The 2022 Midterms

When I first moved to Flushing, my original polling site was inside of a RC Church. Pissed me TF off. I complained and was essentially told to pound sand. One of the reasons why I became an Election Day Worker. That 1st Flushing election I encountered a poll worker telling a young Asian woman that she could not assist an older Asian woman with her ballot. Which I knew was an outright lie. The EDW tried to raise her voice with me, so I spoke with the supervisor to make sure she informed other EDWs that the law allows assistance and that workers need to be more accommodating.

Unfortunately, many of the Republican EDW I encountered were A-holes that went out of their way to not assist voters perceived as Dems. Luckily the supervisor Andre was on his toes and put as many of them away from direct contact with voters. And sent a couple home over the years. I don't miss that work at all.

Trump-backed Darren Bailey lost the IL Governor race. It’s not looking good for Kari Lake in AZ or Mastriano in PA.

Split tickets in Georgia.. Kemp is doing better than Walker… people are voting for both Kemp and Warnock. Trump is a drag on the party.

His veiled threat against De Santis won't help. In fact it will dismay the Republican Party leadership. Trump doesn't get it that after these midterms, his marginal utility to the GOP is zero.

He has so much baggage, so much legal jeopardy, shoots from the hip and impulsively attacks Republicans who are sitting members of both houses of Congress. Now he's made it clear he'll also attack any frontrunner from his own party in advance of 2024 presidential primaries.

The Sunday talk shows may soon begin to feature Rs putting yards of daylight between themselves and Trump. It was going to be a little squirmy for the party to signal it was moving on if Trump actually announced a run for 2024 before the DoJ concludes assorted criminal investigations. But for Trump just to bring thuggish insinuations that he could take out a contender for the GOP 2024 nomination before the votes are even counted in the midterms, well... that makes it simpler for the Rs to stick a fork in Trump and say he's done.

The Rs may not particularly care who carries their flag into the 2024 race for the White House, but they'll like to have a short primary season and get behind the candidate of choice. So they'll not be pleased that this millstone around their neck, Trump, is trying to drown a likely 2024 frontrunner and split the party two years before the primaries.

Mastriano loses to Shapiro.

That bodes well for Fetterman, who looks to be leading Oz by a few points. Two major Trump ass-kissers losing the state would be great.

The elections seemed to have ran mostly smooth today. Republicans will be more formidable without Trump, Americans prefer their fiscal policies (God knows why).

Florida not a total loss.. Maxwell Frost won a seat in the House.

25-Year-Old Florida Democrat Secures Generation Z’s First House Seat

Mr. Frost is a progressive Democrat whose campaign focused on issues of particular salience to many young voters: gun violence, climate change, abortion rights and Medicare for all. His background is in activism, including work with the student-led anti-gun-violence movement March for Our Lives.

Wow. Maggie Hassan is hanging onto her Senate seat, they called the race for her in NH.

Edit: adding report from WaPo

Women voters power Hassan to victory in New Hampshire

Democratic Sen. Maggie Hassan cruised to a comfortable victory over Republican challenger Don Bolduc in New Hampshire because of strong support from multiple key groups including women, college graduates and political moderates.

Women strongly preferred Hassan over Bolduc, according to early exit polling from Edison Research, with roughly 6 in 10 women supporting Hassan compared with about 4 in 10 who backed Bolduc. Ideological moderates also preferred Hassan by a similar margin.

Similar shares of Granite Staters — roughly 4 in 10 — cited inflation and abortion as their most important issues. Hassan won about 9 in 10 voters who listed abortion as their top issue and about 3 in 10 of those who cared most about inflation.

Last edited:
Georgia will be anxious till tomorrow probably. I think Warnock pulls it out when mail-in and absentee ballots are counted. But remember, in Georgia a candidate has to win more than 50% of the vote. It may lead to a runoff on December 6th.

I think Fetterman pulls it out in PA with mail-in and absentee ballots later on.

I think it's getting close to Barnes losing a great opportunity in Wisconsin, even with mail-in and absentee ballots outstanding coming in later.

Not sure I'll stay up for Nevada to see if Dems keep the seat there.

It's looking good for the Dems to keep the Senate though.

Still worried about the House, but not as much. We may lose two Dem seats in NYS. But that may have to wait till tomorrow afternoon or later for final tallies.

Georgia will be anxious till tomorrow probably. I think Warnock pulls it out when mail-in and absentee ballots are counted. But remember, in Georgia a candidate has to win more than 50% of the vote. It may lead to a runoff on December 6th.

I think Fetterman pulls it out in PA with mail-in and absentee ballots later on.

I think it's getting close to Barnes losing a great opportunity in Wisconsin, even with mail-in and absentee ballots outstanding coming in later.

It's looking good for the Dems to keep the Senate though.

Still worried about the House, but not as much. We may lose two Dem seats in NYS. But that may have to wait till tomorrow afternoon or later for final tallies.

Neither Oz or Walker are doing the numbers Trump did in 2020, and he lost both states. It will be close, but I think dems pick up both seats.

NBC projecting 219 republican seats plus or minus 13. That tells us nothing, except the dems have a great chance of holding the house. It’s going to be very close.

It’s not a good night for republicans, I’m reading sane and sober comments in the Breitbart articles… they’re rallying behind Florida and DeSantis (it was a good night for them, gerrymandered or not).

The 2024 promaries start essentially now. Trump is proven toxic, only some of his folks will win, and this isn’t the referendum on Biden the 2010 and 2018 midterms were on Obama and Trump.

Imagine if dems picked up a seat or two.. wow.

I'll be sad if Barnes loses; it's way past time for Ron Johnson to depart American politics.

Still hoping the unions will have got out the vote for her.

Back