The 2022 Midterms

SEC Football. He was an absolute star at UGA.
Actually that is probably the best answer. Although College football isn't that big up here, I would be given pause if Tom Brady (regardless of party) were to run for office. I would come to my senses if he were running as a R, but I'll admit that I would hover over the bubble.

Can't make assumptions of how ballots may go. Frisch picked up just 14 net votes in an area thought to be good for him:
Only 14? That is extremely sad.
No more updates till Thursday, November 17th. I'll be following Anna Lynn Winfrey for updates.
I've been following her too. She's right there in the thick of it and seems to have knowledgable sources.

Can someone please explain how Walker received so many votes?
SEC Football. He was an absolute star at UGA.
Actually that is probably the best answer. Although College football isn't that big up here, I would be given pause if Tom Brady (regardless of party) were to run for office. I would come to my senses if he were running as a R, but I'll admit that I would hover over the bubble.

Not me, man. The past six years have made me into a stone partisan Dem even though I still swear I'll revoke my party reggie after each set of disappointing primaries. (But of course I threaten just to become an indie, not an R.)

No hovering for me now though, or not any more. I'd vote for a Dem to be town highway supervisor even if he didn't know the back end of a mule from a John Deere lawn tractor. At least I'd know he'd not vote for tax breaks for big corporations and then cut our school budgets when the inflated new local employment promises made by those robber baron oligarchies don't pan out.

I won't even vote for a competent unopposed Republican town clerk. I cast a blank for that slot now and hope they notice the difference in the total vote, since I know a bunch of other Dems are doing that too (while also and more constructively trying to get the Dems even to put up a candidate FFS).

It's the Republican Party since Pat Buchanan and Newt Gingrich have slowly converted me to a staunch leftie in the voting booth. I used to vote for the occasional moderate Republican, but that was when there still were any on the ballot. By the time the Trump era rolled in, I was usually just voting for Dems, Working Families or once in awhile the Greens. Now it's just Dems.

Not me, man. The past six years have made me into a stone partisan Dem even though I still swear I'll revoke my party reggie after each set of disappointing primaries. (But of course I threaten just to become an indie, not an R.)

No hovering for me now though, or not any more. I'd vote for a Dem to be town highway supervisor even if he didn't know the back end of a mule from a John Deere lawn tractor. At least I'd know he'd not vote for tax breaks for big corporations and then cut our school budgets when the inflated new local employment promises made by those robber baron oligarchies don't pan out.

I won't even vote for a competent unopposed Republican town clerk. I cast a blank for that slot now and hope they notice the difference in the total vote, since I know a bunch of other Dems are doing that too (while also and more constructively trying to get the Dems even to put up a candidate FFS).

It's the Republican Party since Pat Buchanan and Newt Gingrich have slowly converted me to a staunch leftie in the voting booth. I used to vote for the occasional moderate Republican, but that was when there still were any on the ballot. By the time the Trump era rolled in, I was usually just voting for Dems, Working Families or once in awhile the Greens. Now it's just Dems.
Oh I hear you, if anything TFG made me a no more thinking about voting for an R. I was just trying to say that I kinda understand people casting a vote for a sport hero. I was being a little cheeky with my comments trying relate it with TB12, although I am a little mad that he packed up and went to Tampa Bay.

Right there with you girl. I switched from Green (I'm for the environment and wildlife/lands conservation), to Dem just to take one minuscule vote (mine) from TFG in 2016. My entire. 2022 midterms ballot was Dem. But that was easy. I made sure everyone I voted for was pro-choice.

Also, what is up with Lindsey's crocodile tears?

I remember long ago when Graham was somewhat respectable, even though he was a repub. Somehow he lost his moral compass. I think that was not long after his good friend Sen John McCain passed away and then got sucked into the current abyss.

I remember long ago when Graham was somewhat respectable, even though he was a repub. Somehow he lost his moral compass. I think that was not long after his good friend Sen John McCain passed away.
Right? I mean before TFG he was at least a little bit human. I do seem to recall McCain was the one that kept him kinda on respectable side. I didn't agree with McCain a lot, but he did gain my respect, and it was well before the thumbs down vote. Probably somewhere around his concession speech in 2012, when he corrected the crowd and thanked Obama.

Yeah, Graham is upset because he went all in on Trump, he enjoys the celebrity, but he has no real identity of his own. He was a moderate McCain buddy who became a Trump lackey and now he’ll stick his finger in the wind to see which way the GOP winds are blowing and flap that way. He’s a follower who loves the spotlight but will never be someone who sticks his neck out for anything other than himself or maybe Trump, and he only does it for Trump in the name of self preservation.

Yeah, Graham is upset because he went all in on Trump, he enjoys the celebrity, but he has no real identity of his own. He was a moderate McCain buddy who became a Trump lackey and now he’ll stick his finger in the wind to see which way the GOP winds are blowing and flap that way. He’s a follower who loves the spotlight but will never be someone who sticks his neck out for anything other than himself or maybe Trump, and he only does it for Trump in the name of self preservation.

Twenty years ago Lindsey Graham was a completely different guy. He reminded me in some ways of his opposite-party peer of another time from a neighboring state, the late Sam Ervin (D-NC) who served on the Watergate Senate Investigation committee and while a Harvard Law graduate admitted to the bar even before he finished law school, used to refer to himself as "just a simple country lawyer." He was disarming and charming in that genteel, almost courtly southern way, as was the Graham of olden times, and entirely capable of working across the aisle on measures perceived as for the common good.

That Graham was a whole other creature in terms of contribution to the Senate than is the man we know him to be now. Back then he was bipartisan, respectful of the spirit of the Constitution, interested in immigration reform, helpful on campaign finance reform and smoothing the way for SCOTUS nominee hearings whether he wanted them on the court or not. For awhile with McCain having him in tow, Graham continued along that path even as 2016 came and went and the whole GOP had to move at least somewhat to the right to accommodate the GOP's political realities in the electorate of the Trump presidency.

But something was going on there, and the public stance of Senator Graham, from that of an establishment Republican --acknowledging a new era, yet standing separate from it-- to an acolyte of Donald Trump occurred in a flash, literally days after McCain's funeral. Suddenly he was all-in with Trump, and every vestige of that Graham in an earlier time in the Senate just vanished.

Dana Milbank's column in the Washington Post of August 31, 2018 (cited below, paywall removed) took note of it, and I share his regret that we lost that Lindsey Graham so unexpectedly and fetched up on the shores of Fox News a couple days later with a creature who with rare and brief exceptions has proven himself so slavishly devoted to Donald Trump.

Washington Post / Opinion / Rest in Peace, Lindsey Graham

“I believe there is a little John McCain in all of us,” Graham said in his touching eulogy on the Senate floor. I saw a lot of McCain in the Graham I met on the Straight Talk Express two decades ago. I saw it again earlier this year when Graham lamented Trump’s sudden shift that killed the immigration compromise.

“I don’t know where that guy went,” Graham said of the Trump who, briefly, offered to compromise. “I want him back.”

I don’t know where that Graham went. I want him back.

Kelly projected winner of AZ race, defeating Republican Blake Masters.. Senate is tied. Nevada is leaning dem. That’s the senate if dems hold Nevada.

The votes that came into AZ tonight were of a batch that we wouldn’t know how they would break. They are a mix of ballots turned in on or shortly before Election Day. In 2020, those late votes broke for republicans. In 2018, they broke for dems. They are breaking dem this year. Kari Lake may lose.

Kelly projected winner of AZ race, defeating Republican Blake Masters.. Senate is tied. Nevada is leaning dem. That’s the senate if dems hold Nevada.

The votes that came into AZ tonight were of a batch that we wouldn’t know how they would break. They are a mix of ballots turned in on or shortly before Election Day. In 2020, those late votes broke for republicans. In 2018, they broke for dems. They are breaking dem this year. Kari Lake may lose.

Hot damn! 🥳🥰

LFG!!

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 7.41.39 PM.png

ETA 👏 👏 👏 :

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1591276343731580928/

Last edited:
Back