WWDC 2022: What was Announced

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Here is a detailed look at passkeys, a new feature announced at WWDC that could replace passwords.

Tidbits seldom disappoints. I think it’s definitely worth a read.

And a bookmark so I can read it again after more coffee... thanks.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Beta 3 on iPad changes the "three dots" multitasking doohickey in Stage Manager. Instead of just popping up three icons in a horizontal row, it's a menu now.

1657130487302.png

They also changed the "tray" on the left side to clearly indicate when multiple windows are in a "stage"

1657130567316.png

Both of the above were found by Federico Viticci.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
From my experiments, it also looks like Beta 3 lets you window (in stage manager) apps that previously were only allowed to run full-screen. It won’t let you ignore apps’ orientation limits, though - a portrait-only app can run in a window, but it stays in portrait mode when you rotate the device. This causes weird behaviors when one windowed app needs portrait but the rest don’t. When you rotate, the rest generally rotate, but it seems janky, and it’s weird and pointless not to have the “portrait-locked” app also rotate.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Also interesting: two choices are ”close” and “minimize.” Close quits the app (or at least that instance of the app). That’s a macOS concept, not really an iPadOS concept.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Interesting stuff.

With the ability to handle a more flexible workflow, drive an external display (correctly), I might up getting the little G an M1 iPadPro + KB/TP case for the coming school year. I've hesitated in the past to migrate anyone from a Mac (laptop) to an iPad, just so I wasn't trying to solve usability problems, but I think this next OS version may do it.

The alternatives are to get a new display for ~$300 and fix her M1 MBP (16/256), which of course, assumes I actually fix it and not wreck it :D Or just go with another Mac, probably an M2 MBA - and yes, FFS, get AC+ this time :LOL:

Funny that a slightly upgraded MBA M2 (base + 16GB RAM) is pretty much the same price as an iPP 12.8 + KB/TP

I could take the MBP, use it in perm "desktop mode" for my Mac, sell the Mini, get a Winders machine - the latter I may wind up needing anyway.

We could also sell everything, the house, stuff, take out all our money in cash, buy an RV, change our names, and hit the road, see where life takes us ...

Decisions, decisions ...

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like they’ve turned on “shared libraries” in photos now. I set one up but won’t be able to test it for awhile.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We could also sell everything, the house, stuff, take out all our money in cash, buy an RV, change our names, and hit the road, see where life takes us ...

Decisions, decisions ...
Get the one that has the 300KWh battery pack, with the solar panel body and deployable wind turbine so you can park in west BF for a week to get it charged up. But make sure it has an efficient heat pump (it can get cold of a night in ND or blistering in AZ) and a good water purifier to handle recycling your PoE.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am seeing that this beta does a much better job of keeping windows positioned and sized within a stage when you leave the stage and come back. I have Reeder and Tweetbot sharing a stage, and Reeder kept expanding (and losing its UINav controller hierarchy position) in the prior betas. Now it seems to work.

On the other hand, there still is the issue I have with apps that need to be blessed by MobileIron before they run. On app launch mobile iron is invoked, but then it crashes before it can return control to the app. Again, I think this is related to the new clipboard protections, and that MobileIron needs to ask permission to see the clipboard or something.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
On my regular model iPad, when I pull up the floating Notepad window from the corner, if it is on home screen, I can type one letter at which point the keyboard slides off the screen. I mean, granted, it is a non-typical usage that is almost nonsensical, but still, it would be niceif 16 would unflaw this.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Interesting stuff.

With the ability to handle a more flexible workflow, drive an external display (correctly), I might up getting the little G an M1 iPadPro + KB/TP case for the coming school year. I've hesitated in the past to migrate anyone from a Mac (laptop) to an iPad, just so I wasn't trying to solve usability problems, but I think this next OS version may do it.

The alternatives are to get a new display for ~$300 and fix her M1 MBP (16/256), which of course, assumes I actually fix it and not wreck it :D Or just go with another Mac, probably an M2 MBA - and yes, FFS, get AC+ this time :LOL:

Funny that a slightly upgraded MBA M2 (base + 16GB RAM) is pretty much the same price as an iPP 12.8 + KB/TP

I could take the MBP, use it in perm "desktop mode" for my Mac, sell the Mini, get a Winders machine - the latter I may wind up needing anyway.

Decided the iPad+KB/TP, especially with iPadOS 16 apparently delayed till October - and my uncertainty that it still would possibly introduce some challenges - was not the best fit.

Ordering an M2 Air, 8/10, 16GB RAM, 256GB storage in Starlight :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
** BOOM **

Done, and I should have saved ~$100 for no tax week in Florida, plus $50 cashback, so for ~$1450, pretty happy. I decided to purchase just the machine and I'll get AC+ as a different transaction since the purchase cap is $1500 for the tax break.

Showing Aug 19th - Aug 26th delivery date.

Started with the base M2 ($1199) and upped the RAM (+$200) and GPU (+$100) to max, 256GB is fine for storage:

1659575492778.png

The little G is beaming over the color :love:

1659575670579.png

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
** BOOM **

Done, and I should have saved ~$100 for no tax week in Florida, plus $50 cashback, so for ~$1450, pretty happy. I decided to purchase just the machine and I'll get AC+ as a different transaction since the purchase cap is $1500 for the tax break.

Started with the base M2 ($1199) and upped the RAM (+$200) and GPU (+$100) to max, 256GB is fine for storage:

View attachment 16391

The little G is beaming over the color :love:

View attachment 16393
If it hasn’t shipped, you might want to consider increasing the SSD storage, for the speed boost you will get…

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If it hasn’t shipped, you might want to consider increasing the SSD storage, for the speed boost you will get…

It should be totally fine, her use won't be affected by storage speed, in fact, I could probably have gone with just 8GB, but she does do a lot of big graphics, run some bigger-ish games, tends to have several apps open at once - I figured RAM/GPU was worth it, disk less so - and the display and few other improvements make it well worth the price (at matched specs) vs. an M1 machine.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
** BOOM **

Went from the date above for 4 days, through processing, then went into Preparing to Ship Friday, and then Sunday night, we get this :D

1659968487575.png

But it's even better, according to UPS:

1659968526640.png

8 days order to delivery :D

Same thing happened with my Tesla last year, people talking about 30-60 days (or more) delivery times, I place an order on a Friday, I get the "Schedule your pickup" the following Thu (I wound up waiting till Sunday, but could've been just a week order to delivery)

Must be my mediocre super power ... :ROFLMAO:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Geez, no hard cases/shells shipping yet. I put a couple on order, maybe one will show sooner than later.

The main thing I need to do, before I even unbox it (if possible), is get AC+ on it, so avoid another MBP mishap.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Went from the date above for 4 days, through processing, then went into Preparing to Ship Friday, and then Sunday night, we get this :D

View attachment 16488

But it's even better, according to UPS:

View attachment 16489
8 days order to delivery :D

Same thing happened with my Tesla last year, people talking about 30-60 days (or more) delivery times, I place an order on a Friday, I get the "Schedule your pickup" the following Thu (I wound up waiting till Sunday, but could've been just a week order to delivery)

Must be my mediocre super power ... :ROFLMAO:

Ummm ... :ROFLMAO:

1660170590740.png

[edit]

When I posted the shipment progress above, it was indicating a delivery date of Aug 12 / Friday, but checked just now (T asked ...) now it's tomorrow ...

1660177260696.png

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Word is, those M2 thingies are fast.

Yeah, I want one, or a M1<something>, I might have to pick up a Winders™ notebook. I'm looking to immerse myself in a couple of projects for several months, with the option for portable work, and yes, maybe some gaming. I'll leave my Mini setup on the other desk the office, remote over to it as needed, use the M1 or M2 MBA when I want to just knock around, manage some photos, want a lightweight road machine for communication.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Top Bottom
1 2