states. NJ and MI were worse than FL.
What year are you referring to? Here's the data from the CDC for 2021 (# deaths per 100K):
FL: 111.7
NY: 83.9
That's a difference of 27.8
Here's the total # deaths:
FL: 34557
NY: 21675
COVID-19 Mortality by State
Did you get your data from Tucker Carlson?

What year are you referring to? Here's the data from the CDC for 2021 (# deaths per 100K):
FL: 111.7
NY: 83.9
That's a difference of 27.8
Here's the total # deaths:
FL: 34557
NY: 21675
COVID-19 Mortality by State
Did you get your data from Tucker Carlson?
I would also argue that the true number of FL covid related deaths was higher than reported. Just like China, Deathsantis clamped down on reporting of deaths.

About that Government "control". For the party of limited Government, Republicans are all up in your business, whether it's your crotch or a theme park, he's wants to control it.

Disney sues Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, alleges political effort to hurt its business​

• Walt Disney Co. sued Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, alleging the Republican governor has waged a “relentless campaign to weaponize government power” over the company.
  • The suit dramatically escalates the feud between DeSantis, who is expected to become a top Republican contender in the 2024 presidential race, and Disney.
  • The lawsuit was filed the same day that a DeSantis-backed board moved to undo a development deal that it says Disney struck to thwart its power.

About that Government "control". For the party of limited Government, Republicans are all up in your business, whether it's your crotch or a theme park, he's wants to control it.

Disney sues Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, alleges political effort to hurt its business​

• Walt Disney Co. sued Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, alleging the Republican governor has waged a “relentless campaign to weaponize government power” over the company.
  • The suit dramatically escalates the feud between DeSantis, who is expected to become a top Republican contender in the 2024 presidential race, and Disney.
  • The lawsuit was filed the same day that a DeSantis-backed board moved to undo a development deal that it says Disney struck to thwart its power.

God speed, Bob Iger. Sucks to be Ron.

My point was liberals tend to look to government for solutions vs corporations for solutions. Before, Reedy Creek had almost no government oversight or regulatory supervision. In other words, they were fully deregulated. Find me a liberal who would be for that in a general sense.

I would also argue that the true number of FL covid related deaths was higher than reported. Just like China, Deathsantis clamped down on reporting of deaths.

I could also argue they should have a higher count simply based on demographics. FL has the second highest population of 65+ both as a percentage (ME is higher 21.8% to 21.3%) and overall count (CA has 5.9M vs FL 4.6M, yet has almost twice the population). So given that 75% or so of COVID deaths affected those 65+, FL seems to have done better overall with respect to age.

My point was liberals tend to look to government for solutions vs corporations for solutions. Before, Reedy Creek had almost no government oversight or regulatory supervision. In other words, they were fully deregulated. Find me a liberal who would be for that in a general sense.
I guess i don't see the correlation here, this is Ron DeSantis' Government war on Disney, not the other way around. It would be one thing if this were genuinely about oversight but it's a personal vendetta and not even Republicans are denying that.

I could also argue they should have a higher count simply based on demographics. FL has the second highest population of 65+ both as a percentage (ME is higher 21.8% to 21.3%) and overall count (CA has 5.9M vs FL 4.6M, yet has almost twice the population). So given that 75% or so of COVID deaths affected those 65+, FL seems to have done better overall with respect to age.
It would lend credibility to your argument if you were to provide credible sources to backup your claim here.

I guess i don't see the correlation here, this is Ron DeSantis' Government war on Disney, not the other way around. It would be one thing if this were genuinely about oversight but it's a personal vendetta and not even Republicans are denying that.

Reedy Creek Development Improvement District was the "organization" that was tasked with managing the infrastructure at Disney. It basically acted as a defacto government agency that had the following responsibilities:

The District is responsible to oversee land use and environmental protections within the District, and provide essential public services (e.g. fire protection, emergency medical services, potable water production, treatment, storage, pumping & distribution, reclaimed water distribution, chilled water systems, wastewater services, drainage and flood control, electric power generation & distribution, and solid waste and recyclables collection & disposal); regulate the EPCOT Building Code; and operate and maintain all public roadways & bridges. The District operates on a fiscal year, beginning on October 1st and ending on September 30th; and funds its operations, services, and capital improvements by assessing taxes and fees to the landowners and lessees, within the District, and by issuing ad valorem and utility revenue bonds.

So it was basically the equivalent of a county government. With the board of supervisors appointed by the landowners within the district, of which there were 24. So Disney was appointing the board that was tasked with regulating them. Nothing could go wrong with that arrangement.

So my point on this was liberals tend to trust government over corporations and here was a corporation running the quasi-governmental agency that was supposed to be regulating them. I can't imagine a liberal being in favor of this arrangement. Take the Disney/DeSantis feud out of it and tell me if you would be in favor of Google basically running a county government.

As for DeSantis going after Disney, he only did that AFTER Disney came out spreading lies about his Parental Rights in Education bill. Had they stayed out of it, none of this probably would have happened.

It would lend credibility to your argument if you were to provide credible sources to backup your claim here.

I'll get the links for you tomorrow morning. And none are from Fox. ;)

As for DeSantis going after Disney, he only did that AFTER Disney came out spreading lies about his Parental Rights in Education bill. Had they stayed out of it, none of this probably would have happened.

I'll get the links for you tomorrow morning. And none are from Fox. ;)
well according to DeSantis but then again he said this and he is running the government according to his whims and taking away freedom of speech.
"This state is governed by the interest of the people of the state of Florida. It is not based on the demands of California corporate executives," he argued. "They do not run this state. They do not control this state."

So my point on this was liberals tend to trust government over corporations and here was a corporation running the quasi-governmental agency that was supposed to be regulating them. I can't imagine a liberal being in favor of this arrangement.

While it is true that corporate ownership of government is not generally regarded as a net positive, it has become increasingly difficult to fight. I mean, your own state is basically owned by "Mr. Peabody" and his fellow coal barons. Business owning the government that regulates them is prettymuch status quo and has been for longer than my several decades of life. Much as I wish 'twere otherwise.

Can you clarify what these lies were? Perhaps with a link?

It wasn't about owning the libs, it was about keeping the state open for business, schools open for the kids and keeping people employed and small businesses running.

7 - That is the difference between deaths in FL per 100K and NY. 404 to 397. And NY was severely locked down. FL wasn't the best, but neither were some of the really locked down states. NJ and MI were worse than FL.
I don't know if you cherry-picked these numbers to support your contention that DeSantis did the right thing, but it's an over-simplification of the effects of his policies during the COVID-19 pandemic. Thoughtful consideration of the problem shows that many interrelated variables were at play. A study published in The Lancet last month (Lancet 2023; 401: 1341–60) looked at what happened across all states. For example, death rates were related to factors such as vaccine uptake, access to healthcare, and socioeconomic status, to name just three. And, as I pointed out in another post, DeSantis' appointment of Joseph Ladapo as Surgeon General is evidence of his disregard for the well-being of his constituents.

As well, quoting from the paper:

"The states that implemented and maintained more mandates were statistically associated, on average, with higher mask use and greater vaccine coverage rates, which in turn were associated with fewer infections."

"We found no associations between GDP and most health mandates, lower infections, or fewer total deaths in the pandemic, indicating that the economy was neither hindered nor helped by interstate differences in COVID-19 health mandates and outcomes."

The key point is that we, as a country, did poorly compared to our peers, in large part because of politicization of the pandemic and the desire of many politicians to look tough instead of listening to expert consensus. That doesn't bode well for the next one, which may turn out to have an even higher mortality and morbidity rate than SARS-CoV-2.

While it is true that corporate ownership of government is not generally regarded as a net positive, it has become increasingly difficult to fight. I mean, your own state is basically owned by "Mr. Peabody" and his fellow coal barons. Business owning the government that regulates them is prettymuch status quo and has been for longer than my several decades of life. Much as I wish 'twere otherwise.

To be fair, pundit talking points rarely come with a factual source.

While it is true that corporate ownership of government is not generally regarded as a net positive, it has become increasingly difficult to fight. I mean, your own state is basically owned by "Mr. Peabody" and his fellow coal barons.

LOL. Are you referring to Big Jim as Mr. Peabody? If so, we have a better nickname for him. Big "F-ing follow the guidelines" Jim.

To be fair, pundit talking points rarely come with a factual source.

That's easy. Anyone who called it the "Don't Say Gay" bill was lying. That is Disney, other politicians and even the non-pundit press. Those words are not in the bill. Anywhere. I think you might want to read the actual bill.

LOL. Are you referring to Big Jim as Mr. Peabody? If so, we have a better nickname for him. Big "F-ing follow the guidelines" Jim.

That's easy. Anyone who called it the "Don't Say Gay" bill was lying. That is Disney, other politicians and even the non-pundit press. Those words are not in the bill. Anywhere. I think you might want to read the actual bill.
so of course those words are not in it. but it is what it does.
The bill’s sponsors have emphatically stated that the bill would not prohibit students from talking about their LGBTQ families or bar classroom discussions about LGBTQ history, including events like the 2016 deadly attack on the Pulse nightclub, a gay club in Orlando. Instead, they argue that the bill would bar the “instruction” of sexual orientation or gender identity.

But the text says both.

In its preamble, the bill’s authors write that their aim is to prohibit “classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity.” But later, the actual bill states that “classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur.”

“I could see why people are confused by that,” said Clay Calvert, a professor at the University of Florida Levin College of Law who specializes in freedom of speech.

“I have no idea why that’s still left up there, but that’s not part of the binding legislation that DeSantis would sign,” Calvert added, referring to the word “discussion” in the bill’s preamble.

This is a point I heard fairly early on from progressive sources – We shouldn’t be celebrating a corporation wielding control over the government, but that is hardly the cover story in this situation. It’s a lesser evil scenario.

Also people on the left tend to not have the same brick wall beliefs that people on the right do – pry my guns from my cold dead hands, all abortions are murder, all immigrants who outstay their welcome are criminals, etc. I’m not saying all people on the right are like that, but there are far more people on the right who believe in absolutes than people on the left. People on the right might be shocked to find out that there are people on the left who also can’t completely wrap their heads around transgender people (but also aren’t trying to suppress them) and acknowledge that some lazy people in minority groups actually do exist.

Back