WWDC 2022: What was Announced

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I also can't believe in an M1 variant considering the Senior VP of Hardware said that the M1 line was completed with the Ultra. That was in March. Apple's plans aren't changing that quickly. Even if they consider an M1 variant to be an existing M1, that still means that Ternus said no new M1's even though they planned to release a new M1. That doesn't make a lot of sense. They just wouldn't have said anything about future products instead as is the norm for Apple.
As long as they don't announce a new variant called Omicron, I'm good.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I also can't believe in an M1 variant considering the Senior VP of Hardware said that the M1 line was completed with the Ultra. That was in March. Apple's plans aren't changing that quickly. Even if they consider an M1 variant to be an existing M1, that still means that Ternus said no new M1's even though they planned to release a new M1. That doesn't make a lot of sense. They just wouldn't have said anything about future products instead as is the norm for Apple.
Yep.

So it’s either a MBA with M2, which would be contrary to every supposed leak, or an MBA with an M1, which isn’t going to be very exciting unless these MBA’s differ in some other manner than appearance from the old ones.

One other possibility, though, is the same M1, but at a higher clock speed. That wouldn’t contradict the comments they made about no more M1 variants, and they could say that the new design is to accommodate the thermals or something.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone else going to install the first beta? I figure I can either use the old iPad I usually use, or the 12" 2018 iPad i just replaced (if I can keep it running plugged in. Recall that this is the one that won't charge anymore, but I never checked to see if it still runs when connected to power).

I used to always install the first betas on my daily-use devices, but about 5 or 6 years ago that got to be a problem. In particular, there is often an issue with mobile iron, which my firm makes me use if i want to read work email. Sometimes the fault is the OS, but often the fault is mobile iron, which has hard coded checks for iOS version numbers or something and just refuses to validate the device sometimes.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Anyone else going to install the first beta? I figure I can either use the old iPad I usually use, or the 12" 2018 iPad i just replaced (if I can keep it running plugged in. Recall that this is the one that won't charge anymore, but I never checked to see if it still runs when connected to power).

I used to always install the first betas on my daily-use devices, but about 5 or 6 years ago that got to be a problem. In particular, there is often an issue with mobile iron, which my firm makes me use if i want to read work email. Sometimes the fault is the OS, but often the fault is mobile iron, which has hard coded checks for iOS version numbers or something and just refuses to validate the device sometimes.
I usually install the first public beta. I don’t install the developer ones.

Some interesting thoughts from Matt Birchler on rumored new iPadOS features:

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
One other possibility, though, is the same M1, but at a higher clock speed. That wouldn’t contradict the comments they made about no more M1 variants, and they could say that the new design is to accommodate the thermals or something.
I actually never considered that. So far, Apple hasn't seemed to be interested in clocking the M1 higher though (very minor increase on the M1 Pro/Max/Ultra).

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

I no longer have my "spare" early iPP, so if the features REALLY look interesting I may try them on my new iPad Air that I use for entertainment.

I just realized this would be the first year I hadn't intended to play with the iPad OS beta.

I must not really care anymore, and just want my stuff to just work.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
[...] unless these MBA’s differ in some other manner than appearance from the old ones.

1654529561257.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I really want resolution independent external display(s), especially if there's a windowing type system introduced.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

I sometimes install a late public beta of iOS, though I'm also wary because of MDM and work-related apps. With macOS, I usually don't install the released version until at least three months in.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I sometimes install a late public beta of iOS, though I'm also wary because of MDM and work-related apps. With macOS, I usually don't install the released version until at least three months in.

Agree re: mac. There's seldom much I find that interesting in the mac betas anyway.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I usually install the first public beta. I don’t install the developer ones.

Some interesting thoughts from Matt Birchler on rumored new iPadOS features:

Taking the position contra to Renee Ritchie is usually a good place to be.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Anyone else going to install the first beta?

I've got an old iPhone laying around not doing much. So I'll probably test iOS. Not planning to dive immediately into iPadOS. MacOS depends. If there's some cool new thing that requires a MacOS upgrade (like SwiftUI a few years back), I'll do my laptop.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, it's a good groove, we're dancin' around on this end ...

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
To me, the pre-roll music sounds the same every year.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I‘m gonna go to the real-time “chat” if people want to join… oh wait I can’t find it

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ahh, that’s very Watch like with the color and “Widgets” (complications).

Top Bottom
1 2