The Republican Agenda 2021 and Forward

I don’t think there’s a chance a well known longtime MAGA detractor could win at this point in history. AFAIK Nikki has stayed off their radar thus far. I think she needs to walk the line of acknowledging their concerns without waving a flamethrower at those left of center right. Also it’s a deal breaker on the far right to acknowledge you’ll have to work with Democrats on anything ever. Maybe just throw around “common sense” a lot to deflect from that.

What I really like about Kissinger is he openly owns and takes responsibility, and more importantly learns, from mistakes and past views he's held in the past. It's refreshing when most politicians just obfuscate and double down. Bonus points for being a past Lieutenant Colonel and pilot in the Air Force, and is still serving in the National Guard. Double points awarded for his role in the January 6th commission.

I can see him being a presidential candidate sometime in the future. Perhaps even switching parties.

Edit: Kinzinger

Last edited:
What I really like about Kissinger is he openly owns and takes responsibility, and more importantly learns, from mistakes and past views he's held in the past. It's refreshing when most politicians just obfuscate and double down. Bonus points for being a past Lieutenant Colonel and pilot in the Air Force, and is still serving in the National Guard. Double points awarded for his role in the January 6th commission.

I can see him being a presidential candidate sometime in the future. Perhaps even switching parties.

But you're not seeing it from the right's point of view. On the right you either have to see 1/6 as completely justified or that the participants were just a bunch of knuckleheads who should be given a pass or extreme leniency. Most importantly, Trump had very little to do with it and he was just echoing what they already believed.

But you're not seeing it from the right's point of view. On the right you either have to see 1/6 as completely justified or that the participants were just a bunch of knuckleheads who should be given a pass or extreme leniency. Most importantly, Trump had very little to do with it and he was just echoing what they already believed.

But I am. After trump and co-conspirators begin serving long sentences in a federal penitentiary or state prison, I believe MAGA will lose its luster, and the party will eventually start shifting back. With or without MAGA.

And, as I mentioned previously... I wouldn't be shocked at all if Kinzinger were to switch parties and run. That's my *opinion*.

Gosh I hope you meant Kissinger and not Kissinger.

But I am. After trump and co-conspirators begin serving long sentences in a federal penitentiary or state prison, I believe MAGA will lose its luster, and the party will eventually start shifting back. With or without MAGA.

And, as I mentioned previously... I wouldn't be shocked at all if Kinzinger were to switch parties and run. That's my *opinion*.

But as of right now I don't think that's the case. Maybe closer to the election but not now. MAGA still rules, and time is ticking on the primaries. So I don't think we're going to see a last minute add that's going to save the day.

I listened to an interview with Kinzinger recently and he's not changing parties. He said as much. In fact he still calls himself a Republican. So he's not even slid into Independent status yet. He's very aware of what has happened, what is going on, and what could happen. With all that I can't picture a scenario where he would suddenly change parties.

But as of right now I don't think that's the case. Maybe closer to the election but not now. MAGA still rules, and time is ticking on the primaries. So I don't think we're going to see a last minute add that's going to save the day.

I listened to an interview with Kinzinger recently and he's not changing parties. He said as much. In fact he still calls himself a Republican. So he's not even slid into Independent status yet. He's very aware of what has happened, what is going on, and what could happen. With all that I can't picture a scenario where he would suddenly change parties.

I was thinking more about Kinzinger switching for a future election. He's still relatively young.

Let’s say the House and/or a second Trump Presidency successfully stops helping the war in Ukraine and then Russia absorbs the country. Maybe Zelenskyy falls out a window or whatever. I’m sincerely curious on how those who think it’s the right thing to do will put a positive spin on it.

Put a brace under your chin,

Stephen Miller, need I say more?

I can't think of a better literal example of proving that white racists believe it is their inherent right to dominate everything with no intrusion by "others".

"NASCAR allowing itself even the possibility that it may one day, maybe, not be 100% white dominated is discriminatory against whites."

More saying the Republican minority rule quite part out loud.

Where’s the praising states rights argument now?
Not only should Santorum be vilified for saying that (it'd make a great quote or sound bite for a political ad), but he's a moron if he doesn't think abortion is a real issue.

Not only should Santorum be vilified for saying that (it'd make a great quote or sound bite for a political ad), but he's a moron if he doesn't think abortion is a real issue.

AFAIK every time citizens were allowed to vote on abortion they voted in support of it. Restrictions have only happened when Republican legislators rammed it through without a citizen vote. That’s extreme minority rule.

I agree with his point that pure democracies are not the way to run a country.

I can think of many things that we now have codified in law that never would have happened, or would not have happened when they did, if people were allowed a direct vote on the issue.

I can think of many things that we now have codified in law that never would have happened, or would not have happened when they did, if people were allowed a direct vote on the issue.
If pure democracy means that each citizen votes on every issue as you describe, I agree. But it's well established that the electorate can do this sometimes, which is what ballot initiatives are for. I include abortion rights in this category.

At this point abortion rights should be put up to the voters in every state. Republicans should take the immediate loss but get it off the radar and hope pro choice voters don’t hold the grudge indefinitely. While it’s still up in the air or bans are being forced by state legislators more people are going to show up to vote which statistically isn’t good for Republicans and they will suffer collateral damage that isn’t related to abortion directly.

The only argument Santorum is making here is that he wants to win even when he loses. He thinks abortion is horrible so should get to decide for everyone. He’s not making any deeper philosophical point.

I do agree with you (and I guess him) in principle though. Pure old-fashioned slavery would probably have remained legal for another half-century with such a system. That could branch into all sorts of crap like certain states or the federal governments banning or forcing certain religions and the like. Who knows what madness could arise.

If pure democracy means that each citizen votes on every issue as you describe, I agree. But it's well established that the electorate can do this sometimes, which is what ballot initiatives are for. I include abortion rights in this category.

Except, in 29 states, there is no mechanism for direct legisative initiatives by the voters, and 32 states do not afford voters the right to directly amend the state constitution (my state allows petitioned initiative, referendum and recall but not direct amendment votes).

Back