Ron DeSantis: What in the ever loving fuck is wrong with him?

To be fair, pundit talking points rarely come with a factual source.

That's easy. Anyone who called it the "Don't Say Gay" bill was lying. That is Disney, other politicians and even the non-pundit press. Those words are not in the bill. Anywhere. I think you might want to read the actual bill.
Just want to be clear, so this is your source?

It's hard to make an argument when you base it on emotion and punditry, yet this is what so many Republicans rely on. None of them watch or read actual news based on actual reporting and it's one of the reasons so many of them are just totally ignorant. We could ask if the sky is blue on a clear day and get "well, Tucker Carlson disagrees and made some good points".

That's easy. Anyone who called it the "Don't Say Gay" bill was lying. That is Disney, other politicians and even the non-pundit press. Those words are not in the bill. Anywhere. I think you might want to read the actual bill.

Actually, you are mistaken. Those words are in the bill. Look on page 4 of the linked pdf, section 3 at the bottom of the page. It says it right there.

I completely forgot about that song. Maybe my Cooked Piece of Time is getting too old. :)

Just want to be clear, so this is your source

It's hard to make an argument when you base it on emotion and punditry, yet this is what so many Republicans rely on. None of them watch or read actual news based on actual reporting and it's one of the reasons so many of them are just totally ignorant. We could ask if the sky is blue on a clear day and get "well, Tucker Carlson disagrees and made some good points".

Simply Google "Don't Say Gay". You will have pages and pages of hits with that in the title from almost every news source.

Actually, you are mistaken. Those words are in the bill. Look on page 4 of the linked pdf, section 3 at the bottom of the page. It says it right there.

"3. Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur
in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age- appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in
accordance with state standards."

The words Don't, Say or Gay are simply not in that section. And that section doesn't prohibit saying "Gay", it just prevents classroom instruction in K-3. It doesn't prevent the word.

I would also argue that the true number of FL covid related deaths was higher than reported. Just like China, Deathsantis clamped down on reporting of deaths.

As far as I can tell Florida’s “undercount” most of the articles I seem to cite a discrepancy of ~3,000 uncounted deaths, which is about 3.5% of the 87,000. Much of this seems to be caused by integration issues between reporting databases, labs, hospitals, etc. Information integration in healthcare is a total mess as it is and things like this are not particularly uncommon. Let’s please remember that that woman who accused Florida of meddling with their data is crazy, a grifter (who raised $350k+ on the back of her lies), has completely misrepresented everything that’s ever happened to her, and has been completely discredited. Unfortunately the pathological partisanship got in the way of people looking at the situation before forming an opinion and donating money to her. Her accusations as I recall did prompt an AG investigation that found some errors, but nothing that appears to be a giant conspiracy.

The fact of the matter is COVID-19 deaths to this day likely remain BOTH overcounted and undercounted. While some of the systematic overcounting has been addressed there is still a lot of wiggle room to over classify things. At the same time, there were likely many people who died without their symptoms or having a test who were never counted. Some data is just going to not exist due to reporting errors. During the height of the pandemic reporting accuracy was necessarily at the forefront of HCP’s minds. California apparently has 20,000 missing deaths. NY undercounted COVID-19 deaths as much as 50% according to an internal audit- except we know there was a lot of funny business there with Cuomo. But in most cases I expect most states have similar problems and if they don’t, it’s probably because they haven’t reviewed hard enough.

As for state to state or country to country comparisons- it’s a far more complicated analysis than comparing CFRs between states. Population age distribution, population density, health status/pre-existing conditions, socioeconomic status, access to healthcare, when peaks were experienced, etc are all factors that confound the data considerably. On top of that, as I have long argued, health outcomes are just one factor. It’s not typical for epidemiology to have a single metric. Other factors such as effect on the economy, children's education, societal mental health, etc are all also important considerations with potentially profound consequences.

Rather than the government actually reflecting upon what worked, what didn’t, how to best prevent and respond to a future pandemic, maybe how public health can gain/maintain trust and communicate to the public, etc they’d rather focus on partisanship and Fauci and out of context death rates and other such spectacles. While the origin of COVID is very important, as are any potential conspiracies, I have a very long list of things that just as important if not substantially more so. There are many important lessons to be learned but people either don’t care at this point or are so entrenched in politics to concede anything or are fully interested in protecting their past decisions that most of this will probably just be swept under the rug by those who are responsible.

The words Don't, Say or Gay are simply not in that section. And that section doesn't prohibit saying "Gay", it just prevents classroom instruction in K-3. It doesn't prevent the word.
OK, now go on about how that thing there is a "magazine", not a "clip", and how 3 rounds a second is not "automatic". Diversionary pedantry does not become you.

It does say "don't say gay", no matter how you slice it.

The fact of the matter is COVID-19 deaths to this day likely remain BOTH overcounted and undercounted. While some of the systematic overcounting has been addressed there is still a lot of wiggle room to over classify things. At the same time, there were likely many people who died without their symptoms or having a test who were never counted. Some data is just going to not exist due to reporting errors. During the height of the pandemic reporting accuracy was necessarily at the forefront of HCP’s minds. California apparently has 20,000 missing deaths. NY undercounted COVID-19 deaths as much as 50% according to an internal audit- except we know there was a lot of funny business there with Cuomo. But in most cases I expect most states have similar problems and if they don’t, it’s probably because they haven’t reviewed hard enough.

Agree with you completely, but... Which is worse. A covid death count that included people who died because they couldn't get medical services while the pandemic overwhelmed our system. Or an actual covid death that wasn't counted because well the patient was 95 and in hospice and tested positive for covid, but a hitler like governor wouldn't allow it to be counted because that person was going to die anyway.

OK, now go on about how that thing there is a "magazine", not a "clip", and how 3 rounds a second is not "automatic". Diversionary pedantry does not become you.

It does say "don't say gay", no matter how you slice it.

Citizens United has absolutely nothing to do with corporations because it doesn’t say corporation in the title.

I guess what I really don't understand is why people are in favor of having teachers talk to Kindergartners about Sexual Orientation.

Who are these people that are in favor of having such discussions with kindergartners?

I don't know, but there is a whole lot of people who are opposed to this bill. So there must be some who are in favor of it.

But being opposed to the bill doesn't mean people are in favor of having sexual orientation discussions with kindergartners.

I guess what I really don't understand is why people are in favor of having teachers talk to Kindergartners about Sexual Orientation.
Well, and that is kind of the point. The Rs have become very skilled at erecting windmills for their lances. CRT is another prominent example of them attacking a mirage. But now, if a 5-year-old asks about her two dads, or some other relationship she has observed, the teacher is not at liberty to discuss it. Or, in fact, to say that it is immoral, because the law says "sexual orientation", not "homosexuality". Hence, they are not even permitted to say that it is good for boys and girls to be attracted to each other.

Sex education and gay approval is not, TBMK, being taught to children that age as it is. But now it is straight-up illegal, so if there were a genuine need to discuss the issue with young children, the option to have that discussion is no longer there. That is why there is strong opposition to this bullshit.

Times are changing. Some people are uncomfortable, even terrified, about where things seem to be going and want to get out ahead of those changes, to prevent them. At some point in the future, these legal ravings will have to be reversed. Or maybe they will just be forgotten about/ignored.

But, it is problematic to have legal code full of vestigial clauses that are ignored or not enforced, because it makes determining what is or should be legitimate law kind of difficult. That is a major reason to oppose pointless, constricting, nonsense laws.

He lost it on a reporter today, not sure he'll have what it takes to run a major campaign.

He's certainly quick on his feet.
Is that how you saw it? To me he was just snappy and defensive with no actual rebuttal for the question. Even Trump at his most divisive was never that angry and snotty with reporters.

Is that how you saw it? To me he was just snappy and defensive with no actual rebuttal for the question. Even Trump at his most divisive was never that angry and snotty with reporters.

He was that, too. And it will play to his base. Optics.

Back